Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex addresses not taking a knee vs. NO

Hall Of Fame

Rex addresses not taking a knee vs. NO

On why the team didnít take a knee at the end of the New Orleans gameÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ryan
    I butchered it. I absolutely butchered it. Again, I know Iím dyslexic and all of that, but my math skills are usually better than that. But, it was something, kind of a gray area like where you can go (run it). I thought we had to run some time off and thatís what I did. Plus it was my brother, I was trying to get a couple extra yards against him (joking). Thatís really not the case. I butchered it, thereís no doubt. I did make sure whatever happens, make sure Geno followís him. You donít want to pull the old Herm Edwards, or Iíd be sitting in that chair. I did a poor job of that.
    lol.

"I was trying to get Ivory his PR against his former team"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Good - at least he admitted he made a mistake as opposed to coming up with some flawed reasoning as to why he did it. Hopefully he'll learn from it and not do it again.

But for all those people who thought there was some legitimate rationale to his decision, hopefully we can put that to rest.

Hall Of Fame
    I like the Herm line at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Good - at least he admitted he made a mistake as opposed to coming up with some flawed reasoning as to why he did it. Hopefully he'll learn from it and not do it again.

But for all those people who thought there was some legitimate rationale to his decision, hopefully we can put that to rest.
    Yup, it bothered me to no end. What made it worse was that he seemed to consult with MM prior to opting to run. If that is the case then we know why MM was fired and will never get another HEAD coaching job again.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Bring back the Curl!

dick_curl.jpg

But Geez.... a high school coach gets that right. Rex has some serious cerebral issues. GREAT motivator and football man. But he speaks with the intellect of a high school drop out.

I was however pleased to see him waive off questions about the Dolphins stating basically "I am not comfortable commenting on that matter".

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, it bothered me to no end. What made it worse was that he seemed to consult with MM prior to opting to run. If that is the case then we know why MM was fired and will never get another HEAD coaching job again.
    Well Marty did opt to kick off when winning the coin toss in an overtime game when he was head coach....LOL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    Greg Schiano, for all of his flaws, exercised the end-game perfectly last night. Tampa Bay was a few seconds short of being able to run the clock out, and he had his guys waste those seconds by not taking a knee immediately on the snap.

I don't understand, for a guy like Rex Ryan, if you can't do that math in your head, why you wouldn't have a cheat sheet? A series of simple grids with number of downs, variations for the number of timeouts the opponent has, and how much time can be run off for each situation. Color coding it for "must run a play," or "must delay kneel down" wouldn't be hard. There just aren't that many variations.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Well Marty did opt to kick off when winning the coin toss in an overtime game when he was head coach....LOL.
    The fact that both MM, Rex, David Lee or whoever is on the headsets couldn't get that figured out is a bit concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    But Geez.... a high school coach gets that right. Rex has some serious cerebral issues. GREAT motivator and football man. But he speaks with the intellect of a high school drop out.

I was however pleased to see him waive off questions about the Dolphins stating basically "I am not comfortable commenting on that matter".
    Which is interesting, considering how good he is with the Xs and Os. You would think clock management would be easy for the guy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Greg Schiano, for all of his flaws, exercised the end-game perfectly last night. Tampa Bay was a few seconds short of being able to run the clock out, and he had his guys waste those seconds by not taking a knee immediately on the snap.

I don't understand, for a guy like Rex Ryan, if you can't do that math in your head, why you wouldn't have a cheat sheet? A series of simple grids with number of downs, variations for the number of timeouts the opponent has, and how much time can be run off for each situation. Color coding it for "must run a play," or "must delay kneel down" wouldn't be hard. There just aren't that many variations.
    Was thinking the same thing. He needs a red-yellow-green quick chart for ending games and related situations.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Which is interesting, considering how good he is with the Xs and Os. You would think clock management would be easy for the guy.
    Maybe Rex is like Rain Man who could tell you the square root of 2,354,567 but couldnt tell you what a cheeseburger costs.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Maybe Rex is like Rain Man who could tell you the square root of 2,354,567 but couldnt tell you what a cheeseburger costs.
    Rex Knows exactly what a cheese burger costs.

I think he has so many things to think about that the simple thing allude him at times.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

And at first I was thinking that he'd take a timeout with 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock. Instead, he took the delay of game (which meant nothing) milked the clock for that extra second, then called time out to talk to his rookie QB about exactly what he should do and then Glennon went in and did precisely what his coach told him to do.

I'm not going to make a bigger deal over it than it warrants, but hopefully Rex gets better at those small details. Even if kneel/don't kneel decision won't necessarily bite them, you never know when something unusual can come up and screw with you. He needs to be prepared for every contingency, both big and small.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    The fact that both MM, Rex, David Lee or whoever is on the headsets couldn't get that figured out is a bit concerning.
    Of all the issues with that - this is the most concerning. Isn't someone in his headset saying "Hey Rex, we can take a knee here!" As soon as the initial play call went in - someone should have screamed into the headphones immediately.

And it happened twice!

All League

What are you doing on Sunday?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The Jets need an Ernie Adams-savant type to put together a comprehensive list of scenarios and reduce them to a laminated sheet. Can't we find that guy?

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    The Jets need an Ernie Adams-savant type to put together a comprehensive list of scenarios and reduce them to a laminated sheet. Can't we find that guy?
    I'm guessing there's a large number of JI members who, with an NFL rulebook handy, could do it. It's simply not that hard. Just requires a modest focus, and some detail orientation to create footnotes for things like penalty runoffs and other slightly-out-of-phase happenings. Point being, there should be Jets staffers who can do it easily.