Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jets will work out FA WR's this week.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    Probably there would be an additional SB Trophy sitting next to SB III.

I mean when you think about it, those 2 teams that went to AFC Title games in consecutive years were basically forced to play with 1 arm tied behind their backs. The Offense virtually NEVER put up a TD in the First Half of any game...pretty amazing.
    The reality back then was Sanchez played pretty good post season but we had Shotty as OC and that is what dragged us down. I'm no longer a Sanchez supported but just because the played poorly after those runs is no reason to rewrite history about how he performed during them. It's on Shotty not Sanchez.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    The reality back then was Sanchez played pretty good post season but we had Shotty as OC and that is what dragged us down. I'm no longer a Sanchez supported but just because the played poorly after those runs is no reason to rewrite history about how he performed during them. It's on Shotty not Sanchez.
    Shottenheimer is one of the worst OC's in the NFL...no doubt, but Sanchez actually did miss on some key throws even in his play-off wins. Threw for Under 200 yards in 3 of the 4 wins and hit some throws you would expect any NFL QB to make, not trying to re-write history.

The thing is, and it fooled me too, was that Sanchez was so bad, that whenever you would see him make a nice throw (which he would miss if you asked him to make the same exact throw and give him 19 more tries), you would say to yourself.."There, he has turned the corner, now we're going to see why this guy was drafted #5"...and then he'd just make you suffer watching him some more. So when he didn't mess up too much and the team was able to win a big game, you were left with a good feeling.

Also, the fact that the Jet Offense had to face 8 in the Box for virtually Sanchez' entire career is not on Shottenheimer, even if Shottenheimer was Geno's OC right now, or even Matt Simms for that matter, Defenses could never cheat like that. That was a direct indictment on the skill level of the QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I know this is going to shock some people, especially Savage, but I agree with what Fishooked said.

If he had anything left, he'd be on the Jets by now. Heck, if he had anything left, he wouldn't have been cut in favor of Clyde Friggin' Gates.
    Somewhere in your room Bray-Brays fathead just shed a tear..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Why is Braylon Edwards not on this team ? In 2009,He was better then Hill, he is a joke,
    Fixed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We might have gotten to the SuperBowl......TWICE. (In '09 and '10)
    2010 was probably a little better on the WR side but GENO is doing a great job, under the radar.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking the exact same thing the whole season.

Can you imagine how sick Geno is going to look throwing the ball if he has just 1/2 the talent those rag-arms Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton usually have to throw to?

Loving every second when I see a team hand a rag-arm a $100Mill+ contract and then all of a sudden it's all on him to look like he deserved that money because all of a sudden he doesn't have an All-Pro at every skill position, because then I compare the results of what our ROOKIE QB has to throw to and what his record is.

I was watching NFL Net and there was the usual banter among the announcers and someone said,"How could we all have been so wrong about the Jets?" and then Deion Sanders said (and I agree),"We weren't wrong about the Jets, we all thought Mark Sanchez was going to start, one thing I can say about Geno Smith, he can streeeeeeetch the field, Sanchez can't".

Sanchez starts the first 9 games, throwing to the same hot dog vendors and parking lot guys...Jets are 1-8 at best, and all the "experts" are proven correct, and then we hear whatever apologists Sanchez has left say,"But look at who he has to throw to"....not that big a deal for Geno.
    You are giving Geno way to much credit, this team is basically the same as the 09 team, the defense might be better. We have a real OC and QB coach this time around, and the next Joe Montana has double the INT's to TD pass's ?

We could easily be
    3 -6 and the vibe would be completly different. We beat the Saints with Defense and a good running game. Sorry I am not sold on Wonder boy Geno just yet. There are 5 or 6 QB's in next years draft that will bettter than him. Lets see how the rest of this year turns out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're trying to provoke a reaction then keep using words like, "he's a joke", or "because he sucks". I'm not sure why people get upset when no one takes them seriously, when they use reactionary, or absolute terms.

Most teams don't want to sign journeymen with limited upside. That's how we got a player like Nelson off the street. Salas we got because Marty liked him enough to stash him on the active roster before he was healthy. These are not exactly hot dog venders. Braylon may or may not be in the same situation. If he's healthy, and has anything left no one would know. Not even genius GM could know unless he sees him play. He very well may not, but none of you know that. Hill is what he is. A talented athlete that is a little awkward, and unpolished. He hasn't dropped any passes so far this year however, but he can't be relied upon to win a battle for the ball so he needs to be open. For that he needs a #1 receiver on the other side. He does have his place on the team though.

It's true that Sanchez played well in some playoff games, but if he had played better during the season we wouldn't have had to play the wildcard game, and wouldn't have had to win 3 road games to reach the SB. It's also true that he had lousy coaches, but he never had Geno's skills. He never had Geno's composure, and maturity, and the coaches didn't make him crumble into the scared little girl we saw last year. Remember adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shottenheimer is one of the worst OC's in the NFL...no doubt, but Sanchez actually did miss on some key throws even in his play-off wins. Threw for Under 200 yards in 3 of the 4 wins and hit some throws you would expect any NFL QB to make, not trying to re-write history.

The thing is, and it fooled me too, was that Sanchez was so bad, that whenever you would see him make a nice throw (which he would miss if you asked him to make the same exact throw and give him 19 more tries), you would say to yourself.."There, he has turned the corner, now we're going to see why this guy was drafted #5"...and then he'd just make you suffer watching him some more. So when he didn't mess up too much and the team was able to win a big game, you were left with a good feeling.

