Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 New York Jets Head Coaching Job

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has already saved his job we were supposed to e the worst team in the NFL by far with 0 talent and no QB. The fact that we're 4-4 and competitive is a huge credit to Rex and the CS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Would be nice to go to a home playoff game.
    Don't tell me the last Jet home playoff game was 02 against the colts

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex has already saved his job we were supposed to e the worst team in the NFL by far with 0 talent and no QB. The fact that we're 4-4 and competitive is a huge credit to Rex and the CS.
    And if the Jets go 4-12....5-11?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barring a huge second half collapse I think Rex will be back.

If he's not we need to bring in an offensive minded head coach. We haven't had one in 20 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    That a HUGE issue Rex haters fail to see......if we had a top 10 QB most of these guys wouldn't have the hatred they have for him.
    But a huge issue Rex supporters fail to admit is a QB in his G&P system would never be a top QB who could carry the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    But a huge issue Rex supporters fail to admit is a QB in his G&P system would never be a top QB who could carry the team.
    Don't tell me you think if Rex had a Brady,Manning,Bree's or Rogers he would still want G&P??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Don't tell me you think if Rex had a Brady,Manning,Bree's or Rogers he would still want G&P??
    LMAO Exactly.....

Look at how much our offense has changed even with a rookie QB because of a new system and OC....

As long as this team stays the course the Rex haters will continue to run out of material....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    LMAO Exactly.....

Look at how much our offense has changed even with a rookie QB because of a new system and OC....

As long as this team stays the course the Rex haters will continue to run out of material....
    Rex is coaching for his life, he finally realized if he didn't have some offense he could be in big trouble, desperation move by him.

But even with this he's still having a hard time relenting complete control of the O, you can't tell me the Pitt gameplan didn't reek of Rex .

Again I'm not a Rex hater, I just can't sit by and watch while he gets a pass on everything by his adoring fans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Rex knew one way to run an offense, its what he grew up in and its what the Ravens offense looked like when he was there. It was fortunate that the team he inherited was capable of running the ball. I truly don't know what he would have done with a Brady or Brees etc , but I can only surmise they wouldn't have been had the gaudy stats they had with their respective teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex wouldn't be so bad in the eyes of some if it weren't for his herp derp game decisions. FB is clearly a yard short of the 1st down? MAKE IT RAIN CHALLENGE FLAGS! Down by 2 TDs with a minute left in the first half with 2 timeouts? Yeah, let's go ahead and run the ball up the gut 3 times for a few yards and punt the ball back to the other team with time to put together a quick drive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, as much as I do like Rex, I believe anything short of a playoff run will give REX the axe. He isn't HIS guy, so it is natural. But who knows.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I think you are wrong about this.
    There are folks here who want to extend Rex after 4 1/2 years and he hasnt even come close to the level of success that Cowher had with the Steelers his first 6 years.
    If Rex were to win the AFC East in 5 of his first 6 years no one would be calling for him to be fired even without a Super Bowl ring.
    Its not about Rex not winning the SB. Rex simply does not have a very good record. Rex doesnt come close to Cowher's level of success.

Lets look at Rex's record: In 2009 he inherits a talented veteran team that went 9-7 the year before and goes 9-7 with the last 2 wins against teams who laid down and didnt play to win, got hot in the playoffs and was overmatched against a better Indy team. In 2010 Rex starts the season 9-2 and sputters to an 11-5 record. He has big wins at Indy and NE but his vaunted defense doesnt show up for the first half of the AFCCG and they come up short. In 2011 he goes 8-8 and the team comes apart on the last day of the season despite having a chance at the playoffs. In 2012 he goes 6-10 with some very embarrassing losses against SF, Miami at home, Seattle, NE.

Now compare that to Cowher: He takes over a 7-9 team and goes 11-5 his first year winning the division. He then goes 9-7, 12-4 (wins division and loses in AFCCG) and 11-5 (wins division and gets to Super Bowl but loses).
    So to compare the first 4 seasons: Rex has two winning seasons, 34 wins vs 30 losses, zero division titles, and 2 AFCCG appearances (both losses) while Cowher has 4 winning seasons, 43 wins vs 21 losses, 3 division titles, 2 AFCCG appearances (1 win and 1 loss) and 1 Super Bowl appearance.

