Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 131

Thread: Ed Reed cut by Houston Texans (merged)

  1. #61
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the Pats could sign him and then Brady can kick in the nuts again

  2. #62
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Obviously most of you haven't seen him play this year. I've seen his film this year and he clearly has something left to offer. He's not what he was but he's far from done.

    2. He wasn't cut soley because of how he's played. He was released because he was critical of the team and there was no reason to keep a mouthy veteran on a 2-7 team. At this point Houston needs to see the young guys play.

    Put a claim in for Reed for the stretch run and possibly the playoffs. There is 0 risk involved here. 0!

  3. #63
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think he is worth a shot because he knows Rex's D and has played well in it.
    May not be an Pro Bowler any longer but he comes cheap and may provide veteran leadership on our young D.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetMex View Post
    Donīt know about this one...
    article meanings nothing. Guys with Hip & knee problems on a 2-7 team look different on playoff contenders with coaches & a system they love. LT looked different when he came here and a new fresh start, Jason Taylor even looked good here vs the Redskins, even Trevor Pryce when he came here mid-season did better than anyone thought. I can make a ton of mentions on other teams where a guy looked washed up, too old, too hurt and goes to another team and just balls. Its worth bringing him in ... and he loves Rex. Worst case we can let him heal for a couple of weeks and keep him fresh for the end of the season. He'll show up when you need him most ... he's clucth.

  5. #65
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Ed Reed goes on waivers. A team claiming him would owe him $412,000 plus $62,500 for each game he's active, via http://ESPNBoston.com .

  6. #66
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    1. Obviously most of you haven't seen him play this year. I've seen his film this year and he clearly has something left to offer. He's not what he was but he's far from done.

    2. He wasn't cut soley because of how he's played. He was released because he was critical of the team and there was no reason to keep a mouthy veteran on a 2-7 team. At this point Houston needs to see the young guys play.

    Put a claim in for Reed for the stretch run and possibly the playoffs. There is 0 risk involved here. 0!
    We are young at safety and our secondary has struggled: Check
    Knows our system: Check
    Playmaker: Check
    Rex Loves him: Check
    Ed Reed wants to play for a contender and we are currently in as a wild card: Check
    Would come really cheap, which is something Idzik loves: Check
    Ed Reed could get a chance to kick Brady in the knees if teams meet in playoffs: Check
    Ed Reed get to knock ravens out of playoffs in a few weeks: Check
    Can still play at relatively high level: Undecided

    If Jets think he has ANYTHING left in the tank, its a no brainer signing for the Jets and the perfect fit for Ed Reed. While Reed is 35, plenty of safeties have played into their mid 30's.
    Last edited by revischrist; 11-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.

  7. #67
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The thing about Reed is that even though he might be at the end of it physically, he can still read a defense and use his mind. Also could be a great mentor to Allen and Milliner.
    EXCELLENT POINT.

    His ability to read defenses was his BREAD and BUTTER...

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    According to sources Ed Reed has been cut by the Houston Texans. I think if youre Rex you have to go take a look at this guy. He knows Rex's defense and can certainly help us out and rotate with Allen and Landry.
    NFW do we want Ed Reed. Past his prime, has been useless for the Texans, and has surfaced as a complete pain in the ass in the locker room. Old and slow is not a good recipe for the NFL. PASS 100X over.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    We are young at safety and our secondary has struggled: Check
    Knows our system: Check
    Playmaker: Check
    Rex Loves him: Check
    Ed Reed wants to play for a contender and we are currently in as a wild card: Check
    Would come really cheap, which is something Idzik loves: Check
    Ed Reed could get a chance to kick Brady in the knees if teams meet in playoffs: Check
    Ed Reed get to knock ravens out of playoffs in a few weeks: Check
    Can still play at relatively high level: Undecided

    If Jets think he has ANYTHING left in the tank, its a no brainer signing for the Jets and the perfect fit for Ed Reed. While Reed is 35, plenty of safeties have played into their mid 30's.
    Tank is empty. He has not contributed one iota to the Texans. Jets should not waste time with this stiff at this point in his career. You want a mentor - Landry is on the team.

