Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We should be thankful our GM doesn't overpay for some mid-season fix.

We should be thankful our GM doesn't overpay for some mid-season fix.

In all actuality Gordon isn't the answer. He's 1 failed drug test away from being suspended for an entire season. You don't risk a high draft pick for a player like that. The Browns reportedly wanted a high pick plus a player. That's too much to risk. We need to surround Geno with reliable weapons that he can actually build with. Would we draft a guy to surround Geno with who was one failed test away from being suspended for the whole year? No .. makes even less sense to trade for that guy and give up a pick. There's just no quick fix here and not enough to convince upper management to trade picks for. We need picks ... we need to build through the draft. Its the best way to get affordable and high value pieces while maintaining solid control of that talent. I know we just took a really bad whippin but we're fortunate to be 4-4 this season and a lot of our young players have shown signs. Maybe we sign some guys next year to fill in the gaps while drafting high quality talent. We can't sit here and say "we're 1 guy away from a Superbowl run" ... sure anything is possible and we seen that in 09 but there are way too many holes on this team to overly concern on fixing one now for the sake of maybe making us a 9-7 team while risking hurting us for next season or after. I don't think its worth the risk and all the high quality/reliable talent on other teams aren't going anywhere. I too would love to see this team improve immediately but at what cost?

You are only looking at half the story. Gordon is young and very cost effective against our salary cap. He also has a record of success, although it has been brief. The draft is a crap shoot. Just look at Millner or even better, Tavon (which the Rams could take that pick back?). For a 2nd or 3rd combined with conditional 5th/6th I would do the deal. I have also been persuaded that a 1st is something we should consider. This team needs playmakers on offense. In a league driven by offense, we need playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    You are only looking at half the story. Gordon is young and very cost effective against our salary cap. He also has a record of success, although it has been brief. The draft is a crap shoot. Just look at Millner or even better, Tavon (which the Rams could take that pick back?). For a 2nd or 3rd combined with conditional 5th/6th I would do the deal. I have also been persuaded that a 1st is something we should consider. This team needs playmakers on offense. In a league driven by offense, we need playmakers.
    so u want us to be the raiders? Only bring in guys with potential and talent and not look at other aspects? Lets slow down a bit ... you're willing to risk a 2nd and 5th round pick for a guy that if he fails a test we lost him, and that 2nd and 5th rounder? Gordon is EXTREMELY talented ... I liked him coming out of college and on this forum even spoke about drafting the kid but there's a reason the Browns are shopping him. That's too much of a risk. We're not 1 player away ... we need more Demario Davis type guys and Kerley's and etc. We need A LOT of those guys on this team the problem is we don't have enough cause they are badly developed or we drafted poorly. All in all ... the jury is still out on Dee he's way too young and plays one of the worst positions for a rookie to come in and contribute. Richardson is a stud, Demario Davis is the real deal, Coples led the team in sacks last year and was poorly managed this year forced to play out of position, Big Mo is pro bowler DE something you don't see too often in a 3-4 Defense. I'm not trading high value picks for Gordon .. I'm not saying we'll find better guys but even if it is a crap shoot like u say I don't wanna lose 2 shots at possible Demario Davis's & Kerley's in the future. You just never know .. sure you miss more than you strike but if Gordon is a fail here with his off the field stuff ... it will set us back for 2 years. Not worth it

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    so u want us to be the raiders? Only bring in guys with potential and talent and not look at other aspects? Lets slow down a bit ... you're willing to risk a 2nd and 5th round pick for a guy that if he fails a test we lost him, and that 2nd and 5th rounder? Gordon is EXTREMELY talented ... I liked him coming out of college and on this forum even spoke about drafting the kid but there's a reason the Browns are shopping him. That's too much of a risk. We're not 1 player away ... we need more Demario Davis type guys and Kerley's and etc. We need A LOT of those guys on this team the problem is we don't have enough cause they are badly developed or we drafted poorly. All in all ... the jury is still out on Dee he's way too young and plays one of the worst positions for a rookie to come in and contribute. Richardson is a stud, Demario Davis is the real deal, Coples led the team in sacks last year and was poorly managed this year forced to play out of position, Big Mo is pro bowler DE something you don't see too often in a 3-4 Defense. I'm not trading high value picks for Gordon .. I'm not saying we'll find better guys but even if it is a crap shoot like u say I don't wanna lose 2 shots at possible Demario Davis's & Kerley's in the future. You just never know .. sure you miss more than you strike but if Gordon is a fail here with his off the field stuff ... it will set us back for 2 years. Not worth it
    Ok, I respectfully disagree with you. Given his talent, age and contract status -- not to mention our clear need of a playmaker -- I say the Jets need to acquire him. Our in season deal with BE worked very well for us. His very friendly contract minimizes the risk. Do the deal Jets.

Why is there such a big deal being made about the drug test thing?

Every player is one ankle twist away from missing a season. At least he has control of this. It's not like Gordon is a known drug addict that can't help himself. He smoked weed in college, OMG!!!! The last test that got him 2 games was for codeine from cough syrup.

He took it like a man instead of taking the Roger Clemens route. The rules are the rules.

It's almost better to have him with no room for error, isn't it? Then have another any other player risk 4 game suspension during a critical stretch on a first offense?