If Rex had the same success as Cowher his first 4 years, I guarantee you almost no one would be calling for him to be fired.
    Mangina was lucky to have Brett farve healthy for half season.. They were what 8-3? Before farve had torn bicept and became as bad as what Rex had to endure with Sanchez, and jets got plowed rest of season.. You point out he took over a veteran team.. Lets examine that.. Other than bringing over Bart Scott and Jim leaonard defense was practically same.. Scott was then a good player but are you going to give him the credit for making transforming the defense from a league ranked 16th and 18th in two seasons before Rex to #1 and number #3 overall in 09 and 10 seasons under Rex? That is unbelievable feat for a coach to do immediately with 99% of players left from Mangini...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Rex wouldn't be so bad in the eyes of some if it weren't for his herp derp game decisions. FB is clearly a yard short of the 1st down? MAKE IT RAIN CHALLENGE FLAGS! Down by 2 TDs with a minute left in the first half with 2 timeouts? Yeah, let's go ahead and run the ball up the gut 3 times for a few yards and punt the ball back to the other team with time to put together a quick drive.
    fifth year into being a head coach and making the same dumb mistakes (to name a few) is reason enough to guide him to the door.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are wrong about this.
    There are folks here who want to extend Rex after 4 1/2 years and he hasnt even come close to the level of success that Cowher had with the Steelers his first 6 years.
    This is very true. However, how many coaches have had the success Cowher has had in his first 6 years? How many coaches have had Rex's 2 years? Not many. Problem is that I think we're using the last year and 1/2 (meaning 2nd half of 2011 and entire 2012) as our measuring sticks.

If Rex were to win the AFC East in 5 of his first 6 years no one would be calling for him to be fired even without a Super Bowl ring.
    This is VERY true. I think if Rex went to the playoffs 3/4 years no one would be saying anything, but the last year and a half it's been a downward spiral compared to years 1 & 2. Again, that's our measuring stick.

Its not about Rex not winning the SB. Rex simply does not have a very good record. Rex doesnt come close to Cowher's level of success.

Lets look at Rex's record: In 2009 he inherits a talented veteran team that went 9-7 the year before and goes 9-7 with the last 2 wins against teams who laid down and didnt play to win, got hot in the playoffs and was overmatched against a better Indy team. In 2010 Rex starts the season 9-2 and sputters to an 11-5 record. He has big wins at Indy and NE but his vaunted defense doesnt show up for the first half of the AFCCG and they come up short. In 2011 he goes 8-8 and the team comes apart on the last day of the season despite having a chance at the playoffs.

In 2012 he goes 6-10 with some very embarrassing losses against SF, Miami at home, Seattle, NE.
    These very embarrassing loses are the most disturbing. We just had another one. Was Cincinnati that much better than us? 40 points? I see preparation as part of the problem there = coaching.

Now compare that to Cowher: He takes over a 7-9 team and goes 11-5 his first year winning the division. He then goes 9-7, 12-4 (wins division and loses in AFCCG) and 11-5 (wins division and gets to Super Bowl but loses).
    I still think Rex would have had a division, but the Patriot dynasty was still at it's height. Did Cowher have to contend with a team like that early on?

So to compare the first 4 seasons: Rex has two winning seasons, 34 wins vs 30 losses, zero division titles, and 2 AFCCG appearances (both losses) while Cowher has 4 winning seasons, 43 wins vs 21 losses, 3 division titles, 2 AFCCG appearances (1 win and 1 loss) and 1 Super Bowl appearance.

If Rex had the same success as Cowher his first 4 years, I guarantee you almost no one would be calling for him to be fired.
    Cowher and Rex are not comparable by your analysis. Point is well made, and I think you're right about most of it. I think that having a power like NE in the same division is problematic towards making the analysis, as Cowher didn't have that. Also, Cowher had 2 AFCCG appearances, same as Rex. That is a direct comparison and one can say that Rex overachieved since everything else is in Cowher's favor.

