Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Wright's latest mock (10.29.13)

Veteran

Scott Wright's latest mock (10.29.13)

Yes, I know it's extremely early for these type of posts, but they're still interesting. I really want Watkins to fall to us, but in the likely event that doesn't happen I could see us going TE or OLB. Not sure I like this pick, though -- his small size kind of scares me. Thoughts?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 10-31-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    The only defensive player I would be ok with in round one is Barr and to a lesser extent Khalil Mack.

If the board fell like that I would want Ebron the TE.

If the Giants dont go OL Eli should have the right to kick his GM square in the nuts. Manziel to the Browns LOLOLOL LOL.. Mettenburger in the 1st to KC who has no 2nd round? One RB in the 1st and that is Thomas?? Dude so much isnt wright here.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 10-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If the Giants dont go OL Eli should have the right to kick his GM square in the nuts. Manziel to the Browns LOLOLOL LOL.. Mettenburger in the 1st to KC who has no 2nd round? One RB in the 1st and that is Thomas?? Dude so much isnt wright here.
    I think Wright's mock are pretty consistently awful, but I could see Manziel to the Browns very easily. Who else do they have at the position? Don't even tell me you'd pass up a potential franchise QB for Brian Hoyer.

Veteran
    After reading the link posted and him having Nix listed at number 12, well I just had too laugh. How can you take anyone serious with Nix that high? He has had a horrible season and easily gets blocked one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I think Wright's mock are pretty consistently awful, but I could see Manziel to the Browns very easily. Who else do they have at the position? Don't even tell me you'd pass up a potential franchise QB for Brian Hoyer.
    I can see them signing Vick or Cutler before wasting anther 1st on a guy like Manziel. Heck maybe in the 2nd they take Boyd. Manziel is a 4th round guy not a 1st round prospect. Any DM makes that call in the 1st should be fired on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    After reading the link posted and him having Nix listed at number 12, well I just had too laugh. How can you take anyone serious with Nix that high? He has had a horrible season and easily gets blocked one on one.
    He is a pure NT will likely go earlier then he should. Personally I would never take a NT in the 1st. People always say it is the most important part of a 3-4 but some of the best 3-4s ever didnt spend a lot on their NTs. Unless it is a Suh or Nagata like DE/NT guy I wouldnt even consider it. Nix is not that he is more of a Cody.

The rationale for taking Beasely instead of a receiver makes some sense, however i would hate that pick if it happened. I would easily take DeAnthony Thomas at 20 if given the chance, kid is an absolute stud and our offense is in dire need of playmakers. If we have to go defense in rd.1 make it a safety. For our pick my top choices would be

Mike Evans
    Sammy Watkins
    Marquise Lee
    Anthony Barr
    Hasean Clinton-Dix
    DeAnthony Thomas

Veteran
    I can see them signing Vick or Cutler before wasting anther 1st on a guy like Manziel. Heck maybe in the 2nd they take Boyd. Manziel is a 4th round guy not a 1st round prospect. Any DM makes that call in the 1st should be fired on the spot.
    My guess is that the Browns will try to aggressively move up to grab Mariotta or Hundley. They have plenty of ammunition to do so, with 5 or 6 picks in the first three rounds.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by the jetropolitan ranger View Post
    I would easily take DeAnthony Thomas at 20 if given the chance, kid is an absolute stud and our offense is in dire need of playmakers. If we have to go defense in rd.1 make it a safety. For our pick my top choices would be

Mike Evans
    Sammy Watkins
    Marquise Lee
    Anthony Barr
    Hasean Clinton-Dix
    DeAnthony Thomas
    Evans scares me. I feel like his speed is going to be in question after the combine. Maybe I'm wrong, but right now I'd rather opt for a blue chip TE.

Jets Insider VIP
    As usual I have no idea what you are talking about. Manziel will go absolute latest early 2nd rd.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Yes, I know it's extremely early for these type of posts, but they're still interesting. I really want Watkins to fall to us, but in the likely event that doesn't happen I could see us going TE or OLB. Not sure I like this pick, though -- his small size kind of scares me. Thoughts?

I am pretty familiar with Beasley. He is really small, its not so much that he is just around 235 lbs, but he is only 6'2". He is pretty similar to Bruce Irvin when he came out last year. I am sure Rex is pretty familiar with Beasley as well since his son plays for Clemson and Rex has been at spring and fall practices this year. On a side note, Rex LOVES Sammy Watkins, he says he runs as hard as any WR he has seen with that kind of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    As usual I have no idea what you are talking about. Manziel will go absolute latest early 2nd rd.
    I dont think Manziel even declares. 2nd year, doesnt have pro ability or size, lacks a upside as a pro, doesnt need the money, he is already famous, and loves his college life too much. Seriously what is his motivation to be a pro? He just saw what happened to Tebow you think he wants to mirror that? If he declares not one agent or scout will say he is 1st round talent. Not a chance. If he goes in the 2nd it in on name alone. He is 4th round talent in most drafts. At best he is anther Doug Flutie who no one wanted. Your just not talking about a guy a pro coach or GM is going to fall in love with. He just doesnt bring enough to the table. Just being an exciting college player doesnt make you a good pro prospect. He flat out doesnt pass the eye test.

