Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did the jets start the season ranked #32 in the power rankings?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it allows the media to keep the Jets in the press and keep writing the stories throughout the year. The Jets are a big press draw win or lose. Label them a middle of the roa d team before the season, no one gets butthurt, no one says "HEY look at this crappy article!!!", nobody really notices at all. And, if the Jets do outperform that last place ranking, which they knew they would, then they can start writing stories about the "surprise" Jets. It's a simple way to generate a story at that time and allow for more stories down the line. If they ranked the Jets somewhere around 15-20, nobody would notice, and there would be nothing to write about during the season if the Jets pan out around 15-20.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

Aren't you the same guy who a day before the Saints game called the Jets a "circus" and said we wouldn't win another game all season?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The biggest single reason would be that on paper we "lost" significant members of our DL rotation (Pouha and Devito). We also "lost" Revis, Landry and Bart Scott even tohugh Revis was not a loss compared to 2012 because he was injured.

People thought our defense would be taking a big step back and they "knew" our offense sucked. Very wrong on the first count and wrong on the second count.
    this is the answer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    people looked at the offense/qb situation, and completely ignored the fact that we have one of the better defenses in football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
    Why do you think ESPN had them ranked below the likes of Jacksonville, Cleveland, buffalo. Etc.?
    Jacksonville... I'm not sure, but the Jets were coming off a season where they were 6-10, were starting a rookie QB, who didn't play well in preseason, and 0 offensive weapons. THeir defense, while okay last year, also lost their best player. Simply put, the Jets on paper have less offensive talent at skill positions than almost any team in the NFL. THere is no one who I would qualify as a "playmaker" (From the teams you named: MJD, Josh Gordon, Stevie Johnson/CJ Spiller). The defense wasn't great last year and they didn't sign any significant free agents.

Maybe I didn't think they were 32nd (I thought Jacksonville was pretty terrible) but it was not unreasonable to rank them near the bottom of the league.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lack of respect. No one respects us or likes us. people not from New York love to hate New York teams, even to a point of being unprofessional.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't think that public perception of the jets is a big deal?
    no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by knightfall72 View Post
    We are not the "darlings" of the NFL. We are a team that a lot of people dislike for whatever reason. Add rookie QB and poor offense then the "experts" say we are the worst. But as Jets fans we all knew there was NO WAY we were that bad
    uh... Neither is Jacksonville, Oakland (at this point), or Buffalo. The bottom 4 teams all had young QBs who had no NFL experience (Pryor 30 passes in 2 years, Manuel, Smith) or a young QB who simply didn't look NFL worthy (Gabbert, though his numbers were not awful last year). Again, I found it hard to believe the Jets were gonig to be worse than 6-10 personally, simply because it was hard to imagine the QB play being worse than last season, and the defense was likely to be good. But, any one of these teams between 29-32 wasn't a stretch to make.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    no.
    Hahaha it's funny how desperately SAR is trying to cling to the "circus" label

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Because it allows the media to keep the Jets in the press and keep writing the stories throughout the year. The Jets are a big press draw win or lose. Label them a middle of the roa d team before the season, no one gets butthurt, no one says "HEY look at this crappy article!!!", nobody really notices at all. And, if the Jets do outperform that last place ranking, which they knew they would, then they can start writing stories about the "surprise" Jets. It's a simple way to generate a story at that time and allow for more stories down the line. If they ranked the Jets somewhere around 15-20, nobody would notice, and there would be nothing to write about during the season if the Jets pan out around 15-20.
    Very good observations, and i think there correct.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    two words: blaine gabbert.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

Aren't you the same guy who a day before the Saints game called the Jets a "circus" and said we wouldn't win another game all season?
    Yes. The point of this is to spin the credit to the players, and away from Rex. He's trying to say that we have all world talent, and we would be SB contenders if we had any other coach. Really burns him that we are winning despite having a roster with enough gaping holes in it that we were projected to finish last in the NFL. We should extend Rex, Marty, and Wilkerson right away before their price tags go through the roof.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huge amount of question marks plus no respect = 32nd ranking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think ESPN had them ranked below the likes of Jacksonville, Cleveland, buffalo. Etc.?
    Piling on Rex, the former bragger who seemed on the verge of losing his job. The media couldn't wait to kick him when he was down. The #32 ranking was ridiculous and nobody who looked at our roster could have honestly thought we were literally the worst team in football. When you have a D with a lot of talent, you are never going to be the worst team in football.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Piling on Rex, the former bragger who seemed on the verge of losing his job. The media couldn't wait to kick him when he was down. The #32 ranking was ridiculous and nobody who looked at our roster could have honestly thought we were literally the worst team in football. When you have a D with a lot of talent, you are never going to be the worst team in football.
    I remember Eric Davis on NFL network saying REX was too good of a coach to only have 2-4 wins. He said 8-8 based on Rex's ability to get the most out if his players.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it's based in Bristol, CT, New England.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    no.
    Batman , why don't you care about the public perception of the jets? Don't you care about what other people thing of the jets?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Batman , why don't you care about the public perception of the jets? Don't you care about what other people thing of the jets?
    Grown men shouldn't care how others perceive their favorite football team.

Get a grip or troll better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all knew we weren't that bad. (well hopefully we did) Rex's defense with the worst possible QB still got us 6 wins last year so it was easy to see that no matter what, we'd have 6 wins. The question was how many more on top, and Geno has added a few more without a doubt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I care if the Jets win. I care is the Jets play well. I'm glad the Jets don't have players arrested for murder, killing dogs, or whatever the hell is going on in Miami, but no. If the Jets play well and win games, that's all I care about. The fact that they were 32nd in a power poll is totally irrelevant to what they do in the season

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk