Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex addresses not taking a knee vs. NO

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I personally think that Rex shouldn't be asked to deal with this; we know what he's good at (coaching defense) and what he's not (coaching offense and clock management). At this point, it's unlikely that's going to change. The only reason we have Rex continuously flubbing these types of situation is because that's the way the NFL has always done it. There's no reason not to have someone on the sidelines dealing with things like challenges and clock management, except for the fact that no one has really done it before.

We've seen Rex's impulsive nature hurt the team with challenges this year (against Buffalo) and he's never been a good clock manager. I think he's a better than average NFL coach, but I think the best thing he could do would be to recognize his flaws in these areas and essentially outsource them; it's what he'd done with the offense, and I think the offense is better for it.
    I don't disagree....the real problem exists in this specific situation is that the cameras showed Rex consulting with MM right before the play leading us to the conclusion that he flubbed it too!!!

Maybe they were talking about something else completely, but 2 experienced coaches should intutively be able to figure this one out relatively easily. I'm sure they're managing dozens of things on the fly (and obviously Rex has forgotten more about football than I'll eve know), but with a staff of coaches like they have and interns and QC guys, this kind of thing shouldn't be left to a coach doing the math on a fly. There should be an IF ---> THEN chart around.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't disagree....the real problem exists in this specific situation is that the cameras showed Rex consulting with MM right before the play leading us to the conclusion that he flubbed it too!!!

Maybe they were talking about something else completely, but 2 experienced coaches should intutively be able to figure this one out relatively easily. I'm sure they're managing dozens of things on the fly (and obviously Rex has forgotten more about football than I'll eve know), but with a staff of coaches like they have and interns and QC guys, this kind of thing shouldn't be left to a coach doing the math on a fly. There should be an IF ---> THEN chart around.
    I would agree. And I don't think it makes a lot of sense, objectively, to say that just because someone is the head coach, they should be responsible for all of the duties that head coaches have traditionally been responsible for. I can't really think of a reason that having an independent expert to deal with stuff wouldn't be a good idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing thing is that this has never come back to bite us. Better lucky than good I suppose.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Amazing thing is that this has never come back to bite us. Better lucky than good I suppose.
    It happens very rarely ... but when it does it's remembered forever.

E.g. MM's kick off decision, the Herm fumble recovery etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Rex has some serious cerebral issues.
    Well, he IS dyslexic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Good - at least he admitted he made a mistake as opposed to coming up with some flawed reasoning as to why he did it. Hopefully he'll learn from it and not do it again.

But for all those people who thought there was some legitimate rationale to his decision, hopefully we can put that to rest.

I thought he did that because perhaps he wanted to see if they were paying attention instead of assuming he'd take a knee. I think Rex could've outsmarted himself there and was fortunate there was no fumble as a result.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I feel like playing so much madden growing up (lol sounds crazy) and watching so much football, I personally know more than most coaches when it comes to end of half and end of game clock management scenarios

It's not just a Rex Ryan thing, I see so many dumb decisions all of the time around the NFL

Hate to say it but Belichik is pretty spot on in these situations
    LMAO,

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen View Post
    Well, he IS dyslexic.
    Too funny, I put up a thread on this board highlighting this EXACT fact while trying to defend Rex from the idots bashing him on this board, and I was shamelessly attacked for it. It's hilarious that Rex comes out and admits it himself.

I accept the apologies from those who spout off, you know who you re.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It took me a second to realize he was talking about Herm Edwards from when he was a player and returned a fumble for a TD on a play like that and not as our coach, who was bad at clock management too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Too funny, I put up a thread on this board highlighting this EXACT fact while trying to defend Rex from the idots bashing him on this board, and I was shamelessly attacked for it. It's hilarious that Rex comes out and admits it himself.

Let's try to separate the group of posters who are inclined to bash Rex on this subject (myself included) from the much much smaller group who think that this flaw is grounds for termination of his contract.

