Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: NFL inching closer to barring defensive contact all together

  1. #1

    NFL inching closer to barring defensive contact all together



    Brees gets hit higher up in the thigh/near the waist a split second after the ball leaves his hand. Josh Bush gets flagged for roughing the passer. Lol.


    When does the league finally just come out and say "Defenses, we don't want you to make contact with the Offenses at all. No hitting, no physical coverage, nothing. Don't touch them. Let them throw and catch as they please or else we'll flag and or fine you."


    It's ridiculous how little defenses are allowed to do. They basically just have to stand around and watch and just hope they don't get flagged for LOOKING at an Offensive player.


    Can't hit 'em low, can't hit 'em high, and now you can't hit 'em in the middle. How long until the league just goes ahead and puts in a rule that states Defensive players can't come within x amount of yards of an Offensive player?

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,387
    Worst call ever. Bush hit him in one of the few places he is actually allowed to hit him, and still got flagged.

    NFL will soon be adding an extra F to its name, and go all the way to becoming the non-contact National Flag Football League (NFFL).

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Worst call ever. Bush hit him in one of the few places he is actually allowed to hit him, and still got flagged.

    NFL will soon be adding an extra F to its name, and go all the way to becoming the non-contact National Flag Football League (NFFL).
    +1

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,813
    That play was an embarrassment for the league. Perfect form, clean tackle and within the "one step" rule. Thank God it did not come back to bite us. It was so bad that we got two makeup calls as a result. Hands to the face and holding (both on Wilk).

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That play was an embarrassment for the league. Perfect form, clean tackle and within the "one step" rule. Thank God it did not come back to bite us. It was so bad that we got two makeup calls as a result. Hands to the face and holding (both on Wilk).
    It was so bad that Lynch and Periera were going "What the Hell!"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That play was an embarrassment for the league. Perfect form, clean tackle and within the "one step" rule. Thank God it did not come back to bite us. It was so bad that we got two makeup calls as a result. Hands to the face and holding (both on Wilk).
    They had to hold Wilk. He was abusing the o-linemen, specifically in the 2nd half.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    They had to hold Wilk. He was abusing the o-linemen, specifically in the 2nd half.
    Very true, I just rewatched that last series. On the first shot with the camera Close it did not look like much but in the other shot from up top you could clearly see that De La Puente turned Wilkerson around so he couldn't get to Brees. It was the right call although it is always really Close on those lineman penalties...

    I think what caused the refs to throw the flag was that Brees kinda fell awkwardly. At first it seemed he got hit in the knees and we all have to remember that the game is incredibly fast out there on the field. You can just make this call challengable aswell and then it would have been overturned.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Very true, I just rewatched that last series. On the first shot with the camera Close it did not look like much but in the other shot from up top you could clearly see that De La Puente turned Wilkerson around so he couldn't get to Brees. It was the right call although it is always really Close on those lineman penalties...

    I think what caused the refs to throw the flag was that Brees kinda fell awkwardly. At first it seemed he got hit in the knees and we all have to remember that the game is incredibly fast out there on the field. You can just make this call challengable aswell and then it would have been overturned.
    Brees is tougher than he gets credit for, but I think the refs thought the Jets were just kicking the crap out of him, which they were.

    The refs gave an obligatory hands to the face penalty right after that to make up for it. Doesn't matter since it was 3rd down.

  9. #9
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    75
    Brees, Brady and Rogers all have that Michael Jordan force field around them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    If you look at the replay(gif) closely, I think the ref missed the initial hit where he was in his mid-section and only saw when Brees was just about down on his back with Bush sliding down his legs. THAT'S what he saw and made the WRONG assumption on what happened.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,068
    The end is near

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,664
    The defense can still insult players and breathe on them.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,417
    Brees was being a little ***** about it too, he should be ashamed about saying F U to Bush after the hit. Clean, textbook hit

  14. #14


    Can't exactly make out the "****", but you can see a "you" and he's obviously rustled.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,664
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post


    Can't exactly make out the "****", but you can see a "you" and he's obviously rustled.
    Those black half sleeves look so gay to me,

  16. #16
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,116
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post


    Can't exactly make out the "****", but you can see a "you" and he's obviously rustled.
    That's a ***** move; all Flag Drama, and it worked. Thanks for the gif.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Very true, I just rewatched that last series. On the first shot with the camera Close it did not look like much but in the other shot from up top you could clearly see that De La Puente turned Wilkerson around so he couldn't get to Brees. It was the right call although it is always really Close on those lineman penalties...

    I think what caused the refs to throw the flag was that Brees kinda fell awkwardly. At first it seemed he got hit in the knees and we all have to remember that the game is incredibly fast out there on the field. You can just make this call challengable aswell and then it would have been overturned.
    No excuse. If the red isn't sure about a roughing call, he needs to keep the f*cking flag in his pocket.

  18. #18
    You should be able to challenge that garbage!

    And the way these crooked fcks call the games, any 3rd down penalty that results in a first after a stop should be reviewed and have a name attached to it.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    If you look at the replay(gif) closely, I think the ref missed the initial hit where he was in his mid-section and only saw when Brees was just about down on his back with Bush sliding down his legs. THAT'S what he saw and made the WRONG assumption on what happened.
    It was a bad call, they happen. To make a blown call into a league mandate is just as wrong. Using this logic the league is moving towards a head hunting league for allowing Hill to get concussed without a flag being thrown. Cant have it both ways

    Bet no one from the NFL was happy with that call

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,519
    it's not a new NFL rule. it was a bad call. it happens.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us