Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three keys are fueling the Rex Ryan revival

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Sorry, I still see David Shaw on our sideline.
    Well, whatever. If you believe that - it's all good. But I do believe Woody is a Rex supporter and that will be proved either during the season or shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
    Mainejet with the not so subtle trolling attempt.

You really should have been banned a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Irony to end all Ironies right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    The Irony to end all Ironies right here.
    The poster with not even 200 posts of pure sh*t, accuses me of being a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    AGREED. I want Geno to get more time to cultivate his talent before we make any rash decisions. But let me ask you this....

If there is a top notch QB prospect looking you right in the face in the 1st round of the 2014 draft and you are the type of person that believes in taking the BAP, would you select him? I know I would. Competition brings out the best in everyone. It will provide that necessary push on Geno to make sure he does everything necessary to make himself into the best he can be. If Geno is not the answer, then you already have a very viable solution on the roster.

I also believe Rex and Tanny's approach to never giving Mark Sanchez any pressure in the way of QB player pick-ups made him what he is today. That is, a useless player with a sense of entitlement destined to be cut. They made him feel like the king of NY when he should have been pushed to become better right from day one. Now, I am not saying he should be pushed too hard, but there is a happy medium of ever increasing pressure.
    Here is the thing - how can you evaluate ANY QB with the skill players the Jets have put on the field this year? Brady has been Hot Garbage most of the year, and when they finally can have Gronkowski, Amendola, Edelman, and the rookies, suddenly Brady looks like Tom Brady. What the Jets have trotted out have been waiver wire guys for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbowlguy View Post
    Here is the thing - how can you evaluate ANY QB with the skill players the Jets have put on the field this year? Brady has been Hot Garbage most of the year, and when they finally can have Gronkowski, Amendola, Edelman, and the rookies, suddenly Brady looks like Tom Brady. What the Jets have trotted out have been waiver wire guys for the most part.
    I'm not advocating the Jets make a final decision on Geno. I think it is only fair to give the guy more of a shot. You have to do when you consider Sanchez was given forever and a day.

But I do think from a GM standpoint, you cannot pass on a great player when he is staring you in the face, no matter what his position. And certainly fear of offending a player that is currently on the roster should not even be a consideration.

Remember, if the Jets draft another QB they would have to deal with an offensive lack of talent as well. It's not as though any incumbent would be given any advantages. He would have to compete side by side with Geno. Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not advocating the Jets make a final decision on Geno. I think it is only fair to give the guy more of a shot. You have to do when you consider Sanchez was given forever and a day.

But I do think from a GM standpoint, you cannot pass on a great player when he is staring you in the face, no matter what his position. And certainly fear of offending a player that is currently on the roster should not even be a consideration.

Remember, if the Jets draft another QB they would have to deal with an offensive lack of talent as well. It's not as though any incumbent would be given any advantages. He would have to compete side by side with Geno. Let the chips fall where they may.
    Wait - so you are advocating drafting another high pick QB so that they would both have bad skill players for comparison?

Wait - so you are advocating drafting another high pick QB so that they would both have bad skill players for comparison?
    Stop jumping to conclusions. Where am I suggesting such a thing? What I am saying is that any incumbent QB would have to make due with whatever is on the Jets roster at that time... Good, bad, or indifferent.

Stop jumping to conclusions. Where am I suggesting such a thing? What I am saying is that any incumbent QB would have to make due with whatever is on the Jets roster at that time... Good, bad, or indifferent.
    Not trying to be confrontational.... I just don't understand your premise. Why would the Jets want TWO QB's with the same bad weapons? I really don't think Idzik's goal is to "make due" just to see which QB is better. My response is, you see that Geno has the physical skills of a potential top QB - The arm, accuracy, and running ability. Geno is just trying to hard to make plays with a bunch of scrubs out there. His best games have come with at least some semblance of skill players. The Jets can NOT keep trotting this group out there. At some point the fans and even the defensive players have to say enough is enough. I know that Ivory has had two good games in a row, but Geno still has more rushing TD's than ALL the other RB's combined.

I think what you're really saying is that it wouldn't hurt to have a CAPABLE Backup QB who can come in if Geno struggles.

Right?

