Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Jets needs in the offseason - what we expected.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Would you trade Sheldon for tampas #1 right now?
    Yes. For the #1 overall I would have to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Here is your list of FA Wide Receivers next year (barring cuts). The only two I would spend money on personally would be Jacoby Jones or Jeremy Maclin, given that Boldin will re-sign, and quite frankly, wouldn't spend $8 million on a receiver to begin with.
    Pickings are slim here, really.

Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333
    Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006
    Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000
    Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000
    James Jones Packers $3,233,333
    Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000
    Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000
    Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000
    Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000
    Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000
    Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002
    Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000
    Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000
    Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000
    Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000
    Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000
    Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000
    Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000
    Ben Tate Bengals $966,000
    Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000
    Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000
    Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000
    Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600
    Damian Williams Titans $864,063
    Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875
    Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000
    Eric Decker Broncos $828,788
    Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211
    Michael Spurlock Lions $780,000
    Louis Murphy Giants $780,000
    Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000
    Brian Robiskie Falcons $715,000
    Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000
    Robert Meachem Saints $715,000
    Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000
    Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000
    Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145
    Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000
    Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000
    Tandon Doss Ravens $555,000
    Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870
    Kyle Williams 49ers $504,838
    Dezmon Briscoe Redskins $485,000
    None of these players interest me. Here's a very possible scenario that if it happens the Jets must grab him. A. Johnson (Texans) may be a cap casualty this off season. If so, Jets need to bring him to NY. He's a playmaker and good character. He can really help our young developing QB. Imagine adding Johnson and drafting one of the top wrs? OMG. Couple that with what we have now and our entire O has been transformed just by those two additions.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No. Why? Richardson is becoming, if not already, a proven NFL player soon to be a star. Our luck is we draft a bust with the #1. No thanks. We have another stud on our D-line for years to come.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to sign or trade for a WR AND draft a WR. We need two of them. Maybe Cleveland is willing to trade Gordon in the offseason.
    I'd be down to trade for Gordon and take a WR in day 2.......

Who knows what Cleveland will do at this point with Gordon, they will probably keep him...

I would love to get Watkins this year and Kelvin Benjamin next year as well.......if we can't get Gordon...
    Last edited by carlito1171; 11-10-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're insane.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given how this SB season turned out to be a huge bust for Houston raising all kind of questions for the upcoming offseason, I would not be surprised if A. Johnson is released.

Andre Johnson restructures Texans contract to facilitate Brian Cushing deal
    By Mark Sandritter@MarkSandritter on Sep 3 2013, 8:10p +

Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sport

The Texans were able to sign Brian Cushing to an extension after reworking Andre Johnson's contract again.

Tweet(29) Share(175) Share + Comments

For the third straight year, Andre Johnson restructured his contract to create salary cap space for the Texans. Houston reworked Johnson's deal on Tuesday, in order to create enough room for Brian Cushing's six-year extension.

Johnson was set to earn a base salary of $10.5 million this season, but he and the Texans agreed to a deal that reduced his base salary to $5 million with the other $5.5 million converted to bonuses, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. The Texans and Johnson agreed to similar deals in each of the past two seasons, reducing his base salary and converting the difference into a bonus.

Although the latest restructure will help Houston in the short term, it could have an impact on Johnson's long-term standing with the team. Joel Corry, a salary cap expert for National Football Post and former agent, said Johnson could eventually become candidate for release because each restructure raises his future cap numbers.

Johnson's salary cap numbers aren't likely to be a factor as long as he remains productive. However, at 32 years old, he could begin to decline soon, at which point his cap number may be too high for Houston to justify or manage.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    You're insane.
    He's a Jets fan.

It goes with the territory.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Would you trade Sheldon for tampas #1 right now?
    No

And I know the pick there would be Clowney for us......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    No. Why? Richardson is becoming, if not already, a proven NFL player soon to be a star. Our luck is we draft a bust with the #1. No thanks. We have another stud on our D-line for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    You're insane.
    There are maybe 10 players in the league that wouldn't be traded for that pick. A rookie DT is not one of them. This is not a knock on Richardson. The value of that pick is tremendous. Think about what the Redskins gave up to move up for RG3. It would be a no-brainer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And then trade down and pick up a ****load more picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    And then trade down and pick up a ****load more picks.
    So we lose Sheldon, gain the #1, then trade that pick to get more picks....

I understand the logic but I don't want to lose Sheldon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I've been banging the drum for offense for the last few years, but I'd trade Richardson for the #1 pick in a heartbeat...and I'd use it on Clowney.

