Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets have a worse point differential than Vikings and Bucs

All Pro

The Jets have a worse point differential than Vikings and Bucs

Read that on yahoo today, that is just crazy...

Jets have a Point differential of - 68, Bucs are - 63 and the Vikes are - 62. I just hope the Team can continue to eek out wins and Keep up their good record for the season.

Pretty amazing that we are 4-4.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Read that on yahoo today, that is just crazy...

Jets have a Point differential of - 68, Bucs are - 63 and the Vikes are - 62. I just hope the Team can continue to eek out wins and Keep up their good record for the season.
    Where are the Giants at?? I checked 82..
    Last edited by Savage69; 10-29-2013 at 05:15 PM.

2 penalties...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    What are the Giants at?? I checked 82..

And to 2foolish197, I dont think the penalties have much to do with Point differential. We were good enough to win those particular games, the NFL year is made of 16 one game seasons...

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    D can keep them in, can O score, can ST cover etc.?

All Pro
    Point differential can be overrated.

Blowout wins or losses skew it to much.

Jets lost to the Bengals by 40 points. Lets say they scored two TDs in garbage time -- would that have changed the game? No, but it would effect point differential a great deal. IMO once you lose by three touchdowns anything on top of that doesn't really matter.

That said, we've obviously had several close wins and several lopsided losses. It's fair to say we're a bit lucky to be 4-4.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

Jets lost to the Bengals by 40 points. Lets say they scored two TDs in garbage time -- would that have changed the game? No, but it would effect point differential a great deal. IMO once you lose by three touchdowns anything on top of that doesn't really matter.

That said, we've obviously had several close wins and several lopsided losses. It's fair to say we're a bit lucky to be 4-4.
    Good post.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Good post.
    That's obvious.

Win by heart attack, lose comfortably.

And to 2foolish197, I dont think the penalties have much to do with Point differential. We were good enough to win those particular games, the NFL year is made of 16 one game seasons...
    i'm just saying 2 penalties and we'd prolly be 2-6...which would be more in line with the point thingy majiggy...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    i'm just saying 2 penalties and we'd prolly be 2-6...which would be more in line with the point thingy majiggy...
    No doubt.

Veteran
    When we win, its pretty close. When they beat us up, they beat us by a lot. It isn't even a beating, its more like a rape.

Practice Squad
    Barnwell uses the point differential as part of the Pythagorean expectation calculations in each pre-season to predict the fortunes of each team going into the new season. Watch for him to downgrade the Jets in 2014 if the Jets keep up a similar points differential for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

Agreed. And the Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in the 1960 World Series.... Guess which team was the World Champs? Throw all the other crap out the window. It is about winning games. Winners make the key plays to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Barnwell uses the point differential as part of the Pythagorean expectation calculations in each pre-season to predict the fortunes of each team going into the new season. Watch for him to downgrade the Jets in 2014 if the Jets keep up a similar points differential for the rest of the season.
    who? what?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    who? what?
    Here's a primer.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-get-feel-2013

i think it has a lot to do with the 2 games against Tenn and Cinn

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Win by heart attack, lose comfortably.
    This.................LOL!! That's the Jets.

Point differential is a better predictor of future success than wins and losses.

Winning a game by 2 points doesn't mean that you're better than the other team. Sure, you made some plays, but if a bounce here or there goes the other way, you would have lost. Blowout wins and losses tell you a lot more about the quality of a team. Even the best teams will lose. They will only be blown out on rare occasions. Bad teams will win games. They will only run the other team off the field on rare occasions.

We are 2 penalties away from being 2-6. And they're not just 2 penalties. We didn't draw a pass interference, force a holding call, or draw someone offsides. The penalties were pure stupidity on the part of our opponents.

"You are what your record says you are."?

Only in the standings. Anyone that's watched sports for any period of time knows there's a difference between where a team sits in the standing and how good they really are.