Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clowney

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Still a better pick then taking a huge push on a QB. That is how teams end up with Russell and Leaf for 3-4 years and dont develop as a team. Clowney is a sure bet. Some average QB prospect isnt going to make Jax better overnight and TB already has a good project QB. They can pick up a guy like Vick in FA and wait till a better QB class pops up. They dont have to blow their future on a poor QB class reach.
    You think this is a poor QB class? It is miles better than last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    I disagree. Looks like the same class to me. No one is worth a high pick. Teddy is the only real 1st rounder out of the bunch. Geno looked better then him IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also depends if you really believe the spread O is going to be a pro staple. If you do it is a great draft. If you think it is not then this looks like a **** class. Very few coaches will really want guys like Mariota, Boyd, and Manzeil. If they even declare. Your talking 3 guys that are 2-4 round in most past drafts. There isnt one old school QB to be had and those are the guys that go early most of the time. It is why you have seen guys like Gabbert and Locker pushed as 1st rounders. Unless they are a all round guy like RG3 or just a freak like Cam you really dont see those guys early. Mariota to me is the best of those 3 and he is no Cam I dont even think he is a Vince Young who was more hype then talent. I wouldnt touch any of them in the 1st round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree. Looks like the same class to me. No one is worth a high pick. Teddy is the only real 1st rounder out of the bunch. Geno looked better then him IMO.
    At least you threw in the IMO. I don't see anything that Geno did better than Bridgewater does. And that's not a slight against Geno. I think Bridgewater is as good as it gets, excepting generational prospects like Luck. I think he's better than Ryan (better arm), Stafford (more consistent), Bradford and RGIII (no concerns about the offense he plays in).

I remember believing that Rivers was significantly better than Eli and having no opinion about Roethlisberger, but I didn't watch nearly enough of their games to have developed an informed opinion about any of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also depends if you really believe the spread O is going to be a pro staple. If you do it is a great draft. If you think it is not then this looks like a **** class. Very few coaches will really want guys like Mariota, Boyd, and Manzeil. If they even declare. Your talking 3 guys that are 2-4 round in most past drafts. There isnt one old school QB to be had and those are the guys that go early most of the time. It is why you have seen guys like Gabbert and Locker pushed as 1st rounders. Unless they are a all round guy like RG3 or just a freak like Cam you really dont see those guys early. Mariota to me is the best of those 3 and he is no Cam I dont even think he is a Vince Young who was more hype then talent. I wouldnt touch any of them in the 1st round.
    Mariota will be drafted in the 1st round for the same reason that Locker was: He's a big, strong kid with a big arm. Locker couldn't throw for **** in college. Mariota has an exceptional set of tools and his production in that offense is well beyond what any other Oregon QB has managed. I'm not a fan personally, but I see what others like about him. I think he's better than VY, who I never thought anything of. I see him as a slightly less impressive Cam Newton. I hated Cam as a college football fan, thought he was a massive d-bag, but he was consistently making plays. He ran the read option a ton (like, almost a literal ton), but I still feel like he was less a product of the offense than Mariota currently is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    At least you threw in the IMO. I don't see anything that Geno did better than Bridgewater does. And that's not a slight against Geno. I think Bridgewater is as good as it gets, excepting generational prospects like Luck. I think he's better than Ryan (better arm), Stafford (more consistent), Bradford and RGIII (no concerns about the offense he plays in).

I remember believing that Rivers was significantly better than Eli and having no opinion about Roethlisberger, but I didn't watch nearly enough of their games to have developed an informed opinion about any of them.
    Teddy is OK but isnt a blue chip guy I would want to tie my career with if I was a GM. Make me think too much of guys like Colt Brennan and Brohm really. Never bought his hype either. Like I said seems like he is still the best prospect it is just a weak draft. I dont see him as a better prospect then Geno was at all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Mariota will be drafted in the 1st round for the same reason that Locker was: He's a big, strong kid with a big arm. Locker couldn't throw for **** in college. Mariota has an exceptional set of tools and his production in that offense is well beyond what any other Oregon QB has managed. I'm not a fan personally, but I see what others like about him. I think he's better than VY, who I never thought anything of. I see him as a slightly less impressive Cam Newton. I hated Cam as a college football fan, thought he was a massive d-bag, but he was consistently making plays. He ran the read option a ton (like, almost a literal ton), but I still feel like he was less a product of the offense than Mariota currently is.
    Mariota value is still very much TBD. He faces Stanford this week which will be his biggest challenge so far. He struggled early in the year but last week came out huge. I think his next 3 games then his bowl game will very much set his value. I think he will be there if chip wants him. I dont see team giving up 3 1st rounders for him like he is RG3 but I can see some team saying they can mold him. He will indeed be seen as a VY, Kordell Stewart, Eric Crouch, Tommie Frazier type guy. Yeah Im just not sure how much those comparisons are worth to be honest. A ton of potential but needs to be remolded. All of them had pro ability. If he has the right attitude about it it could work. As far as history goes I dont see a top 10 up side here. He is going to have to really be spectacular going forth more so then VY was. He was spectacular. I was a VY fan in college and even said I wouldnt want him on my pro team. The fact Houston past on him IMO should have told everyone he wasnt a top ten talent. I actually believe McNair sold the FO on Young because he wanted to go to a contender.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares he is going in the top 2. He will be in TB or Jax next year.
    Jets aren't winning another game this year, are you kidding with this ****?

