Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Jets needs in the offseason - what we expected.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Are you a Jet fan?

With zero playmakers, how did they win 5 games ?
    With defense. Although I usually disagree with that guy, he is right. We have 0 playmakers. We find ways to win with defense, a decent run game, and Folk.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I think they are going to beat Miami tomorrow.
    The Phish are certainly ripe for slaughter. Let's hope so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Talk about disasters. That entire situation has turned to sh|t, and then dissolved into diarrhea mixed with bad Indian food wrapped in a baby's diaper.

Hall Of Fame
    That depends heavily on what Hill shows over the next 7+ games. I haven't completely given up on him yet. But if he doesn't show some spark, then yes, we'll need to pick up two WRs for sure.
    I haven't given up on him yet either. If he goes out and plays like a monster for the rest of the season I might feel differently about how much we invest (picks/money) but I still think we need 2 WRs regardless to team up with Hill and Kerley.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    With defense. Although I usually disagree with that guy, he is right. We have 0 playmakers. We find ways to win with defense, a decent run game, and Folk.
    Don't get me wrong, we have decent receivers like Nelson, salas and Kerley who can make catches here and there. But to win in this league, you need dynamic playmakers who can stretch the field and burn opposing secondaries. Nobody on the team has the measurables to do that, outside of Hill, who we all know can't catch the damn ball.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Talk about disasters. That entire situation has turned to sh|t, and then dissolved into diarrhea mixed with bad Indian food wrapped in a baby's diaper.
    Dolphin Vindaloo

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I haven't given up on him yet either. If he goes out and plays like a monster for the rest of the season I might feel differently about how much we invest (picks/money) but I still think we need 2 WRs regardless to team up with Hill and Kerley.
    Agreed but if Hill is legitimate starter material, and Kerley is our slot guy, then we need 1 starter and 1 reliable backup/WR4 guy and that wouldn't require a big investment. In fact, between Nelson and Salas, we might already have that guy. But it's really too early to try to figure any of that out.

Personally, I really don't see it with Hill. IMO, he will NEVER be a #1. But, right now there is nobody else out there to take the pressure off of him. I would imagine if you could put an Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, heck or even Hakeem Nicks on the other side of him, you would see much more production than what you are getting now. But he HAS to learn to attack the ball at the high point.

Hall Of Fame
    Agreed but if Hill is legitimate starter material, and Kerley is our slot guy, then we need 1 starter and 1 reliable backup/WR4 guy and that wouldn't require a big investment. In fact, between Nelson and Salas, we might already have that guy. But it's really too early to try to figure any of that out.
    I like Kerley but on a good offensive team (which should be the goal) he is a #3. So IMO right now we need a #1 and a #2. At the very least we need to get a real #1. I could live with Hill as the #2 if he earns that by the end of the season but I think that is highly unlikely seeing how his production has dropped since Holmes got hurt. If Hill continues his current trajectory then he should be our #4 in 2014. Nelson and Salas are bottom of the roster WRs IMO. Good for depth but not impact players.

I don't think Stephen Hill is able to be a #1 guy that opens things up for other guys. But if the Jets had other legitimate weapons, he could beat some lesser corners 1-on-1.

Watkins, Evans, or Lee would make a huge difference in the offense I think. The Jets might benefit because so many teams picking in front of them will be taking QB's in the first round. Hopefully they can get their hands on one of those receivers.

All Pro
    Here is your list of FA Wide Receivers next year (barring cuts). The only two I would spend money on personally would be Jacoby Jones or Jeremy Maclin, given that Boldin will re-sign, and quite frankly, wouldn't spend $8 million on a receiver to begin with.
    Pickings are slim here, really.

Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333
    Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006
    Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000
    Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000
    James Jones Packers $3,233,333
    Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000
    Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000
    Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000
    Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000
    Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000
    Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002
    Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000
    Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000
    Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000
    Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000
    Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000
    Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000
    Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000
    Ben Tate Bengals $966,000
    Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000
    Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000
    Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000
    Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600
    Damian Williams Titans $864,063
    Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875
    Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000
    Eric Decker Broncos $828,788
    Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211
    Michael Spurlock Lions $780,000
    Louis Murphy Giants $780,000
    Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000
    Brian Robiskie Falcons $715,000
    Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000
    Robert Meachem Saints $715,000
    Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000
    Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000
    Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145
    Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000
    Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000
    Tandon Doss Ravens $555,000
    Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870
    Kyle Williams 49ers $504,838
    Dezmon Briscoe Redskins $485,000

Kinda like Jacoby jones. I think something I've come to realize over part couple years is don't pay major bucks for big name free agents. Just use free agency for depth. Draft and develop your own stars.

Edit: unless a franchise qb such as rothlisberger becomes available...

I have watched Sammy Watkins play since Pop Warner thru HS, this young man would be great in MM's offense. He brings so much to the field and is a threat anytime he has the ball. Don't think he will be there when we pick unless we trade up to get him. As much as I would love to see him in Green and White, not thrilled about trading picks to get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That TB pick now looks like #1 in the 3rd round
    Excellent point. Especially after the jags win today.

Hall Of Fame
    Didn't Tampa want to give us their 2014 1st instead? I know we wouldn't have Sheldon but we would be in position for the #1 overall this year.

I would not mind trading up for Sammy Watkins if he really proves to be a future dominant WR. Haven't had that since what? Keyshawn Johnson?

I also like Marqise Lee, when he's 100% healthy he's really a difference maker. He'll do well at the combine & scouts haven't forgot his past 2 seasons.

Sammy Watkins & Marqise Lee are the only WRs I'd spend a 1st on, since I think they have a real chance to be an impactful #1 immediately.

As far as Free Agent options go, I wouldn't put too much money out for 1. Kenny Britt or maybe Maclin if cheap or a vet that gets cut (Andre Johnson? Larry Fitz?).
    I hope teams in need of WR drafting in front of us ends up with WRs like Hakeem Nicks, Eric Decker & Golden Tate. That way WR won't be a 1st round need for those specific teams.(Raiders, Rams, Steelers?)
    Last edited by DowNY; 11-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I have watched Sammy Watkins play since Pop Warner thru HS, this young man would be great in MM's offense. He brings so much to the field and is a threat anytime he has the ball. Don't think he will be there when we pick unless we trade up to get him. As much as I would love to see him in Green and White, not thrilled about trading picks to get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    If we want Sammy, I think it'll take TB's 3rd rd pick & a 5th (which we should have 2 this year). I would pull the trigger. I'd even throw Stephen Hill in the deal.

Didn't Tampa want to give us their 2014 1st instead? I know we wouldn't have Sheldon but we would be in position for the #1 overall this year.
    Would have loved to have their 1st & still drafted Sheldon Richardson instead of Dee Milliner. We wanted instant gratification though & that's what we got. TB's high 3rd can be packaged to nab Sammy Watkins though.

Sammy Watkins & Sheldon Richardson for Darrell Revis sounds about right.

Don't know what you're talking about...
    Phish just celebrated 30 years, coming off a GREAT tour and building up to the NYE run.
    They sound better than they have this Millennium and they're showing no signs of letting up.
    Recording a new album right now, actually. And Trey is sober.
    Phish ain't going anywhere, bub.

Veteran
    Would you trade Sheldon for tampas #1 right now?