I'd also try to pick up Sanders in free agency if the price is right. He's a good #2 receiver.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I know I've been banging the drum for offense for the last few years, but I'd trade Richardson for the #1 pick in a heartbeat...and I'd use it on Clowney
    You guys are crazy to think this makes any sense. History has shown there is no guarantee with any draft pick, especially the #1 overall pick. And guess what as good as Richardson is this year, he isn't worth a #1 overall to any team. And with the rookie pay scale being what it is, keeping the #1 overall pick and trading down makes much more sense to the team that holds it then trading out for the pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I know I've been banging the drum for offense for the last few years, but I'd trade Richardson for the #1 pick in a heartbeat...and I'd use it on Clowney.

I'd also try to pick up Sanders in free agency if the price is right. He's a good #2 receiver.
    The 1st three picks in the draft will be the Bucs, Jags.
    Jags need a QB
    Bucs need a new coach
    Personally, I think the Jets are 2 wide receivers, 1 OLB, & 1 free safety from being a dominate team.
    Call me crazy but I think Golden Tate is the perfect type WR for Martys offense. He has good hands, runs like a RB in the open field & is just coming into his own.
    Here is what I would try to do. I would try to get up to get Clowney for Rex & finally solidify this defense.
    This is how I would do it.
    Trade our 1, Ellis & Hill & our 3rd, Tampa pick that will be probably 1st pick in the 3rd for Clowney.
    That is a fair trade & really helps both teams.
    We would have Clowney & our 2nd, 4th and hopefully 8 more picks.
    In free agency we target, Tate (obviously I'm not overpaying & I actual believe FA won't be great for WRs in 2014).
    Then I would target Jarius Byrd from Buffalo.
    Now because we will still have FA money, I would let free agency play out & when the dust clears fill in the rest of the roster with value veterans.
    I've noticed that prices come down after the 1st salvo in FA, then the agents start looking for teams they know have money (Jets will be one of them), to see what the best fit is for their client. Jets are a team on the upswing with a players coach like Rex & seem to have found a QB. When teams are bargaining & prices come down, players want to go to a place with stability & a chance to win.
    Jets will be one of those teams.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The 1st three picks in the draft will be the Bucs, Jags.
    Jags need a QB
    Bucs need a new coach
    Personally, I think the Jets are 2 wide receivers, 1 OLB, & 1 free safety from being a dominate team.
    Call me crazy but I think Golden Tate is the perfect type WR for Martys offense. He has good hands, runs like a RB in the open field & is just coming into his own.
    Here is what I would try to do. I would try to get up to get Clowney for Rex & finally solidify this defense.
    This is how I would do it.
    Trade our 1, Ellis & Hill & our 3rd, Tampa pick that will be probably 1st pick in the 3rd for Clowney.
    That is a fair trade & really helps both teams.
    We would have Clowney & our 2nd, 4th and hopefully 8 more picks.
    In free agency we target, Tate (obviously I'm not overpaying & I actual believe FA won't be great for WRs in 2014).
    Then I would target Jarius Byrd from Buffalo.
    Now because we will still have FA money, I would let free agency play out & when the dust clears fill in the rest of the roster with value veterans.
    I've noticed that prices come down after the 1st salvo in FA, then the agents start looking for teams they know have money (Jets will be one of them), to see what the best fit is for their client. Jets are a team on the upswing with a players coach like Rex & seem to have found a QB. When teams are bargaining & prices come down, players want to go to a place with stability & a chance to win.
    Jets will be one of those teams.
    So the Jets trade the boat for Clowney and God forbid he blows a knee or has concussion issues, back to the drawing board to restart a whole new rebuilding scenario, no thanks. The Jets need to sign for depth like this year and draft playmakers. Not too many playmakers go from team to team unless they are on teams with no playoff chance going to another with a shot. The Jets are too good to dump salaries for rebuilding and not good enough to get mercenaries to push them over the top. Maybe in a couple of year when Manning and Brady fall off even more

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why the hell would you trade a young, solid player that fits in our scheme for a draft pick with uncertainty? The way Clowney is playing this year I am glad we wont be in the position to take him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before I get chewed up, think about this for a moment, our secondary is clearly the weakest part of our defense. While Ed Reed has lost a step, or two, this may not be a bad move for the Jets if the Texans were to release Reed. Especially for a playoff run.

http://overthecap.com/should-the-tex...lease-ed-reed/

Should the Texans Release Ed Reed?

Contracts, Salary cap

by jason

The Houston Texans officially benched struggling Safety Ed Reed yesterday which brings up many questions about his future in the NFL. With that in mind it should be best for all parties to simply release Reed from his contract to see if he can find another home.