Jets are a circus and will likely have a top 2 pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
    Jets aren't winning another game this year, are you kidding with this ****?

Jets are a circus and will likely have a top 2 pick.
    I'm so SARI you can't enjoy another big JETS WIN HAHAHAHA

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dreamers you better be here when bridge water, mariiotta, Manziel and even possibly Boyd go in the first round

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Dreamers you better be here when bridge water, mariiotta, Manziel and even possibly Boyd go in the first round
    Dreamers would take Jeff Tuel over Bridgewater or Mariotta.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clowney is perhaps the best passrushing prospect to come out since Julius Peppers. Anyone buying into the media hype saying he has regressed, are wrong.
    Exactly! The quickness and variety of pass rushing moves that he possesses at his size are Special. Typical case of senioritis, he is a once in a decade Talent...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Lol at least he is consistent in his absurdity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Hey I liked Tuel as the 4th QB last year. Again it was a weak class and I didnt like guys like Nassib, Wilson, and Manuel. Was I really that wrong on that? I just didnt like those guys. I had both Glennon and Geno over him so I wasnt stupid over it and I never said he was 1st round talent. If he hadnt have had so many injuries in college who knows but he missed a ton of time. I would take Geno over Teddy and Glennon over Mariota. Glennon IMO sould have been a 1st round guy. Right now he looks like the OROY so tell me I was wrong. Tuel was a mid round guy I wanted over that JAG McElnuts. 6-7 rounder come on he would have been a bargain. He has done an OK job in Buff but there is a reason he wasnt a highly ranked prospect. Give him credit how many UDFA rookies do you see starting games? I'm just rooting for him because he came back from something most people never walk again from. He is playing pro football now. Kid just has no quit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    That would be shocking if all 4 went. In most drafts you get 3. Most people projected Geno, Manuel, and Nassib last year. I never for one minute thought Ponder would have been a 1st and he was. Wasnt crazy about that class and people kept calling it the year of the QB. Never mind the 4 best prospects in college didnt declare for it. This is a much different story however. Very few QBs like Mariota, Manziel, and Boyd have ever gone that early. None of them are some rare talent so please tell me how I'm off here. Manziel is 4th round talent I just cant see any scenario where he jumps that far up. Are you really trying to sell me the league has changed that much where a 5'10 200lb average armed QB with questionable mechanics and attitude issues is a 1st rounder? Lets bring back Darrel Hackney while we are at it. I dont see a chance of him as a 1st. Teddy yes, Mariota mid late sure. Boyd crazier picks have happened in Cleveland. It doesnt make them great value. And it certainly doesnt mean you jump on them 1-2-3 and let the best player in the draft fall to better teams.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 11-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is just anther draft where there is a lot of 2-4 round talent that could go early. There is nothing special at all in this group sorry but it is true. Yeah you'll see a few go earlier then they should you'll also see some drop. That is a nature of the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I liked Tuel as the 4th QB last year. Again it was a weak class and I didnt like guys like Nassib, Wilson, and Manuel. Was I really that wrong on that? I just didnt like those guys. I had both Glennon and Geno over him so I wasnt stupid over it and I never said he was 1st round talent. If he hadnt have had so many injuries in college who knows but he missed a ton of time. I would take Geno over Teddy and Glennon over Mariota. Glennon IMO sould have been a 1st round guy. Right now he looks like the OROY so tell me I was wrong. Tuel was a mid round guy I wanted over that JAG McElnuts. 6-7 rounder come on he would have been a bargain. He has done an OK job in Buff but there is a reason he wasnt a highly ranked prospect. Give him credit how many UDFA rookies do you see starting games? I'm just rooting for him because he came back from something most people never walk again from. He is playing pro football now. Kid just has no quit.
    WHO IS TUEL?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHO IS TUEL?
    Buffs starter

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buffs starter
    Until Manuel is healthy

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bridgewater is better than Geno, the tools are similar, but he seems to have better recognition and reads defenses faster. He's not Andrew Luck or RGIII but he is better than Geno Smith, just not by much as the main stream media will have you believe.

Tuel is a horrible QB, but looks somewhat decent because they are a very good running team with weapons on the outside to keep teams honest. Thad Lewis looked good too. Buffalo has the pieces on offense to be good if they just find the right QB, but they haven't so far. Glennon looks good, because he actually played in a pro system, so his transition isn't nearly as drastic as say Geno, but he's still very inconcistent, and he's been given pretty good surrounding cast. That is another team that is a good QB away from being true contenders.

Clowney is good, but you take Bridgewater over him, because a QB has a much higher impact on a game than a stud DE. And it's not just the QB, but your whole offense revolves around the QB, so you have to fill out your offense knowing which guys fit the QBs strengths and weaknesses. So I'd always start with the QB and then build around him, than build up the rest of the roster and hope to install a QB. That's what we should be doing next season, building around Geno Smith with players that can gain separation and go deep.