Thread: Rex addresses not taking a knee vs. NO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Eh no Herm no foul
    fixed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Rex. I was one of the loudest critics on here of that butchering, but I totally accept him saying he screwed up. Happens.

Now let's get a cheat sheet or just hire someone to just sit in the booth and deal with only clock scenarios. Would be probably a relief for Rex to have that off his plate, as long as it's someone he trusts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, time to separate out the acknowledgement that it was a problem from any idea that because of the problem anyone here thinks that it is time to fire Rex.

It is not and yet these things are an issue.

Now if a leader is a big enough man to concede that these problems have occurred before and continue to occur four years into his tenure here then it is a pretty small step towards bringing in someone to close that "hole" in Rex's game. Close it before it costs us a result. It may mean bringing in a Dick Curl type (I doubt it) or it may simply mean empowering people on the sidelines or in the booth to call a "code red" or some such whenever Rex is having a brain fart...

We want the good parts of what Rex brings to the table and we want to know that there is a plan in place to address the bad parts.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Of all the issues with that - this is the most concerning. Isn't someone in his headset saying "Hey Rex, we can take a knee here!" As soon as the initial play call went in - someone should have screamed into the headphones immediately.

And it happened twice!
    Only thing I can think of is the assistants had already left the booth to go down to the locker room.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is a great conceptual thinker, his spatial reasoning is probably good, but when it comes to crunching absolute numbers he is bad.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    On why the team didn’t take a knee at the end of the New Orleans game…

lol.
    I love this.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know man...hard to complain after a win like that

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like playing so much madden growing up (lol sounds crazy) and watching so much football, I personally know more than most coaches when it comes to end of half and end of game clock management scenarios

It's not just a Rex Ryan thing, I see so many dumb decisions all of the time around the NFL

Hate to say it but Belichik is pretty spot on in these situations

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I feel like playing so much madden growing up (lol sounds crazy) and watching so much football, I personally know more than most coaches when it comes to end of half and end of game clock management scenarios

It's not just a Rex Ryan thing, I see so many dumb decisions all of the time around the NFL

Hate to say it but Belichik is pretty spot on in these situations
    In fairness, the head coach standing on the sideline isn't in a lounge chair, drinking a soft drink or a beer, with nothing else happening during commercials to distract him. Personnel, play calling, dumb penalties, bad officiating, lack of sleep, people talking to him on the headset, people talking to him in person. It's a bit more chaotic than the surroundings of your Xbox.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean, how do you not know to just take a knee? How do you introduce the chance of error in the most winnable situation in football? This just validates criticism that Rex is an awful decision maker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I mean, how do you not know to just take a knee? How do you introduce the chance of error in the most winnable situation in football? This just validates criticism that Rex is an awful decision maker.
    What's more interesting is that nobody talked him out of that. And of course we saw the Bucs do it last night as well

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Eh no harm no foul
    Seriously! WTF is wrong with people?!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's a bit too broad a conclusion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    What's more interesting is that nobody talked him out of that. And of course we saw the Bucs do it last night as well
    I assume you mean they did it right. Because they did it exactly right.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just think it shows that Rex is willing to admit a mistake and try to grow from it. I know the anti-Rex crowd will find it a reason to criticize... I think it's an example of Rex's desire and willingness to improve.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I just think it shows that Rex is willing to admit a mistake and try to grow from it. I know the anti-Rex crowd will find it a reason to criticize... I think it's an example of Rex's desire and willingness to improve.
    I'm not anti-Rex. I'm just anxious for the improvement. It's overdue.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    I'm not anti-Rex. I'm just anxious for the improvement. It's overdue.
    I wasn't saying you, specifically. Didn't mean to imply that. Sorry.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think that Rex shouldn't be asked to deal with this; we know what he's good at (coaching defense) and what he's not (coaching offense and clock management). At this point, it's unlikely that's going to change. The only reason we have Rex continuously flubbing these types of situation is because that's the way the NFL has always done it. There's no reason not to have someone on the sidelines dealing with things like challenges and clock management, except for the fact that no one has really done it before.

We've seen Rex's impulsive nature hurt the team with challenges this year (against Buffalo) and he's never been a good clock manager. I think he's a better than average NFL coach, but I think the best thing he could do would be to recognize his flaws in these areas and essentially outsource them; it's what he'd done with the offense, and I think the offense is better for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a bit too broad a conclusion.
    Not entirely. This isn't the lone reason why people criticize Rex, it just lends support to their criticism.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In fairness, the head coach standing on the sideline isn't in a lounge chair, drinking a soft drink or a beer, with nothing else happening during commercials to distract him. Personnel, play calling, dumb penalties, bad officiating, lack of sleep, people talking to him on the headset, people talking to him in person. It's a bit more chaotic than the surroundings of your Xbox.
    Fair enough....it's also part of their job though

Overall, teams are too by the book and not aggressive enough in end of game/half decisions

Not nearly as bad as coaches butchering timeouts though, especially with regards to the 2 minute warning

Atleast once a week I'm baffled just watching the end of a close game