I discussed a while ago how teams can attempt to use the waiver process as a means to essentially make a trade for cap space and for the Texans it is probably worth the risk even if no one bites on Reed. Reed will carry a salary cap charge of $5.333 million in 2014 which includes a $4 million base salary. They will free up $2.666 million in salary cap space by releasing him and clearly when you factor in both the $4 million cash savings with the cap savings his future in Houston is already set in stone. Releasing Reed now or in February has the same salary cap effect in 2014.

Reed currently earns two sets of payments from the Texans. The first is a fully guaranteed base salary that is paid out as $58,824 per game and totals $470,588 for the remainder of the year. If Reed was to go unclaimed the Texans would have to cut Reed a check for that amount. Reed also has a roster bonus that is paid at $62,500 for each week that he dresses for the game. This bonus is not guaranteed so the Texans would save themselves a potential $500,000 by releasing Reed. They could also avoid that payment by making him inactive on Sundays, but that would make what is likely a bad situation worse.

Because the weekend is upon us the Texans would still be responsible this weeks pay. If Reed was claimed by a contending team the Texans would save both the $411,765 guarantee and the $437,500 in bonus payments. Assuming he would be replaced by a rookie the net salary cap savings for Houston would be $682,500, a significant sum for a team with a delicate salary cap situation moving forward. If he went unclaimed the savings would be nearly $270,735 making it make financial sense to move on from a player with no future or real ties to the Houston franchise.

I would think it is possible that a playoff caliber team would take a flier on Reed for the balance of his salary and possible bonus payments to ensure they were entitled to his contract rather than allowing him to be a free agent. If Reed immediately signed with a club as a free agent he would earn $387,059 for the balance of the season so a team would really only be adding the roster bonus money to the equation. I could see a team making that additional investment if they believed he could still contribute.

Houston really has nothing to lose by releasing Reed. It gives him the chance to go elsewhere and finish his career while the Texans will get some cap relief and avoid any problems that may occur with him playing sparingly on a bad team. The Texans don’t owe Reed anything, but he is a sunk cost at this point and they will not be getting any value from him anyway in 2013. If they can save some money from this point forward its the best decision the team can make.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll pass on Ed Reed.

This is 2013, not 2003

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason why I wouldn't bring in Reed is b.c I don't think he is going to make that much of a difference in coverage and that is where we need help. Saying that about Ed Reed sounds crazy but if you watched him this year it is obvious that he is not the same. The hip must be bothering him. If I had to guess I would think he is going to try and latch on with a team he thinks is a contender, assuming he actually gets released..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Here is your list of FA Wide Receivers next year (barring cuts). The only two I would spend money on personally would be Jacoby Jones or Jeremy Maclin, given that Boldin will re-sign, and quite frankly, wouldn't spend $8 million on a receiver to begin with.
    Pickings are slim here, really.

Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333
    Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006
    Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000
    Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000
    James Jones Packers $3,233,333
    Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000
    Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000
    Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000
    Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000
    Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000
    Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002
    Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000
    Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000
    Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000
    Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000
    Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000
    Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000
    Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000
    Ben Tate Bengals $966,000
    Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000
    Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000
    Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000
    Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600
    Damian Williams Titans $864,063
    Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875
    Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000
    Eric Decker Broncos $828,788
    Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211
    Michael Spurlock Lions $780,000
    Louis Murphy Giants $780,000
    Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000
    Brian Robiskie Falcons $715,000
    Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000
    Robert Meachem Saints $715,000
    Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000
    Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000
    Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145
    Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000
    Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000
    Tandon Doss Ravens $555,000
    Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870
    Kyle Williams 49ers $504,838
    Dezmon Briscoe Redskins $485,000
    theres a lot of pretty decent players on that list.. I know a lot of teams will resign their players, but for arguments sake i would take a run at the following and then draft a WR when value met our draft position.

In no particular order: james jones, emmanuel sanders, eric decker, julian edleman, jeremy maclin, riley cooper, and golden tate...

maclin would be a great pick up because of his experience with MM, same with cooper, who has come on this year, but to a lesser degree since maclin is a better player maker.

any one of these guys would really upgrade our receiving core and allow us some flexibility during the draft to go BPA instead of just trying to fill a glaring hole.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to sign or trade for a WR AND draft a WR. We need two of them. Maybe Cleveland is willing to trade Gordon in the offseason.
    No need to trade draft picks when you have a good Unrestricted FA class. Sign Hakeem Nicks to a mega deal and give Kenny Britt a 1 year deal at just above the league minimum. Nicks will be a force for us and Britt will accept a cheap 1 year deal to play in his home state and audition for his next contract.

Stay Away From:

Boldin
    Cotch
    Meachem
    Riley Cooper
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 11-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.