Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superbowl III or XLVIII, which would be greater?

Superbowl III or XLVIII, which would be greater?

If by some longshot chance the Jets should actually make the Superbowl and win it this year, how would Superbowl XLVIII stack up against Superbowl III in Jets history? Remember the Jets were given ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of even making the playoffs this year before the season started. Hell, the Jets weren't even supposed to be 8-8!

If the Jets actually win the Superbowl this year, would it be greater than Superbowl III or is there nothing that can touch Superbowl III in Jets history?

I know its just a fun question and all but that would be the dumbest argument ever. Comparing two teams from over 40 years apart.

Rookie
    Ummmm, Are the Jets already 8-8 and I missed something?

Hall Of Fame
    Wasn't around for III so XLVIII would be greater for me. But if you are talking about it from a historical perspective then the choice is III, easily. SB III was arguably the most important game in NFL history. One of the most iconic games in the history of American sports.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    No, they are 5-4.

+1
    I would love to be the first home team to win it though

This one would mean the most to me because I would witness it.

In before the "we have to take it one game at a time" and the I'm too realistic to let myself think about something that may make me happy even if there's only a remote chance of it happening crowds.

Because you know, to them, if fans don't take it one game at a time, it may affect the players playing on the field and cause their preparation to to suffer.

Anyway, this would be epic...for me. Cuz I'm going to the game, and because I love this team, and because I enjoy hating all the haters, and this would be the ultimate haterade for all the Jets haters and media...clowns....

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

I agree that it's a pretty pointless question, but I am curious how those who rooted for the team back then feel.

As the first few posts show, most of us weren't even born yet (or too young to remember it). I'm sure every SB is "special", but how would you rank witnessing a turning point in NFL history to getting a SB (especially a win) in your own building?

From a fan's perspective of course . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    If by some longshot chance the Jets should actually make the Superbowl and win it this year, how would Superbowl XLVIII stack up against Superbowl III in Jets history? Remember the Jets were given ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of even making the playoffs this year before the season started. Hell, the Jets weren't even supposed to be 8-8!

If the Jets actually win the Superbowl this year, would it be greater than Superbowl III or is there nothing that can touch Superbowl III in Jets history?
    PLease tell me that you have something better to do. I was about to start a thread asking if we won 4 SBs in a row, would REXvkeep his job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    I know its just a fun question and all but that would be the dumbest argument ever. rt.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    In before the "we have to take it one game at a time" and the I'm too realistic to let myself think about something that may make me happy even if there's only a remote chance of it happening crowds.

Because you know, to them, if fans don't take it one game at a time, it may affect the players playing on the field and cause their preparation to to suffer.

Anyway, this would be epic...for me. Cuz I'm going to the game, and because I love this team, and because I enjoy hating all the haters, and this would be the ultimate haterade for all the Jets haters and media...clowns....
    Lot of truth here... Especially about the frightened turtle Jets fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    +1
    I would love to be the first home team to win it though
    Yep. That right there would make it epic.

Plus I can only imagine the things Rex would say if he were to win a superbowl AND win it in NY. Would be the press conference ever.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Yeah, you missed his whole point. Shocking

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wasn't around for III so XLVIII would be greater for me. But if you are talking about it from a historical perspective then the choice is III, easily. SB III was arguably the most important game in NFL history. One of the most iconic games in the history of American sports.
    Plus nothing like your first and you can only have your first once

The first one YOU witness will always be the best.

SB III as it announced to the league that the AFL was there for keeps and could play with the existing NFL teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    This one would mean the most to me because I would witness it.
    Same here.
    As happy as I was in Boston when the Giants beat the Pasts* the first time I can't even imagine what it would be like if the Jets won.

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    SB III as it announced to the league that the AFL was there for keeps and could play with the existing NFL teams.
    Most historically important, but I wasn't alive yet.