Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Geno's Ceiling?

Veteran

What is Geno's Ceiling?

A lot of fans seem to have varying expectations of Geno Smith, some think he will be
    a Pro Bowler and others think he will just be a journeyman or worse. What are you're
    thoughts on Geno's potential and his future?

He looks like he can be a great QB.

He's better than Sanchez, that much is obvious.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Best QB to ever touch a football

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Well. I expect measured realistic judgements like that.

Practice Squad
    He can make all the throws, he has good arm strength, he isn't afraid to go down the field, but he isn't yet making the right decisions. He seems to work hard enough that he should be able to figure out how to read defenses and make the right throws at the right times. Once he does that I don't see any reason he can't be a top-10 NFL QB. I don't know if I see him leading a GB/Den/NE-style offense, but if he reaches his ceiling he'll be more than good enough to win us a championship, provided we surround him with the right pieces.

I would hope for a high ceiling however am not optimistic given his inconsistency and poor mechanics. His mechanics are a work in progress and should improve. On the plus side throws a better deep ball than I thought he would throw and has looked good on screens. His college stats were inflated by Austen who made Clemens looked pretty damn good today. Whether he has the head of a top qb remains to be seen-really have not seen that yet-he does have the benefit of MM -we'll see.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Well. I expect measured realistic judgements like that.
    Decided I'd match the quality of the query.

Geno is intelligent and can win games with his arm and legs, a lot will have to do with his line, play makers and OC. a guy
    like Bill Walsh is necessary for a player to be really great.

His ceiling at home is a 14 foot cathedral with a slope, stone fireplace and wood paneling.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Intellifan View Post
    Geno is intelligent and can win games with his arm and legs, a lot will have to do with his line, play makers and OC. a guy
    like Bill Walsh is necessary for a player to be really great.

His ceiling at home is a 14 foot cathedral with a slope, stone fireplace and wood paneling.
    Do you think he will put it on the market anytime soon .... or wait for a higher equity value??

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    LOL.

Imagine that!

I'll "settle" for Eli.

He makes some of the most boneheaded decisions you'll ever see, but has two rings to show for it.

I DEFINITELY think some here are overestimating Geno (though I'd love to be wrong), but I don't think he has to be "great" to do great things, based on the team put around him . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Physically he has no limitations, he appears to have a stable temperament and seems to learn from mistakes. Based on that the ceiling is pretty high. Whether or not he gets there depends on (in no particular order) what kind of weapons we give him, what kind of OL we put in front of him and how much work/time he is willing to put in.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

The opposing teams only have 9 games of Reg. season tape on him so far ,lets see next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    He seems very motivated to succeed; therefore, I think he'll be a above average. He just needs to stay in the same system and stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I DEFINITELY think some here are overestimating Geno (though I'd love to be wrong), but I don't think he has to be "great" to do great things, based on the team put around him . . .
    Geno will NEVER start. He can't even beat out Sanchez. And even if he did Rex will never let it happen.

Right?

Do you think he will put it on the market anytime soon .... or wait for a higher equity value??

good one...

A lot of fans seem to have varying expectations of Geno Smith, some think he will be
    a Pro Bowler and others think he will just be a journeyman or worse. What are you're
    thoughts on Geno's potential and his future?
    Geno does seem to possess a similar sill set to Aaron Rodgers. He's fast and athletic like Rodges. Geno has top NFL arm talent like rodgers. He has demonstrated extreme clutchness as evidenced by is league leading 4 come from behind 4th quarter and overtime victories. He won a very tough game against the Saints with players named Salas, Sudfeld, and Nelson as his top 3 recievers available, with Santonio, kerley, cumberland, and Winslow all out. Wow!! Geno does in fact have Aaron Rodgers potential. People forget that Rodgers sat behind one of the best footbal players to ever set foot on the field in Brett Favre for 3 years. By year 3, Geno could very well be a top 5 QB like Aaron Rodgers.

All Pro
    His ceiling? Top 10 QB/tier below elite QB's

Will he get there? We'll see..........

Geno looks legit. I think he can be more accurate than RG3 and Russell Wilson overall. He definitely has the size, the athletic ability, and his mechanics are no where near as bad as the scouts said. Scouts said his footwork alone was 2 years away and that's already false. He still has his issues but MM and David Lee have done a hell of a job on him. Also they said he wasn't that coachable and that he'd have an issue with accuracy deep down the field and he's actually looked to be above average there. If Geno had weapons who knows what his ceiling can be but he needs weapons. If we can protect him, run the ball, and give him a dangerous weapon or 2 ... I think his ceiling is as high ass RG3, Russell and even Luck. If you told me I'd be saying this prior to the season I would have laughed at you. One of my friends is a college fanatic and watched way more Geno than I ever watched and before we drafted him he said Geno can be a more athletic Phillip Rivers when Rivers is really good. He actually looks pretty spot on with that.