  10. #70
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    1. Obviously most of you haven't seen him play this year. I've seen his film this year and he clearly has something left to offer. He's not what he was but he's far from done.

    2. He wasn't cut soley because of how he's played. He was released because he was critical of the team and there was no reason to keep a mouthy veteran on a 2-7 team. At this point Houston needs to see the young guys play.

    Put a claim in for Reed for the stretch run and possibly the playoffs. There is 0 risk involved here. 0!
    I've seen him play, he was demoted to second string and his play count has declined rapidly. He is not a shell of what he once was. His dumb ass statement at the end of this weeks game was nothing more than a nail in the coffin he was already lying in.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    NFW do we want Ed Reed. Past his prime, has been useless for the Texans, and has surfaced as a complete pain in the ass in the locker room. Old and slow is not a good recipe for the NFL. PASS 100X over.
    SERIOUSLY doubt any of this would apply with Ed Reed on a Rex Ryan team.
    He's probably praying Idzik calls him as we speak.

    Old and Slow... He's not crippled. and everybody said the same things about Kellen Winslow. How's that working out?

  12. #72
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    SERIOUSLY doubt any of this would apply with Ed Reed on a Rex Ryan team.
    He's probably praying Idzik calls him as we speak.

    Old and Slow... He's not crippled. and everybody said the same things about Kellen Winslow. How's that working out?
    You obviously do not watch every Texans game, I do. Trust me Reed is not worth the paper we would sign him on. Shiloh Keo was promoted over Reed to first string - there's a reason for that and came prior to his comments.

  13. #73
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    You obviously do not watch every Texans game, I do. Trust me Reed is not worth the paper we would sign him on. Shiloh Keo was promoted over Reed to first string - there's a reason for that and came prior to his comments.
    the reason for that is the Texans are not going to the playoffs and want to see what they have in their younger guys. A veteran rental does not make sense for them. Reed still has something left in the tank.

  14. #74
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    You obviously do not watch every Texans game, I do. Trust me Reed is not worth the paper we would sign him on. Shiloh Keo was promoted over Reed to first string - there's a reason for that and came prior to his comments.
    Have barely watched any of Texans at all.

    I can't imagine Idzik not at least taking a look tho. Nothing to lose by it.

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    the reason for that is the Texans are not going to the playoffs and want to see what they have in their younger guys. A veteran rental does not make sense for them. Reed still has something left in the tank.
    That's not a Rex Ryan D either, which he thrives in.

  16. #76
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    the reason for that is the Texans are not going to the playoffs and want to see what they have in their younger guys. A veteran rental does not make sense for them. Reed still has something left in the tank.
    Really! They are willing to put in a guy that has made his contributions primarily on special teams so they can "see what he has"? You think the Texans were intent on tanking the season. That was not the case at all. He got demoted because he is only Ed Reed in name anymore. Not the same guy you were used to watching on the Ravens. Not even remotely.

  17. #77
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    Really! They are willing to put in a guy that has made his contributions primarily on special teams so they can "see what he has"? You think the Texans were intent on tanking the season. That was not the case at all. He got demoted because he is only Ed Reed in name anymore. Not the same guy you were used to watching on the Ravens. Not even remotely.
    Was he even playing a remotely similar Defense???

    Like Revis is playing the same D in Tamper?

  18. #78
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kirwan & Jim Miller are pretty much saying no gas left in his tank

  19. #79
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Have barely watched any of Texans at all.

    I can't imagine Idzik not at least taking a look tho. Nothing to lose by it.
    You haven't missed much not watching the Texans this year! The bright spot has been the play of Case Keenum - he looks legit. I will be very surprised if Idzik takes even a cursory look at Reed. There's enough tape of him this year to make a very quick no go decision on that one.

  20. #80
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Ronnie Lott not available?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us