Thread: NY Times: Idzik Pleased With Performance of Ryan and Jets

NY Times: Idzik Pleased With Performance of Ryan and Jets

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/sp...wyorkjets&_r=0

Idzik Pleased With Performance of Ryan and Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — John Idzik committed a bit of a Freudian slip Monday while mentioning how many challenges Geno Smith has confronted during the last nine months — er, nine games.

“Feels like nine months,” Idzik said, laughing.

The inconsistency wears on the players, the coaches and their fans, so it must wear on Idzik, the general manager, as well. But as the Jets entered their bye week, at 5-4 and holding on to the final wild-card spot in the A.F.C. after their 26-20 victory Sunday against New Orleans, Idzik said he was pleased with practically every facet of the team — from the resilience of Smith to the cohesiveness of the overhauled coaching staff to the leadership of Coach Rex Ryan.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a surprise to any of us in the building,” Idzik said during a 22-minute interview session, his first time speaking with reporters in more than seven weeks. “We feel real good about our group and the way we’ve come together in a short period of time.”

Idzik reserved his most effusive praise for Ryan — who is under contract through 2014 but is unlikely to enter next season without being fired or given an extension — although he would not commit to retaining him next season. Idzik said Ryan had done “very well” at squeezing victories out of a team that has dealt with several injuries; significant off-season turnover, including the departure of Darrelle Revis; and a staff with three new coordinators and 10 different coaches over all.

“Rex has pulled it all together,” Idzik said. “He’s our leader.”

Speaking about Ryan’s role in integrating in-season pickups like Josh Cribbs, David Nelson and Zach Sudfeld, Idzik said: “They’re productive in a short period of time. That’s a tribute to Rex.”

Idzik, who inherited Ryan as a condition of accepting the position in January, has the authority to recommend a change to the owner Woody Johnson and hire his own coach. Ever since, Ryan’s job security has lingered as an issue — and it will, until his status is defined. Asked whether he felt comfortable enough working with Ryan to continue their partnership beyond this season, Idzik said that “we’re living in the moment” but that “it’s been a joy to work with Rex.”

Idzik said that “there is always that hum in the background” for long-term issues, like Ryan’s standing and Smith’s viability as a franchise quarterback, but said that it was more important to handle matters day by day, game by game.

“You let things play out, and that tells you a lot,” Idzik said. “And so far, through nine games, I think our roster, our team, our staff, our building has responded pretty well.”

For the last nine months, Ryan has deflected every question about his job status, and he did again Monday. He said that it was inappropriate for him to act selfishly and think about his future when he was surrounded by players and coaches focused on the present.

“Our job’s incomplete,” Ryan said. “We have a long way to go.”

He added later: “It’s just full speed ahead. I’m not looking down the road. I’m just looking at what’s right in front of me.”

That is also how Idzik addressed questions about Smith, the quarterback he selected in the second round in April. In his rookie season, Smith has shown flashes of promise but also a penchant for turnovers. Idzik acknowledged Smith’s inconsistency but said that he was pleased with how he has handled the scrutiny that comes with playing quarterback in New York.

Asked when he expected to learn whether Smith was the team’s best option moving forward, Idzik offered no timetable. He said he did not feel obliged to make a decision on Smith after the season just because of the quality of quarterbacks who are expected to be eligible for next year’s draft.

“When was that moment in time where everyone woke up and said, Wow, he’s the guy long-term? You just knew. You just knew,” Idzik said, referring to Saints quarterback Drew Brees. “That’s an accumulation of experiences and events over a period of time. I think it’s a feeling you get in the building as to where we are as a team.”

From watching Smith over the last six months, David Lee, the Jets’ quarterbacks coach, has a strong feeling about him. Lee has often spoken about Smith’s performance in bracing candor, offering frank assessments of his progress at various junctures of his development, and he said Monday that he was encouraged because Smith rarely made the same mistake twice.

“I’ve had long enough to feel good about him and his future here with us,” Lee said.

It will not be Lee who determines Smith’s future. That responsibility falls to Idzik, who said he was pleased with the Jets’ record but hardly satisfied.

“If you have a feeling of contentment or complacency, you’re at risk,” Idzik said. “We’re not going to have that feeling in this building.”

Just realized its an old article from Tues, sorry if already posted

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Thanks for posting.