Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Health Insurance Premium Doubled

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down My Health Insurance Premium Doubled

I've been working for the same company for the past almost 6 years. I've been on the same health plan for all 6 six of those years. (Huge multi-national corporation with over 50,000 employees)

If I don't enroll and "select" a new policy, my coverage will be dropped. (I think most full-time employed people up until this point would continue receiving the coverage they had in the previous year had they taken no action, as was the case with me for the past 5 years).

So if I were to "choose" to continue on the same exact plan that I'm on now, my payment, per pay period, has doubled. Just to give some perspective on that. My bi-monthly contribution was $73.12 per pay period, it is now $ 153.69. I have not altered my coverage in any way. In those six years, I've seen my salary increase very modestly, less than 2% since I first started this job. (BTW - my current pre-tax salary is $78,000). My contribution in the form of my per pay period insurance premium in those 6 years actually dropped over time. Until now.

I am not posting this as to lend support to a particular side or political party on this, but seriously what the eff? All I've been hearing the past few months and years is that if I have health insurance and am satisfied with it, I will not lose it. But I didn't ever hear that my contribution would increase, let alone double?! Sorry to say but this is utter freakin bull$hit and I really do get the impression that my new premium amount is solely to subside this new system.

I have no doubt that this law will eventually be repealed, but I suspect the new costs as result will never decrease again.

Thanks a lot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your insurance has to cover everything now, abortion and everything the Obama could think of. But government mandates don't raise insurance rates, at least some think!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Email your congressman and senator at the very least, and express your disapproval.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ha Ha Ha View Post
    and I really do get the impression that my new premium amount is solely to subside this new system.
    True that.

The Democratic Party bascially took out a shotgun and blasted away indiscriminately at huge swaths of the middle class, irregardless of party affiliation.

The lives of the 1% won't be effected an iota and the parasite classes get a free ride (no insurance unless they actually need it - and then it's guaranteed and retroactive ... not sure what that is, but it's not insurance).

Adding 30,000,000 to the insurance rolls has HUGE costs - and the burden is falling on, well, people with jobs. This is just the beginning. Atrocious.
    Last edited by sackdance; 11-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    True that.

The Democratic Party bascially took out a shotgun and blasted away indiscriminately at huge swaths of the middle class, irregardless of party affiliation.

The lives of the 1% won't be effected an iota and the parasite classes get a free ride (no insurance unless they actually need it - and then it's guaranteed and retroactive ... not sure what that is, but it's not insurance).

Adding 30,000,000 to the insurance rolls has HUGE costs - and the burden is falling on, well, people with jobs. This is just the beginning. Atrocious.
    This, by the way, is the next lie that will be exposed for all the nation to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myself and all of my clients are self employed with VERY FEW options. We are seeing this in a BIG WAY. My premium went up 40 percent.
    THIS is the democratic party solution.

It is taxation on those who work to subsidize those who don't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All stuff we knew from Day 1. At least those of us not gullible enough to believe these lies, or afraid of what false names we were going to be called.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working for the same company for the past almost 6 years. I've been on the same health plan for all 6 six of those years. (Huge multi-national corporation with over 50,000 employees)

If I don't enroll and "select" a new policy, my coverage will be dropped. (I think most full-time employed people up until this point would continue receiving the coverage they had in the previous year had they taken no action, as was the case with me for the past 5 years).

So if I were to "choose" to continue on the same exact plan that I'm on now, my payment, per pay period, has doubled. Just to give some perspective on that. My bi-monthly contribution was $73.12 per pay period, it is now $ 153.69. I have not altered my coverage in any way. In those six years, I've seen my salary increase very modestly, less than 2% since I first started this job. (BTW - my current pre-tax salary is $78,000). My contribution in the form of my per pay period insurance premium in those 6 years actually dropped over time. Until now.

I am not posting this as to lend support to a particular side or political party on this, but seriously what the eff? All I've been hearing the past few months and years is that if I have health insurance and am satisfied with it, I will not lose it. But I didn't ever hear that my contribution would increase, let alone double?! Sorry to say but this is utter freakin bull$hit and I really do get the impression that my new premium amount is solely to subside this new system.

I have no doubt that this law will eventually be repealed, but I suspect the new costs as result will never decrease again.

Thanks a lot.
    Remind me, aren't you an Obama/Democrat voter?

My memory gets spotty from time to time, and you don't post very much (for a Mod), but I seem to recall you being somethign of a supporter of the ACA/Democrat Party platform.

Am I mistaken?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot.
    I am in IT as a W-2 consultant but I buy into benefits with my agency. I am pretty much independent, no vacations etc in exchange for most of the rate going to me. I have also been a regular employee of a couple big companies (fortune 500 types) in the past and EVERY year I have had to do the mandatory benefits elections. Even when I wanted to keep everything the same and if you miss you were either off the benefits or thrown into the minimum pool. That is a minor thing.

The major thing is that for the past year I have paid ~$1300/month for Medical/Dental and Optical. It is a pretty good plan, IMO, but (thankfully) I have never come close to hitting 20% of that in medical costs. I am definitely benefiting the system. Our open enrollment for 2014 starts in a couple weeks. I will let you know what the increase is, hopefully mine won't double as well. I do feel for you but kicking in an extra $75 for family benefits is nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obuttocks lied and your healthcare plan died.

I'm getting hit with the Cadillac plan tax.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    I am in IT as a W-2 consultant but I buy into benefits with my agency. I am pretty much independent, no vacations etc in exchange for most of the rate going to me. I have also been a regular employee of a couple big companies (fortune 500 types) in the past and EVERY year I have had to do the mandatory benefits elections. Even when I wanted to keep everything the same and if you miss you were either off the benefits or thrown into the minimum pool. That is a minor thing.

The major thing is that for the past year I have paid ~$1300/month for Medical/Dental and Optical. It is a pretty good plan, IMO, but (thankfully) I have never come close to hitting 20% of that in medical costs. I am definitely benefiting the system. Our open enrollment for 2014 starts in a couple weeks. I will let you know what the increase is, hopefully mine won't double as well. I do feel for you but kicking in an extra $75 for family benefits is nothing.
    Pay attention not only to your premiums (mine went up 20%), but your co-pays/deductibles. That's where we got slammed hardest. For a typical year, my out-of-pocket costs will now more than double in 2014 over 2013. That hurts, a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine went down 15%.

It's all a crapshoot.

Mine went up 35% in 2006. For no rhyme or reason. Just because, I guess.

Just go without coverage. Save yourself the $$$. It works.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Your insurance has to cover everything now, abortion and everything the Obama could think of.
    I doubt he is going to need an abortion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry. It is for the greater good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Insurance that covers things and can't drop you, fuccin horrific!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Mine went down 15%.

It's all a crapshoot.

Mine went up 35% in 2006. For no rhyme or reason. Just because, I guess.

Just go without coverage. Save yourself the $$$. It works.
    No, it's not a crapshoot. It's math (I get how that may seem like a crapshoot to you). By the way, living in NY, you may be one of the few that actually sees a decrease, because your plan was already artificially inflated by the state system. But as for the rest of the country:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...ow-to-elderly/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    But the coverage is mandated, so he will pay anyhow. One for all, the Obama way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    But the coverage is mandated, so he will pay anyhow. One for all, the Obama way.
    A woman chooses to do a legal medical procedure and it shouldn't be covered?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right it is math and up until now the insurance companies never let anyone know any of the true numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    No, it's not a crapshoot. It's math (I get how that may seem like a crapshoot to you). By the way, living in NY, you may be one of the few that actually sees a decrease, because your plan was already artificially inflated by the state system. But as for the rest of the country:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...ow-to-elderly/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    A woman chooses to do a legal medical procedure and it shouldn't be covered?
    Why should men pay for a procedure that they are never going to need? That is the point. You cannot be that blind in your liberalism to not see that.