Having said all of that, if Rex was gone at the end of the year, who is better to replace him? I would welcome a Cowher like coach, but I don't see anyone viable at this point. Rex isn't a bad coach, like some feel, rather I think he's grown up the last 3 years and this year is one of his better performances (last game being an anomaly…hopefully). We'll see. Excellent post, BTW..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    This is very true. However, how many coaches have had the success Cowher has had in his first 6 years? How many coaches have had Rex's 2 years? Not many. Problem is that I think we're using the last year and 1/2 (meaning 2nd half of 2011 and entire 2012) as our measuring sticks.

This is VERY true. I think if Rex went to the playoffs 3/4 years no one would be saying anything, but the last year and a half it's been a downward spiral compared to years 1 & 2. Again, that's our measuring stick.

Lets look at Rex's record: In 2009 he inherits a talented veteran team that went 9-7 the year before and goes 9-7 with the last 2 wins against teams who laid down and didnt play to win, got hot in the playoffs and was overmatched against a better Indy team. In 2010 Rex starts the season 9-2 and sputters to an 11-5 record. He has big wins at Indy and NE but his vaunted defense doesnt show up for the first half of the AFCCG and they come up short. In 2011 he goes 8-8 and the team comes apart on the last day of the season despite having a chance at the playoffs.

These very embarrassing loses are the most disturbing. We just had another one. Was Cincinnati that much better than us? 40 points? I see preparation as part of the problem there = coaching.

I still think Rex would have had a division, but the Patriot dynasty was still at it's height. Did Cowher have to contend with a team like that early on?

Cowher and Rex are not comparable by your analysis. Point is well made, and I think you're right about most of it. I think that having a power like NE in the same division is problematic towards making the analysis, as Cowher didn't have that. Also, Cowher had 2 AFCCG appearances, same as Rex. That is a direct comparison and one can say that Rex overachieved since everything else is in Cowher's favor.

Having said all of that, if Rex was gone at the end of the year, who is better to replace him? I would welcome a Cowher like coach, but I don't see anyone viable at this point. Rex isn't a bad coach, like some feel, rather I think he's grown up the last 3 years and this year is one of his better performances (last game being an anomaly…hopefully). We'll see. Excellent post, BTW..
    Other than maybe ravens in 2000??? With Trent dilfer.. Has there ever been a coach to get to back to back AFCCGs with such a bad qb??? I would have rather had dilfer.. I will give Sanchez this as bad as his stats were in reg season he played better in playoffs up until both AFCGs .. He played a "terrible " half of football in each of those games.. Impossible to win when your qb plays Terrible half a game when top qbs like Peyton and Big Ben and playing a full game of great football... I was curious what cowher could bring to table 5 years ago but geez how long has he been out of the game? I wouldn't want to roll the dice on him.. There is no one in NFl who would run the jets D better than Rex, he knows exactly how to use them.. I think jets are a good pass rushing OLB and better secondary play to be top flight D with Rex.. And I love Marty, he is huge.. Look at saints, they won bowl with Sean Payton running the O, maybe best O mind in game.. And very good Dcord in Williams.. They weren't that great when that bond broke.. Now look at them.. Rob Ryan running the D, which is giving up 100 yards less per game than last yr, and Payton running the O behind brees.. Payton doesn't interfere with the D and obvious Ryan doesn't interfere with the O.. Rex and Marty are identically dominant combo, they just lack the same talent.. Imagine if we had Brees and some of those explosive O players?
    Last edited by Cleansweep2013; 11-03-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex is gone if the Jets don't go at least 8-8

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggreenugly View Post
    And if the Jets go 4-12....5-11?
    Sorry Mike Francesa to spoil your hopes but that's not happening.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    1. Joe Flacco just won a Super Bowl in a G&P system. So did Roethlisberger just a couple years before that.

2. We're not really G&P anymore our playbook is more balanced.

3. I thought the media kept telling me Rex had nothing to do with the offense?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    1. Joe Flacco just won a Super Bowl in a G&P system. So did Roethlisberger just a couple years before that.

2. We're not really G&P anymore our playbook is more balanced.

3. I thought the media kept telling me Rex had nothing to do with the offense?
    They want it both ways.

The media is bi.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    They want it both ways.

The media is bi.
    I know Mike Francesa, Adam Schein, Mark Malusis, Stephen A Smith and Sid Rosenberg are bi but I would not call the entire media bi.