Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: For all of us old timers, some of these names are hilarious

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    For all of us old timers, some of these names are hilarious

    Spoiler alert LOL, there are pictures of Bob Davis and David Norrie, among others, in a Jet uniform in there LMAO

    Funny memories...

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...rs-1.6226817#1

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Namath: a losing record and 50% completion 170 TDs to 215 INTs. I know the game was different, but those are horrible numbers. Never realized his numbers were that bad.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Joe Namath: a losing record and 50% completion 170 TDs to 215 INTs. I know the game was different, but those are horrible numbers. Never realized his numbers were that bad.
    Yeah can just see some of the posters here calling him Suckath based on those stats

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Joe Namath: a losing record and 50% completion 170 TDs to 215 INTs. I know the game was different, but those are horrible numbers. Never realized his numbers were that bad.
    Did you know Lynn Swann never had a 900yd season or caught more then 61 passes in a season?? Or Gayle Sayers only had 2 thousand yd + seasons?? Even more modern day QB's like Phil Simms never has a 60% completion season till his 13th year and in the Super Bowl winning year 86 he had 21 tds and 22 picks.. I could go on but young fans just look at stats they never saw the players play..

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Joe Namath: a losing record and 50% completion 170 TDs to 215 INTs. I know the game was different, but those are horrible numbers. Never realized his numbers were that bad.
    plus ONE big Super Bowl victory!

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Did you know Lynn Swann never had a 900yd season or caught more then 61 passes in a season?? Or Gayle Sayers only had 2 thousand yd + seasons?? Even more modern day QB's like Phil Simms never has a 60% completion season till his 13th year and in the Super Bowl winning year 86 he had 21 tds and 22 picks.. I could go on but young fans just look at stats they never saw the players play..
    Savage, I pointed out that I know the game was different. He was great, was just saying I was surprised he had a losing record and far more INTS to TDS

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Savage, I pointed out that I know the game was different. He was great, was just saying I was surprised he had a losing record and far more INTS to TDS
    He's not the only QB in the HOF that had more picks then TD's..

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Savage, I pointed out that I know the game was different. He was great, was just saying I was surprised he had a losing record and far more INTS to TDS
    Dude....he played for the JETS. Not many winning seasons all around.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He's not the only QB in the HOF that had more picks then TD's..
    WOW...Pat Ryan played a long time. In between KO and Todd, I believe he started for us for 2 years?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Dude....he played for the JETS. Not many winning seasons all around.
    70's we didn't have any 7-7 was considered a fine year..

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jumped out at me how low the completion percentages were until the last twenty years. But the first Jet QB may have had the coolest name.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He's not the only QB in the HOF that had more picks then TD's..
    I did NOT say he was

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    WOW...Pat Ryan played a long time. In between KO and Todd, I believe he started for us for 2 years?
    He started 11 games in 84 that's the most he ever had in 1 year..

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    I did NOT say he was
    You love to get the last word?? I simply made a factual statement I said nothing about you saying anything..

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    70's we didn't have any 7-7 was considered a fine year..
    I remember Mike Adamlee as our running back one year. Gosh we were awful.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Did you know Lynn Swann never had a 900yd season or caught more then 61 passes in a season?? Or Gayle Sayers only had 2 thousand yd + seasons?? Even more modern day QB's like Phil Simms never has a 60% completion season till his 13th year and in the Super Bowl winning year 86 he had 21 tds and 22 picks.. I could go on but young fans just look at stats they never saw the players play..
    No offense, but that's a little silly. They played less games then, and his numbers were still good for his time. Also, Swann is in the HOF because of what he did in the playoffs/Super Bowl (Not unlike Namath).

    Neither guy would be in the HOF if they didn't win a SB.

    Sayers not having a 1,000 yards is not w/o context. He was in top 5 of rushing all 5 years he started (top 3 in 4 of 5 years), he also is the all-time kick return leader (only player returned over 30 yards per kick)

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,878
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. Lots of history there.

    Thank you for sharing this.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You love to get the last word?? I simply made a factual statement I said nothing about you saying anything..
    You can have the last word.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were never taken seriously from day one with that name.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dick Wood.....lol
    A lot of overkill in that name

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us