Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Josh McCown our 2014 QB?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also if Marcus Mariotta, Ted Bridgewater, or Johnny Manziel fall to us I would consider taking then.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFaan View Post
    Also if Marcus Mariotta, Ted Bridgewater, or Johnny Manziel fall to us I would consider taking then.
    demotivation.us_LORD-PLEASE-GIVE-ME-PATIENCE...-Because-if-you-give-me-strength-Ill-need-bail-mo.jpg

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFaan View Post
    Clearly you're either a troll, or know zero about football.

Choose one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Perhaps there needs to be a screening process implemented by Sooth for registration to this board...
    Or how about making a rule where you can't start a thread if you have less than 1,000 posts, otherwise it's a perma-ban?

That's more than fair, IMO.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Or how about making a rule where you can't start a thread if you have less than 1,000 posts, otherwise it's a perma-ban?

That's more than fair, IMO.
    I REALLY hope you're not being serious lol. a) people can rack up meaningless post counts by just saying "yeah" 1000 times on different threads; b) if anyone thinks people actually become more credible with the more posts they make, then I would direct you to re-read some of the SAR chronicles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    I REALLY hope you're not being serious lol. a) people can rack up meaningless post counts by just saying "yeah" 1000 times on different threads; b) if anyone thinks people actually become more credible with the more posts they make, then I would direct you to re-read some of the SAR chronicles.
    I never said it was a fool-proof plan. Just a suggestion.....

Besides, if a new member started posting just one-word answers all over the place just to up their post-count, I'm sure the Mods would be well aware of that....

Good point on SAR, though.
    Last edited by Vin; 11-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    There are no guarantees and no one is saying that they know Geno will continue to improve over the next few years. But there is on guarantee. He gets a chance, no one is being brought in in year two to compete with him. He has to be given the opportunity to grow and to see what he will become. So far so good
    I agree with you "so far so good" but I see zero problems with making sure we have a viable candidate in case those early signs turn out to be false positives. Obviously, do not sell out the whole draft next year in order to pick up a guy but if there is a viable candidate in round 3 or round 4 then I say bring him in.

Rookie QBs get a bit of a free pass on interceptions stemming from bad decision making or inaccurate throws based bad mechanics if they have not been well coached in college. The idea is that the young QB can be coached and once he has some seasoning that he will not make as many poor decisions. Geno is getting some of those free passes right now just as Mark Sanchez did. Sanchez never progressed and a poor GM committed the whole Jets franchise to him anyway. The first problem can happen to anyone, even Geno but there is simply no excuse for the GM to lock us into a box this time around.

Geno is our guy but I am still thinking QB in the early rounds next year too. If I was convinced on Simms (I am not) then it might be a different story. I think Garrard is here more as a coach than for anything we can expect on the field any more. We are thin at QB and we have a pretty big unknown at the top of the depth chart.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Let's just start by saying that obviously the OP's suggestion is absurd. However there is a grain of truth in here.

What we want to avoid another Mark Sanchez fiasco. His problems (and the Jets problems) were made far worse in my opinion by the notion that #6 was "anointed" and that nobody needed to be brought in to push him. Geno has had a nice start all things considered but he is NOT lock to be the Jets QB of the future. So yes, the Jets do need to bring in someone credible and viable to push Geno even and especially if he wins the starting job this year. Draft someone or bring in an upgrade to Garrard but someone else does need to be here next year.

I am hopeful that Geno is everything that Mark was not but I do want us to cover our nuts just in case he is not.
    The Jets are being very careful not to anoint him the QB for this year. He's the QB for the Bills game, but they refuse to commit to the Ravens. I don't think this is something we have to worry about with Idzik.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I never said it was a fool-proof plan. Just a suggestion.....

Besides, if a new member started posting just one-word answers all over the place just to up their post-count, I'm sure the Mods would be well aware of that....

Good point on SAR, though.
    I actually think there should be limits on how many posts you're allowed. I mean a liberal amount for water boys such as 30 per day/300 per month. They should start on probation, and flagged for key words so that mods know to check them out. Then a combination of time/posts to open a new thread. Say 500 posts/6 months of service, with a green rating. So practice squad all the way around. Limits could be raised over time automatically with your status. Should at least be something limiting these guys, which I usually assume are banned posters, closet Pats fans, or even just a second user name for posts that are controversial.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I agree with you "so far so good" but I see zero problems with making sure we have a viable candidate in case those early signs turn out to be false positives. Obviously, do not sell out the whole draft next year in order to pick up a guy but if there is a viable candidate in round 3 or round 4 then I say bring him in.