Hall Of Fame
    I dont think Manziel even declares. 2nd year, doesnt have pro ability or size, lacks a upside as a pro, doesnt need the money, he is already famous, and loves his college life too much. Seriously what is his motivation to be a pro? He just saw what happened to Tebow you think he wants to mirror that? If he declares not one agent or scout will say he is 1st round talent. Not a chance. If he goes in the 2nd it in on name alone. He is 4th round talent in most drafts. At best he is anther Doug Flutie who no one wanted. Your just not talking about a guy a pro coach or GM is going to fall in love with. He just doesnt bring enough to the table. Just being an exciting college player doesnt make you a good pro prospect. He flat out doesnt pass the eye test.
    Manziel hates being in college right now, has alluded to it so many times. He is gone after this season, no doubt about it. I think he has a lot of work to do to show he can sit in the pocket and throw the ball effectively at the NFL level. I do think there will a couple of GMs who think he is worth a shot, he will probably go in the second round. I wouldnt touch him myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Manziel hates being in college right now, has alluded to it so many times. He is gone after this season, no doubt about it. I think he has a lot of work to do to show he can sit in the pocket and throw the ball effectively at the NFL level. I do think there will a couple of GMs who think he is worth a shot, he will probably go in the second round. I wouldnt touch him myself.
    He'll probably end up in the first round, some GM will really like him. A lot of teams need QBs. It wouldn't even shock me to see the Eagles draft him in the top 10, considering how his talents match what Kelly wants to do. Or maybe the Texans take a local guy to excite their fanbase. The Browns are another team that wouldn't shock me. Dreamers assessment of him, as you pointed out, is way off. Manziel would declare today if he could, he hates college and wants to play for pay. Yes, there is risk, but that type of talent and intrigue rarely slips that far. It takes just one team to look past the character concerns and suddenly he is a high pick. Outside of Bridgewater and Mariota (assuming he declares), I don't think there is a sure thing to be the next QB taken over Manziel. It may not play out that way, but there's really no one else you can point to and say "that guy is definitely getting drafted before Manziel."

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    He'll probably end up in the first round, some GM will really like him. A lot of teams need QBs. It wouldn't even shock me to see the Eagles draft him in the top 10, considering how his talents match what Kelly wants to do. Or maybe the Texans take a local guy to excite their fanbase. The Browns are another team that wouldn't shock me. Dreamers assessment of him, as you pointed out, is way off. Manziel would declare today if he could, he hates college and wants to play for pay. Yes, there is risk, but that type of talent and intrigue rarely slips that far. It takes just one team to look past the character concerns and suddenly he is a high pick. Outside of Bridgewater and Mariota (assuming he declares), I don't think there is a sure thing to be the next QB taken over Manziel. It may not play out that way, but there's really no one else you can point to and say "that guy is definitely getting drafted before Manziel."
    Agreed. If Tebow could go in the first, anything is possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    I really have no idea what you have been watching the past two years. This guy is without a doubt a top QB prospect.

If Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Tebow etc can go in the first, I like Manziel's odds to do the same. QB's time and time get pushed up the draft board.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 10-31-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Agreed. If Tebow could go in the first, anything is possible.
    That was exactly the example I was going to point to.

This is what most people are saying. I also wouldnt say he hates being in college he just hates the pressure of being in the public eye all the time. Not sure how going pro makes that better. I have read the comments by his dad and other stuff that pretty much paint a bad character that is a high risk. He is anther Orton IMO only without the size. He isnt Tebow people need to stop making that comparison. Tebow the the most exciting college QB ever and gave an interesting physical package. He just never developed like Collin did who had much of the same traits. Manziel has a lot of talent but isnt in the right place. His own dad says he wouldnt be shocked if his son snapped one day. How does that relate to him as a 1st round QB? Nothing I have read on Johnny makes me think he is worth a 1st rounder. He has had to get help for drinking and anger issues. Character wise he has major red flags and physically he doesnt have a great upside like Cam Newton. Really outside of Cam I have seem much better prospect drop for less. All I see is a small guy with an average arm and good athletic ability. He has some good but is a complete rebuild project not a Wilson type guy. No way do you look at his game and say he is plug and play week one. He would get killed if he did. Maybe as a Brad Smith Randell El type player I'd take him in the 2nd but as a QB I dont see where he has enough upside to warrant that pick. Manziel has very good accuracy on short passes but outside of that nothing tells me he will ever be anything greater an a patch QB as a pro. Sorry guys Im not buying here and I find it hard to believe any coach would want to jump on him. Yes I agree you can make an argument for Chip who did sign him in college but I also think he knows what kind of person he is. I dont see Chip putting his career on the line with a 1st on him. Again maybe a 2nd but for some reason I dont see Chip looking at him. I think Chip would be more inclined to go Mariota or Boyd. I'm not high on Boyd either but there is no doubt he is a better prospect then Manziel. If the Eagles are smart they will get their QB in the 2nd anyway. A lot of guys that can run a Chip O here none of them look all that spectacular as a pro prospect. It is a weak QB class I just dont expect teams to really be reaching for some of these guys. They only fit Os that you dont see a lot of in the NFL. It was why I was so high on Hundley until last week. I just dont see a lot of teams looking to draft that kind of QB much less jump on one early in the 1st with character issues. To be honest I dont see a lot of teams looking to daft a QB this year either. As far as Cleveland they have reach on QBs like 4 times in ten years now. At some point they have to stop doing that. I wouldnt be shocked if they blew their load trying to get Teddy though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post

The consensus the last 3 years or so was either WR, TE, or OLB,.. So I am willing to bet it isn't once again..