I think everyone here is missing the real debate -- Goldman Sacks or Goldman Snacks? Give a detailed explanation for your choice. If both are so good that you can't make a decision specify as much in your resposne.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Earned! The only thing Ryan has EARNED in his job security is maybe a few more positive thoughts in Woody's mind as to
    his overall decision. Rex must have the greatest P.R. person in the world because EVERYBODY is demanding he be rehired.
    But short of making the playoffs, which is a long shot anyway, how do we know what will make Woody say yes.
    I would put just as much on Stanford's coach David Shaw, to be on our sideline next year.
    WOW....
    Let me guess, Vince Lombardi back from the dead, right?
    Until, of course, he loses two games in a row, then you'll want him dead again.

Not trying to be confrontational.... I just don't understand your premise. Why would the Jets want TWO QB's with the same bad weapons? I really don't think Idzik's goal is to "make due" just to see which QB is better. My response is, you see that Geno has the physical skills of a potential top QB - The arm, accuracy, and running ability. Geno is just trying to hard to make plays with a bunch of scrubs out there. His best games have come with at least some semblance of skill players. The Jets can NOT keep trotting this group out there. At some point the fans and even the defensive players have to say enough is enough. I know that Ivory has had two good games in a row, but Geno still has more rushing TD's than ALL the other RB's combined.
    Who says they will have the same bad weapons as you say? Maybe they get a few playmakers in this years draft? Maybe they don't. But good QB prospects are not always available. Apparently, this years draft will have a lot of them. Regardless of whether the Jets have playmakers, if there is a good, young QB that is available I think Idzik should take him. You can always add offensive playmakers through FA or through later drafts. But to pass on a good, young QB prospect just because you do not have any great offensive playmakers, at this particular moment, would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Rex is the best Jets coach in my lifetime. Despite very little talent on the offensive side of the ball the past 2 seasons coupled with bad coaching, although TS was of his choosing, the defensive side of the ball remained a strong positive. It will be foolish for the Jets to get rid of Rex.
    Why so little talent on the offensive side of the ball? Could it be that Rex has insisted on drafting defensive players while ignoring the offense? And don't tell me it was Tannenbaum---Tannenbaum did what Rex told him to do. Idzak has not had enough time to address the offensive problems.

PS How many first round draft choices are playing defense for the Rex this year?

Who says they will have the same bad weapons as you say? Maybe they get a few playmakers in this years draft? Maybe they don't. But good QB prospects are not always available. Apparently, this years draft will have a lot of them. Regardless of whether the Jets have playmakers, if there is a good, young QB that is available I think Idzik should take him. You can always add offensive playmakers through FA or through later drafts. But to pass on a good, young QB prospect just because you do not have any great offensive playmakers, at this particular moment, would be crazy.
    I don't disagree, but don't do it in the first round. The Jets probably will be picking anywhere from 15-21 - the top QB's will be gone. That first rounder might be better served looking for a WR/TE/RB. Your chances of finding a game changer at a skill position are obviously going to be better in the first round. If you see a QB you really like that makes it to the third round, then yeah, you can pull the trigger. (Like the Skins getting Kirk Cousins the same draft as RG3). But other than secondary help, this Jets team really only needs to be drafting WR/TE/RB mostly in the first three rounds. I get the whole BPA, but IMO, the Jets are a solid offense away from being a top team in the AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think what you're really saying is that it wouldn't hurt to have a CAPABLE Backup QB who can come in if Geno struggles.

Right?
    I'm not sure what you mean? I am saying that if a good, young QB prospect is available in this years draft, I think Idzik should take him. If that young QB turns out to win a straight up QB competition in TC then I think the Jets should start him over Geno. If Geno wins the competition, then I think they should start Geno. But to simply pass a on a great, young prospect just because you perceive the team as having a lack of offensive playmakers is crazy.

I do not believe putting Geno in a QB competition would mess with his psyche. He just went through a QB competition, right? He seems to have come out of that OK. Remember, any QB prospect (and also Geno) would have to deal with a lack of offensive playmakers. So it would still be a level playing field. Now, if Idzik has the good fortune of getting a lot of offensive playmakers right along with a good QB prospect, then Geno and that QB prospect would compete playing with better offensive weapons.

What is so hard to understand about that? I do not believe the surrounding offensive playmakers has any relevance whatsoever whether Idzik should select a QB. If you believe in taking the BAP then you select the BAP. Period. Your mind is not changed because of current conditions with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Why so little talent on the offensive side of the ball? Could it be that Rex has insisted on drafting defensive players while ignoring the offense? And don't tell me it was Tannenbaum---Tannenbaum did what Rex told him to do. Idzak has not had enough time to address the offensive problems.

