Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: The Jets have a worse point differential than Vikings and Bucs

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Jets have a worse point differential than Vikings and Bucs

    Read that on yahoo today, that is just crazy...

    Jets have a Point differential of - 68, Bucs are - 63 and the Vikes are - 62. I just hope the Team can continue to eek out wins and Keep up their good record for the season.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty amazing that we are 4-4.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Read that on yahoo today, that is just crazy...

    Jets have a Point differential of - 68, Bucs are - 63 and the Vikes are - 62. I just hope the Team can continue to eek out wins and Keep up their good record for the season.
    Where are the Giants at?? I checked 82..
    Last edited by Savage69; 10-29-2013 at 05:15 PM.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 penalties...

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    What are the Giants at?? I checked 82..
    - 82

    And to 2foolish197, I dont think the penalties have much to do with Point differential. We were good enough to win those particular games, the NFL year is made of 16 one game seasons...

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    D can keep them in, can O score, can ST cover etc.?

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Point differential can be overrated.

    Blowout wins or losses skew it to much.

    Jets lost to the Bengals by 40 points. Lets say they scored two TDs in garbage time -- would that have changed the game? No, but it would effect point differential a great deal. IMO once you lose by three touchdowns anything on top of that doesn't really matter.

    That said, we've obviously had several close wins and several lopsided losses. It's fair to say we're a bit lucky to be 4-4.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Point differential can be overrated.

    Blowout wins or losses skew it to much.

    Jets lost to the Bengals by 40 points. Lets say they scored two TDs in garbage time -- would that have changed the game? No, but it would effect point differential a great deal. IMO once you lose by three touchdowns anything on top of that doesn't really matter.

    That said, we've obviously had several close wins and several lopsided losses. It's fair to say we're a bit lucky to be 4-4.
    Good post.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Good post.
    That's obvious.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Win by heart attack, lose comfortably.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    - 82

    And to 2foolish197, I dont think the penalties have much to do with Point differential. We were good enough to win those particular games, the NFL year is made of 16 one game seasons...
    i'm just saying 2 penalties and we'd prolly be 2-6...which would be more in line with the point thingy majiggy...

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    i'm just saying 2 penalties and we'd prolly be 2-6...which would be more in line with the point thingy majiggy...
    No doubt.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portlandia, OR
    Posts
    896
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we win, its pretty close. When they beat us up, they beat us by a lot. It isn't even a beating, its more like a rape.

  14. #14
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barnwell uses the point differential as part of the Pythagorean expectation calculations in each pre-season to predict the fortunes of each team going into the new season. Watch for him to downgrade the Jets in 2014 if the Jets keep up a similar points differential for the rest of the season.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Point differential can be overrated.

    Blowout wins or losses skew it to much.

    Jets lost to the Bengals by 40 points. Lets say they scored two TDs in garbage time -- would that have changed the game? No, but it would effect point differential a great deal. IMO once you lose by three touchdowns anything on top of that doesn't really matter.

    That said, we've obviously had several close wins and several lopsided losses. It's fair to say we're a bit lucky to be 4-4.
    Agreed. And the Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in the 1960 World Series.... Guess which team was the World Champs? Throw all the other crap out the window. It is about winning games. Winners make the key plays to win games.

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Barnwell uses the point differential as part of the Pythagorean expectation calculations in each pre-season to predict the fortunes of each team going into the new season. Watch for him to downgrade the Jets in 2014 if the Jets keep up a similar points differential for the rest of the season.
    who? what?

  17. #17
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    who? what?
    Here's a primer.

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-get-feel-2013

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think it has a lot to do with the 2 games against Tenn and Cinn

  19. #19
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Win by heart attack, lose comfortably.
    This.................LOL!! That's the Jets.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Point differential is a better predictor of future success than wins and losses.

    Winning a game by 2 points doesn't mean that you're better than the other team. Sure, you made some plays, but if a bounce here or there goes the other way, you would have lost. Blowout wins and losses tell you a lot more about the quality of a team. Even the best teams will lose. They will only be blown out on rare occasions. Bad teams will win games. They will only run the other team off the field on rare occasions.

    We are 2 penalties away from being 2-6. And they're not just 2 penalties. We didn't draw a pass interference, force a holding call, or draw someone offsides. The penalties were pure stupidity on the part of our opponents.

    "You are what your record says you are."?

    Only in the standings. Anyone that's watched sports for any period of time knows there's a difference between where a team sits in the standing and how good they really are.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us