Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk 2014 NFL Draft-Jets Targets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFaan View Post
    Next year is a pretty important draft for John Idzik.

Position of Needs:

#1-WR
    #2-TE
    #3-DE/OLB
    #4-DB
    #5-QB
    #6-OL Depth

Potential First Rounders

#1-Eric Ebron-TE North Carolina
    #2-Sammy Watkins-WR Clemson
    #3-Marquise Lee-WR USC
    #4-Austin Serafin-Jenkins-TE Washington
    #5-Kyle Van Noy-DE/OLB BYU
    #6-Vic Beasly-DE/OLB Clemson

Top QB's
    #1-Marcus Mariotta-Oregon
    #2-Ted Bridgewater-Louisville
    #3-Brett Hundley-UCLA
    #4-Johnny Manziel-TA&M
    #5-Derek Carr-Fresno St
    #6-AJ McCarron-Alabama

Very interesting draft class. There could be six QB's taken so there is a decent chance a top skill position or pass rushing prospect could fall to us.
    I like him but he's no choir boy ie., In May 2012, Watkins was arrested by Clemson campus police for possession of marijuana. He was also found to have one pill each of Vyvanse and Adderall and charged with possession of a controlled substance. As a result, Watkins was suspended for the first two games of the 2012-2013 season. (ref wikipedia)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there's anyway the jets can get Sammy Watkins, I'd be ecstatic....I think he's going to be a stud

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    If there's anyway the jets can get Sammy Watkins, I'd be ecstatic....I think he's going to be a stud
    Idsik weights different aspects of a player eg., maturity, leadership, troubled past, drugs, performance.

I don't think we'll pick him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I like him but he's no choir boy ie., In May 2012, Watkins was arrested by Clemson campus police for possession of marijuana. He was also found to have one pill each of Vyvanse and Adderall and charged with possession of a controlled substance. As a result, Watkins was suspended for the first two games of the 2012-2013 season. (ref wikipedia)
    Those pills are basically the same thing. Class 3, and they're used by college kids all the time to cram for finals. Not a big deal to have 2 pills, and pot? Really? This kid is obviously a thug.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    positions of need;
    WR
    speed rusher/weak side LB/coverage LB hopefully in one package
    TE Receiving, and blocking hopefully in one package
    WR
    Safety
    WR
    Guard/Tackle maybe depending on how players pan out

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    It's going to be tough to find a great prospect with the 32nd pick in the first round.
    Wilkerson was, what the 28th pick, and might have been available at #32 due to his lack of pedigree (I'm not sure anyone 29-31 was really drooling over him that year).

I'm just basically saying we are going to get a superstar player after winning the Super Bowl this year, of course.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    I am not implying that you are on drugs, BUT I want to be the first person here at JI to GUARANTEE you that we are NOT using our first pick in next years draft on a QB.
    I also want to add that your comment about a "pass-rushing prospect...(a D-lineman)" is going to be a tough one for you as well in Round 1. Have you looked at our CURRENT ROSTER LATELY?...Some might say we are already pretty well-stocked on the D-Line right now. That seems to be the consensus across the ENTIRE NFL MEDIA nationwide right now.Hard to justify using a #1 pick in that area...right?
    Its odd that you pointed out those 2 positions...they are probably the LAST 2 positions on our roster where a draftnik would suggest we use our #1 pick...

Are you really a "jetfaan" ? Tell the truth...
    The one position that is separating this defense from being really good to totally dominant is a pass rushing olb. If the best player on board when we pick is a pas rushing olb terror I am all for making that pick.

As far as positions go on offense we need:

Two Wr's
    Two TE's
    One RB
    One QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    It's going to be tough to find a great prospect with the 32nd pick in the first round.
    That would be the NY Giant's board... I mean, us of course.
    Last edited by RMJK; 11-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The OP is the same guy, troll, who started a thread asking if we could get McCown to be our QB next year. And then said he would draft Marcus Mariotta, Ted Bridgewater, or Johnny Manziel if we could
    So you're saying he's dumb?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Sammy Watkins looks very good, wouldn't mind him. Seems like a Julio Jones type.
    Not at all, he is a completely different type of Receiver. He is a speedster, works underneath most of the time and he won't outfight someone upstairs for passes. He is not someone who is "open while covered". I agree though that he is a dynamic playmaker, his acceleration to full Speed and short area quickness is elite.