Sometimes in their rush to defend Rex a certain group of posters (and you know who you are) appear to act as if the latter group is far larger than it really is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    It took me a second to realize he was talking about Herm Edwards from when he was a player and returned a fumble for a TD on a play like that and not as our coach, who was bad at clock management too.
    Herm was probably worse in terms of clock but that call is not a slam dunk.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Herm was probably worse in terms of clock but that call is not a slam dunk.
    Yeah it is a slam dunk. Rex's call was bad, but man Herm was all time bad with the clock at all points of the game. Anyway it is concerning that Rex screwed it up, but where were the other 50 coaches in the headset at that time? I mean, when Marty gets a request from Rex to run it why does he not say "hey Rex, we can kneel here ya know". I mean, SOMEONE has to speak up on that. Strategic timeouts and clock management are on the coach, but when it's time to kneel all the coaches should be aware and say something.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Yeah it is a slam dunk. Rex's call was bad, but man Herm was all time bad with the clock at all points of the game. Anyway it is concerning that Rex screwed it up, but where were the other 50 coaches in the headset at that time? I mean, when Marty gets a request from Rex to run it why does he not say "hey Rex, we can kneel here ya know". I mean, SOMEONE has to speak up on that. Strategic timeouts and clock management are on the coach, but when it's time to kneel all the coaches should be aware and say something.
    Rex has had plenty of clock/challenge/timeout management issues and it is not just this one. You may argue that is a question of degree and I would probably agree with you but let's not pretend they both do not have exactly the same kind of color blindness when it comes to this stuff because they do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has had plenty of clock/challenge/timeout management issues and it is not just this one. You may argue that is a question of degree and I would probably agree with you but let's not pretend they both do not have exactly the same kind of color blindness when it comes to this stuff because they do.
    Sorry, I may not have clarified what I meant. Yes, Rex is questionable and has been for a while. My point is Herm may have been the worst of all time. He was light years worse that Rex is, and like I said that's no ringing endoresement for Rex. I mean for god sakes how many DuhHerm avatars did we see with the flava flav clock? Rex hasn't quite earned THAT yet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we get rex a cell phone app that tells him when it's OK to take a knee?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Let's try to separate the group of posters who are inclined to bash Rex on this subject (myself included) from the much much smaller group who think that this flaw is grounds for termination of his contract.

Sometimes in their rush to defend Rex a certain group of posters (and you know who you are) appear to act as if the latter group is far larger than it really is.
    Ray, I'm not sure of the particular thread you are talking about but if you were specifically trying to defend Rex on this clock management issue, how are you owed an apology? If you were talking about defending Rex on a macro basis, its largely irrelevant because we are talking about this one issue.

Frankly, I don't really understand what your post is talking about other than demanding an apology from some group of posters. But, lets put it out in the open....do you admit that Rex flubbed this call? Can you be objective enough to admit that, putting aside whatever feelings you have for him and the Jets, in this particular instance, he fuked up? What say you?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Sorry, I may not have clarified what I meant. Yes, Rex is questionable and has been for a while. My point is Herm may have been the worst of all time. He was light years worse that Rex is, and like I said that's no ringing endoresement for Rex. I mean for god sakes how many DuhHerm avatars did we see with the flava flav clock? Rex hasn't quite earned THAT yet.
    LOL, I agree Herm was indeed worse Perhaps I embellished just a smidgen to try and make my point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I like the Herm line at the end.
    Yep i lied that also!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Well he's done it twice, hasn't he? Doesn't happen very often anyway. The odds are probably very low

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Well he's done it twice, hasn't he? Doesn't happen very often anyway. The odds are probably very low
    But....

There have been at least a couple of games where poor clock management has left us having to punt with too much time left on the clock and the other team has marched down the field either to tie, go ahead or ice the game on us. So yes, I am pretty confident that "leaks" like this one in Rex's game have already cost this team several results since Rex became HC.

Does another miracle in the Meadowlands have to take place before it is OK to point out this weakness?