Also, the fact that the Jet Offense had to face 8 in the Box for virtually Sanchez' entire career is not on Shottenheimer, even if Shottenheimer was Geno's OC right now, or even Matt Simms for that matter, Defenses could never cheat like that. That was a direct indictment on the skill level of the QB.
    Two good counterpoints. You're right, it was the Sanchez/Shotty duo that was deadly (or should I say dead end-ly)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    8 in the box is not only on the qb it is on the offensive cordinator to spread Schotty just flat out sucked. He has killed more careers then polio killed kids

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are giving Geno way to much credit, this team is basically the same as the 09 team, the defense might be better. We have a real OC and QB coach this time around, and the next Joe Montana has double the INT's to TD pass's ?

We could easily be
    3 -6 and the vibe would be completly different. We beat the Saints with Defense and a good running game. Sorry I am not sold on Wonder boy Geno just yet. There are 5 or 6 QB's in next years draft that will bettter than him. Lets see how the rest of this year turns out.
    Fair point but with Mark we would CERTAINLY be 3 and 6 with some luck.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised we don't pluck Spadola from the fins practice squad. Not saying hes great but he at least knows the playbook and has the skills for the slot.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is better than Hill and Gates, Edwards made a catch in preseason that both of those could only dream of catching. Hill is awful, Why is he still on this team ?
    I remember that catch--near the knees and he stayed upright and kept going--he was cut after that game--weird

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loving every second when I see a team hand a rag-arm a $100Mill+ contract and then all of a sudden it's all on him to look like he deserved that money because all of a sudden he doesn't have an All-Pro at every skill position
    Chad Pennington says hi by the way

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    err Geno does have more talent then Sucky and a thick skin. I doubt what your are saying has any credibility. But we are all entitled to our opinions, in some cases unfortunately!
    Wait!

You SERIOUSLY BELIEVE that having Schitty-heimer as Geno's OC wouldn't have stunted his Development the way it did Mark's?

If Mark had MM from the beginning, somehow I think he would've fared a bit better....

But yes. It is rather "unfortunate" that I have my own opinion which you do not agree with.

It is also "unfortunate" that you need to act like an ass about it as well. BUT we are entitled to do *THAT*, too.

God Bless America.
    Last edited by Vin; 11-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If you're trying to provoke a reaction then keep using words like, "he's a joke", or "because he sucks". I'm not sure why people get upset when no one takes them seriously, when they use reactionary, or absolute terms.

Most teams don't want to sign journeymen with limited upside. That's how we got a player like Nelson off the street. Salas we got because Marty liked him enough to stash him on the active roster before he was healthy. These are not exactly hot dog venders. Braylon may or may not be in the same situation. If he's healthy, and has anything left no one would know. Not even genius GM could know unless he sees him play. He very well may not, but none of you know that. Hill is what he is. A talented athlete that is a little awkward, and unpolished. He hasn't dropped any passes so far this year however, but he can't be relied upon to win a battle for the ball so he needs to be open. For that he needs a #1 receiver on the other side. He does have his place on the team though.

It's true that Sanchez played well in some playoff games, but if he had played better during the season we wouldn't have had to play the wildcard game, and wouldn't have had to win 3 road games to reach the SB. It's also true that he had lousy coaches, but he never had Geno's skills. He never had Geno's composure, and maturity, and the coaches didn't make him crumble into the scared little girl we saw last year. Remember adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
    Again not sure I see all of Geno's talent, He has a strong arm and can run a little ( much like Browning Nagle) He went to WVU, I Don't remember them being great QB factory for the pros. If he has so much talent why did he fall into the second round ? Again we are winning with running game a good D, much like 09, I want to see Geno go on the road and win 4 Playoffs games. Who were the Pro Bowl weapons that Sanchez had ? There was no talent on last years roster and a lousy OC and QB coach. In my mind Geno is getting way to much credit, He has been a game manager as well. Lets see how it plays out.
    Last edited by mike309; 11-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolpeeJ View Post
    I'm surprised we don't pluck Spadola from the fins practice squad. Not saying hes great but he at least knows the playbook and has the skills for the slot.
    He is on their active roster now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    He is on their active roster now.
    They cut him last week when they signed Marlon Moore. I think he is currently a FA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez it has been a scrap-heap fiesta at the WR position for us this season. Hard to believe we are now going to bring in yet another guy who didn't start the season with the team. Hope Geno can remember all their names

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait!

You SERIOUSLY BELIEVE that having Schitty-heimer as Geno's OC wouldn't have stunted his Development the way it did Mark's?

If Mark had MM from the beginning, somehow I think he would've fared a bit better....

But yes. It is rather "unfortunate" that I have my own opinion which you do not agree with.

It is also "unfortunate" that you need to act like an ass about it as well. BUT we are entitled to do *THAT*, too.

God Bless America.
    Please try to respond like an adult! I know its hard for you but try. Geno is more talented then SANCHEZ. He could handle more adversity then your hero. If you need to act like a child, why not PM me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Great response. Mark did play like a scared girl last year and even an OC like MM could not fix his head problems. The man needs a change of scenery. The fan boys are getting their panties bunched up by thinking MM is a miracle worker and he could have made Mark into something he isn't: to wit an above average NFL QB.

I also agree about HILL not fighting for the ball. Hopefully with Holmes coming back, Hill just might play better starting with the Buffalo game.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-12-2013 at 05:00 PM.