Think of coming out on an opening drive and lining up 3 wide, Gordon, Holmes, and Kerley. That's something opposing D-coordinators are worrying about. Not so much: Hill, Holmes, Kerley.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post

Every player is one ankle twist away from missing a season. At least he has control of this. It's not like Gordon is a known drug addict that can't help himself. He smoked weed in college, OMG!!!! The last test that got him 2 games was for codeine from cough syrup.

He took it like a man instead of taking the Roger Clemens route. The rules are the rules.

It's almost better to have him with no room for error, isn't it? Then have another any other player risk 4 game suspension during a critical stretch on a first offense?

Think of coming out on an opening drive and lining up 3 wide, Gordon, Holmes, and Kerley. That's something opposing D-coordinators are worrying about. Not so much: Hill, Holmes, Kerley.
    u know that cough syrup thing that he had a high dose of is from "Lean" .. or that "purple stuff" .. Its basically what ended Jamarcus Russell's career and acts as a narcotic when mixed with certain things. Gordon is a crazy party dude man who likes to get high. Jets can't watch this kid day in and day out and at 22 years old its not like you can just expect him to mature over night. Way too risky man ... Its not like he's 26 years old making amends and looking for another shot ... he's in the middle of these issues hence why the Browns want to unload him. There's a difference between talent and dependable talent and please don't compare the Braylon thing with this. 2009 our defense was putting up record numbers and the Browns didn't want much at the time. Braylon was also 27 years if I'm not mistaken. That's a lot different than grabbing a 22 year old wet behind the ears. Who's going to set a great example for him here Tone? ... Think fellas ... If we were loaded with a veteran team that can protect him maybe but our star player is Big Mo who's very young, Rex is loose, Geno has no rep to demand respect from the kid Gordon either. Its a terrible idea but I'm just glad the Jets upper management agrees with me and not you. Smart move Idzzy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post

He didn't take anything like man dude he got caught lol. If there was something to fight he would have fought it duh. I'd like to know how we line up if Gordon got suspended ... ummm yeah that's right .. with the same exact receiving corps. Awesome ....

He didn't take anything like man dude he got caught lol. If there was something to fight he would have fought it duh. I'd like to know how we line up if Gordon got suspended ... ummm yeah that's right .. with the same exact receiving corps. Awesome ....
    It was codeine dude. So you're saying you're nervous that Josh Gordon is addicted to codeine?

Anyone can get suspended. Wouldn't you rather have a guy with a short leash than the leeway to get caught once and still make a few million for the year?

All League
    In all actuality Gordon isn't the answer. He's 1 failed drug test away from being suspended for an entire season. You don't risk a high draft pick for a player like that. The Browns reportedly wanted a high pick plus a player. That's too much to risk. We need to surround Geno with reliable weapons that he can actually build with. Would we draft a guy to surround Geno with who was one failed test away from being suspended for the whole year? No .. makes even less sense to trade for that guy and give up a pick. There's just no quick fix here and not enough to convince upper management to trade picks for. We need picks ... we need to build through the draft. Its the best way to get affordable and high value pieces while maintaining solid control of that talent. I know we just took a really bad whippin but we're fortunate to be 4-4 this season and a lot of our young players have shown signs. Maybe we sign some guys next year to fill in the gaps while drafting high quality talent. We can't sit here and say "we're 1 guy away from a Superbowl run" ... sure anything is possible and we seen that in 09 but there are way too many holes on this team to overly concern on fixing one now for the sake of maybe making us a 9-7 team while risking hurting us for next season or after. I don't think its worth the risk and all the high quality/reliable talent on other teams aren't going anywhere. I too would love to see this team improve immediately but at what cost?
    Great post and it shows why the jets and Idzik should covet those picks. Making in season knee jerk reactions never pay off in the long term especially for a team like this. Build through the draft, but unfortunately so many people here want short term results over long term success.

Ok, I respectfully disagree with you. Given his talent, age and contract status -- not to mention our clear need of a playmaker -- I say the Jets need to acquire him. Our in season deal with BE worked very well for us. His very friendly contract minimizes the risk. Do the deal Jets.
    Kraft has already discussed this possibility with Goodell and decided he doesn't want it to happen. Goodell said OK.

ASG, we need to get you a swagified icon, my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    ASG, we need to get you a swagified icon, my dude.
    Can you make me one?

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Can you make me one?
    Already half way there, brosef.

LOL, well done.

Idzik is an incompetent fool if they don't at least go get Fred Davis and Kenny Britt.

Kenny Britt.

lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    The same people who want to throw multiple picks at Cleveland for Gordon are the same people who will trash the hell out of Idzik as soon as he fails another piss test and gets tossed out of the league for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The same people who want to throw multiple picks at Cleveland for Gordon are the same people who will trash the hell out of Idzik as soon as he fails another piss test and gets tossed out of the league for a year.
    http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/10...eason-long-ban

Read that Cleveland perspective on dealing Gordon in reference to a season suspension. Funny how a story can build after one tweet or comment.

It's not like you're trading the farm, and you wind up with 1st round talent with a lot of the growing pains out of the way.

Jets Insider VIP
    We will have a big draft next year and a few FA pick ups. It should be a different scenario next year with Geno and a year under his belt.