It is so hard to predict the draft even a day before let alone now. You'll never know what's gonna happen. But in General I think playmakers is the biggest Need for the Jets on both sides of the ball. They Need big Receivers, they Need fast Players on defense and guys who can make Plays on the backend or the Perimeter. Both lines seem intact now, also going Forward.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not implying that you are on drugs, BUT I want to be the first person here at JI to GUARANTEE you that we are NOT using our first pick in next years draft on a QB.
    I also want to add that your comment about a "pass-rushing prospect...(a D-lineman)" is going to be a tough one for you as well in Round 1. Have you looked at our CURRENT ROSTER LATELY?...Some might say we are already pretty well-stocked on the D-Line right now. That seems to be the consensus across the ENTIRE NFL MEDIA nationwide right now.Hard to justify using a #1 pick in that area...right?
    Its odd that you pointed out those 2 positions...they are probably the LAST 2 positions on our roster where a draftnik would suggest we use our #1 pick...

did the OP edit his post? because from what I'm looking at, nowhere do I see him suggesting that we take a QB in round 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Not at all, he is a completely different type of Receiver. He is a speedster, works underneath most of the time and he won't outfight someone upstairs for passes. He is not someone who is "open while covered". I agree though that he is a dynamic playmaker, his acceleration to full Speed and short area quickness is elite.

It is so hard to predict the draft even a day before let alone now. You'll never know what's gonna happen. But in General I think playmakers is the biggest Need for the Jets on both sides of the ball. They Need big Receivers, they Need fast Players on defense and guys who can make Plays on the backend or the Perimeter. Both lines seem intact now, also going Forward.
    The way you described him, perfectly describes Santonio Holmes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Idsik weights different aspects of a player eg., maturity, leadership, troubled past, drugs, performance.

I don't think we'll pick him.
    You kinda get that Impression with Idzik and to me this is not a bad Thing at all. The Mike Goodson debacle was another warning, you gotta be careful what Kind of guys you bring in (not saying Goodson is a bad guy but when These Players have issues it can hurt the entire Team).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha.

Didn't even read the post, I see. He has QB at 5 and mentions taking a skill player in the first, not a QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me Samuel L Watkins or give me death!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    The way you described him, perfectly describes Santonio Holmes.
    Marqise Lee reminds me more of Holmes as he has great Body control and is a very fluid and natural athlete and Receiver. Watkins is quicker and faster than Holmes but not as polished a Receiver by any means. They got similar Body types though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Marqise Lee reminds me more of Holmes as he has great Body control and is a very fluid and natural athlete and Receiver. Watkins is quicker and faster than Holmes but not as polished a Receiver by any means. They got similar Body types though.
    Well then here's a dilemma :

Do we go with the one who is quicker and faster but less-ready to start?

Or do we go with the one who is ready to contribute?

The Jets will NEED someone to contribute right away so I can see them getting Lee instead of Watkins.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets will NEED someone to contribute right away so I can see them getting Lee instead of Watkins.
    Watkins will be ready to step in right away in my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) BPA
    2) BPA
    3) BPA
    4) BPA
    5) BPA
    6) BPA
    7) BPA

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

As Ruby said, Watkins will also be able to step in right away and provide us with something we do not have right now on offense and that is elite Speed. I would say he is raw when it Comes to running routes but he is very sure handed and snags the ball out of the air. It will be hard for us to find that big 6-4 Receiver we are all looking for who can be a matchup nightmare on the outside. But that doesn't matter, other Teams have had plenty success without an AJ Green/Megatron Monster. We just have to get guys that can make Plays, that put pressure on a defense and will also do so against any competition. Right now we got a lot of Players who will struggle to have any Impact against better defenses or better said a consistent Impact. We Need guys who the defense has to account for at any time, who can hurt them at any time and who open up things for others. Watkins would do that, Lee too I think, Eric Ebron, some of the running backs...