Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were the Bengals stupid to go for it on 4th down in OT?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Were the Bengals stupid to go for it on 4th down in OT?

I thought they should have went for the long field goal but instead they had a horrible screen pass that lost about 6 yards. It was fugly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    I thought they should have went for the long field goal but instead they had a horrible screen pass that lost about 6 yards. It was fugly.
    Yes. Don't put yourself in a position to lose on a FG on the first drive.

(so go for the long 3)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I hated the play they called.

There was no way they should have even made it to OT ... So they were playing with borrowed money anyway ... If it were my team I'd prob have wanted them to go for it if FG was longer than my kickers comfort range.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Bengals didn't have confidence in Nugent to win the game, then they should have punted and played the field position game. The Bengals rb made a horrible play trying to reverse field and lost what looked like an extra 10 yards in doing so. The Bengals deserved to lose after calling that horrible play on 4th down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A missed field goal would have given the Ravens even better field position

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post

There was no way they should have even made it to OT ... So they were playing with borrowed money anyway ... If it were my team I'd prob have wanted them to go for it if FG was longer than my kickers comfort range.
    Right, it wasn't going for it that was bad, it was the play they called. As that flair pass was floating across the backfield to Bernard the Ravens defense was swarming. I also might have gone for the two point conversion and the win when they tied it up at the end, rather than taking a chance in OT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Right, it wasn't going for it that was bad, it was the play they called. As that flair pass was floating across the backfield to Bernard the Ravens defense was swarming. I also might have gone for the two point conversion and the win when they tied it up at the end, rather than taking a chance in OT.
    It was complete Schotty Style... "They wont POSSIBLY think I'm so dumb as to call a play like THIS!!!"

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    But you at least tried to win the game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    But you at least tried to win the game.
    Its like chess - sometimes you have to think 3 moves ahead. Both defenses were playing very well. You punt and pin them inside the 10. Force them to punt, the field is flipped and you only need 25 yards or so to kick the GW FG.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fg doesn't win the game right there, being that a 50+ yarder in tough conditions is a 50/50 shot at best you even if you make it you still have to play defense and stop Baltimore the game wouldn't have been over if he made it. Out of the 3 options (go for it, punt, kick the fg) kicking the fg is the wrong move. Not enough reward to the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    Fg doesn't win the game right there, being that a 50+ yarder in tough conditions is a 50/50 shot at best you even if you make it you still have to play defense and stop Baltimore the game wouldn't have been over if he made it. Out of the 3 options (go for it, punt, kick the fg) kicking the fg is the wrong move. Not enough reward to the risk.

How is going for it on 4th and long any better? You still turn the ball over if you miss it, and dude lost almost 10 yards on the play as it was.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post

I said out loud "what are you doing??" when they ran that play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    How is going for it on 4th and long any better? You still turn the ball over if you miss it, and dude lost almost 10 yards on the play as it was.
    4th and 2 is long yardage?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I want to know is how does a team that kicked the sh!t out of us look so bad the following two weeks?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    What I want to know is how does a team that kicked the sh!t out of us look so bad the following two weeks?
    Because contrary to what alot of people here think, Dalton is still a young developing QB who will flash at times and **** the bed others. This idea that QB's are either great or bad after their rookie season is a total load of crap. It still takes 3 years at least for a QB to really start reaching his potential. Only difference is we are watching them go through the growing pains in live action instead of on the bench behind the scenes.

The right call there was to punt and pin BAL back against their own EZ. If your D plays well you will win back field position and then the FG is for the win.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Because contrary to what alot of people here think, Dalton is still a young developing QB who will flash at times and **** the bed others. This idea that QB's are either great or bad after their rookie season is a total load of crap. It still takes 3 years at least for a QB to really start reaching his potential. Only difference is we are watching them go through the growing pains in live action instead of on the bench behind the scenes.

The right call there was to punt and pin BAL back against their own EZ. If your D plays well you will win back field position and then the FG is for the win.
    Ding..ding...ding...winner chicken dinner
    That is why that Bengals coach has never won anything
    Stupid the way that game was playing out
    you don't try the kick because it doesn't win the game
    you punt & force them to go 50 or more yards

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    How so?

The resulting Gong-Show of a running play, resulted in 10 more extra yards for the Ravens so you can't say that a missed FG would've given them better field position.

Besides, why not go for the FG anyway? Yeah I know some here are saying they should've punted it but is there any guarantee that the Punter punts a GOOD kick? What if he shanks it? What if he punts it into the endzone for a Touchback? WHAT IF IT GETS BLOCKED? There's a lot of risk there as well.

At least with an attempted FG, you have a chance to really put the opposing team behind the 8-ball where all it would take is one 3-and-out and the win is yours.

Yeah I get that going for the TD is preferable but when you're at 4th and 2(which is not the same as 4th and inches or even 4th and 1), and you're in FG range(barely), YOU *DON'T* CALL A RUNNING PLAY. You try to kick the FG in that situation. I'm sorry but that's what I believe is the *CORRECT* call to make, ESPECIALLY in OT.

And so what if your 'D' has to make a stop? THAT'S THEIR JOB, REGARDLESS.
    Last edited by Vin; 11-11-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    4th and 2 is long yardage?

Against a team that historically is stingy against the RUN?

4th and 2 might as well be 4th and 12 so YES. It *is* long yardage.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking punting and pinning them deep in there own end would have been the right call. At that point it would be first FG wins it and your winning the field position battle. No brainer if you ask me. 4th and inches? maybe go for it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    I was thinking punting and pinning them deep in there own end would have been the right call. At that point it would be first FG wins it and your winning the field position battle. No brainer if you ask me. 4th and inches? maybe go for it
    You kick the FG, make it, then you kick it off and if you can get a touchback, they start at their own 20.

If they miss the FG, they start a little further up(at the 30, I think) but either way, the Defense STILL has to make a stop.

And here's the rub : Say the defense does punt it away, that means that they got their possession and the other team now gets a chance to WIN THE GAME with a FG(unless I'm wrong in this). The right decision for the Bengals would've been to at least go for the FG instead.