Rookie QBs get a bit of a free pass on interceptions stemming from bad decision making or inaccurate throws based bad mechanics if they have not been well coached in college. The idea is that the young QB can be coached and once he has some seasoning that he will not make as many poor decisions. Geno is getting some of those free passes right now just as Mark Sanchez did. Sanchez never progressed and a poor GM committed the whole Jets franchise to him anyway. The first problem can happen to anyone, even Geno but there is simply no excuse for the GM to lock us into a box this time around.

Geno is our guy but I am still thinking QB in the early rounds next year too. If I was convinced on Simms (I am not) then it might be a different story. I think Garrard is here more as a coach than for anything we can expect on the field any more. We are thin at QB and we have a pretty big unknown at the top of the depth chart.
    I think they're being carefully optimistic in the FO and CS too. They won't hand him the job even while its clearly his. There's a fine line IMO. You don't want to give him everything but you don't want him looking over his shoulder, worried that his backup will take his spot. Also can't have your QB afraid to push the ball downfield, afraid of sacks to the point he can't function. What makes me optimistic over Geno is he seems to be able to learn from his mistakes. While the nitwit announcers who don't follow the team and only read stat sheets go on and on about his need to protect the ball he actually has. Most of his INTS came early this season, his total is still high but most of them came in the first 5 or so games. ALso I think the 2nd round pick helps the Jets, they're not as committed as they were with a 5 used on a QB, with a player making top 5 QB money without a salary slot.

I think he gets this season and next to prove himself, to show that he has what it takes then hes fair game to wide open competition.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Geno deserves one more year. If we build the team around him and fill the offense with playmakers at the WR and TE position that would help Geno tremendously. He has shown that he is accurate and can throw the ball on a rope 20 yards down field. All he needs at this point is for someone to be open. Hopefully with Santonio's return, we should see people open some more down field.

If we go into the next draft with the intention of surround Geno with weapons but Geno doesn't work out, we would still be better off than how we are now becuase the pieces would already be in place for our new qb. WR is a must whether in free agency or draft. I kind of hope we go after Hakeem Nicks and resign Santonio. Nicks, Holmes, Kerley is not a bad three wr set.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I think they're being carefully optimistic in the FO and CS too. They won't hand him the job even while its clearly his. There's a fine line IMO. You don't want to give him everything but you don't want him looking over his shoulder, worried that his backup will take his spot. Also can't have your QB afraid to push the ball downfield, afraid of sacks to the point he can't function. What makes me optimistic over Geno is he seems to be able to learn from his mistakes. While the nitwit announcers who don't follow the team and only read stat sheets go on and on about his need to protect the ball he actually has. Most of his INTS came early this season, his total is still high but most of them came in the first 5 or so games. ALso I think the 2nd round pick helps the Jets, they're not as committed as they were with a 5 used on a QB, with a player making top 5 QB money without a salary slot.

I think he gets this season and next to prove himself, to show that he has what it takes then hes fair game to wide open competition.
    As usual recently we seem to be pretty much on the same page (go figure). I do see where the organization is being careful not to repeat the mistakes whose consequences they inherited at the same time as being cautiously optimistic about the talent we may have landed here with Geno.

As it relates to salary cap considerations I think this is an extremely interesting topic which probably deserves a thread of its own but in short I think much or our upside limitation in the last few years has been because many of the mega-salaries who have been on the team were either completely ineffective or at best only marginally effective on the field. If your "big money guys" are not contributing "big money value" on the field it is like starting a 100 meter race ten or twenty meters behind everyone else.

Examples from last year

Sanchez (10M+ performance), Revis (16M injury), Harris (10M+ poor play), Bart Scott (?? poor play), Santonio Holmes (10M injury), D'Brick (??? so so play)

With that amount of non-performers or marginal performers on the roster we were crippled as an organization last year. Now it is possible for an organization through luck or skill (or a little bit of both) to make up some of these negatives if they have relatively cheap rookies or even UDFAs who are over-performing their cap value as we have this year. I think everyone on the D-Line for example is probably dramatically over-performing measured against their cap number. It is a nice situation to find yourself in but those (cheap) guys will eventually need to get paid. Idzik will be earning his money here in the years to come.