PS How many first round draft choices are playing defense for the Rex this year?
    I don't think we COMPLETELY ignored the offense while Rex was here. Our first draft was all offensive players as well as our second draft (minus Kyle Wilson) and we brought in Braylon, LT and Holmes. The big thing was Sanchez not developing into the guy we thought he could be. Once we lost some key players, his production significantly dropped. Plus we had clueless bums for offensive coordinators like Schitty and Sparano.

And to answer your question, 7 I believe (Coples, Cromartie, Wilkerson, Milliner, Pace, Richardson, Wilson). Though Pace and Cromartie were years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean? I am saying that if a good, young QB prospect is available in this years draft, I think Idzik should take him. If that young QB turns out to win a straight up QB competition in TC then I think the Jets should start him over Geno. If Geno wins the competition, then I think they should start Geno. But to simply pass a on a great, young prospect just because you perceive the team as having a lack of offensive playmakers is crazy.

I do not believe putting Geno in a QB competition would mess with his psyche. He just went through a QB competition, right? He seems to have come out of that OK. Remember, any QB prospect (and also Geno) would have to deal with a lack of offensive playmakers. So it would still be a level playing field. Now, if Idzik has the good fortune of getting a lot of offensive playmakers right along with a good QB prospect, then Geno and that QB prospect would compete playing with better offensive weapons.

What is so hard to understand about that? I do not believe the surrounding offensive playmakers has any relevance whatsoever whether Idzik should select a QB. If you believe in taking the BAP then you select the BAP. Period. Your mind is not changed because of current conditions with the team.
    agree- but in your original post you were advocating using the first rounder.

agree- but in your original post you were advocating using the first rounder.
    Right. And I am now also. My view of taking the BAP is taking BAP in each and every round of the draft, regardless of position. You say there will not be any good QB prospects available to Idzik at possibly 15 to 21? Well, there's a long way to go before the draft. Some top prospects could drop due to character concerns or bad workouts/combine numbers/scandals. Anything could happen. Now, if that BAP just so happens to be a WR, then I say Idzik should select that WR regardless of what round that BAP comes along in. In that scenario, it would address a major area of need for the Jets.

Right. And I am now also. My view of taking the BAP is taking BAP in each and every round of the draft, regardless of position. You say there will not be any good QB prospects available to Idzik at possibly 15 to 21? Well, there's a long way to go before the draft. Some top prospects could drop due to character concerns or bad workouts/combine numbers/scandals. Anything could happen. Now, if that BAP just so happens to be a WR, then I say Idzik should select that WR regardless of what round that BAP comes along in. In that scenario, it would address a major area of need for the Jets.
    That's cool I guess.... We will just have to agree to disagree. I understand BAP... I think its better suited though for teams that are either already a contender, or for teams that are really depleted. I mean if you take the BAP thing that serious, you are saying that you would take a NT if he was BAP. For the Jets(IMO) I would use that first rounder on BAP at the following positions - WR/TE/RB/CB/Safety. And then if you have done some serious scouting, you can adjust down later in the draft. But at some point, if the Jets are serious about winning, they have to address skill positions. I just looked at the top receivers this year and the majority of them are 1st/2nd rounders. There are always exceptions(Garcon, Cruz) but all the truly big dogs are top draft picks. Of course I also believe the Jets are ready to win starting next year. At some point, the window is going to start closing on the Oline guys. Also - what if the Jets select the 4th QB in the first round and he ends up not beating out Geno(say they end up with a Ponder or a Weeden) - Now you have a first rounder sitting on your bench. I just believe that the first round picks are like gold. Use them wisely to get a game changer.
    Last edited by fishbowlguy; 11-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post

Ha that's bs.. MT did not know jack shhhit about player evaluation.. Rex obviously is tremendous in D player eval.. He wanted big Mo who was extremely raw, we got him 4 picks from 2nd round? He worked out coples and gave his " opinion" Rex did what he did best eval d players.. MT didn't have a clue so yes he probably went with Rex recommendations more often then a gm should.. Rex was a rookie HC, no way should a rookie HC " bully" a gm on what players to take.. That's MTs fault.. He certainly didn't help buy tying wasted $ in overpaying Sanchez, Holmes, hunter.. Rex said right away he was against the hill pick.. This was izdik's draft, here is a "rookie" gm showing more command as a gm should in draft than that scuzbucket MT.. He clearly went with " best player ranked on board" don't tell me EVERYONE wasn't on him for the Richardson pick.. """Who???! Another Dline in 1st round???" That's all u heard.. Now Izdik looks like a genius.. I'm not sure how much input Rex had on Richardson pick, but it was izdik's call and he stuck with the board despite Dline already being the 1 strong point of the team..