Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN.com: Fans name D-line 'The Sons of Anarchy'

Veteran

ESPN.com: Fans name D-line 'The Sons of Anarchy'

Wednesday, November 13, 2013
    Fans name D-line 'The Sons of Anarchy'
    By Mike Mazzeo

ny_jets_tripanel_jv_576x324.jpg

Fans are calling Jets D-linemen Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson and Damon Harrison the "Sons of Anarchy."

The New York Jets’ young and impressive defensive line -- composed of Muhammad Wilkerson, Damon Harrison and Sheldon Richardson -- is being called “The Sons of Anarchy.”

Where the nickname started, we’re not exactly certain. But we like it. And we’re looking to give credit to its creator.

During our brief research, we found the nickname on several message boards, the earliest dated Sept. 16, when someone with the handle “MetsJetsFTW” posted it on the fieldchatter.com.

The poster, who has to be a Jets fan given the NSFW slogan that appears under his handle, wrote: “Harrison, Richardson and Wilkerson all have names that end in ‘son,’ plus they’re all destructive beasts like the biker gang in the show. I’m suggesting that we call our D-line the Sons of Anarchy.”

On Twitter, someone with the handle @NYS_G tweeted to Deadspin that his friend @MANIMALJOICE created the nickname. He tweeted, “Hey @mowilkerSON, @BigDame900 and @Godforshort - How about this nickname for y’all? SONS OF ANARCHY - since all your names end with ‘Son’.” That tweet came on Sept. 23, though.

NYsportsGUY
    @NYS_G
    Follow

Hey @mowilkerSON, @BigDame900 and @Godforshort - How about this nickname for y'all? SONS OF ANARCHY - since all your names end with 'Son'.
    12:59 PM - 23 Sep 2013
    But perhaps the coolest thing we found was a yardbarker.com post on Sept. 18, which showed Jets coach Rex Ryan wearing a Sons of Anarchy T-shirt while posing for a photo with a fan.

Maybe Rex came up with the nickname. If not, we’re sure he’d approve.

Know anything more about the origins of the nickname? Let us known by either responding in the comments section or hitting me up on Twitter: @MazzESPN.

In the meantime, enjoy the havoc being caused by “The Sons of Anarchy” themselves.

The Jets currently rank first against the run, allowing just 73.8 yards per game and 3.1 yards per carry.

All three members -- or “-sons” -- of the trio are homegrown.

Wilkerson, 24, the team’s first-round pick in 2011 out of Temple, has 8.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. At this rate, he’s going to be Pro Bowl-bound.

Harrison, 24, joined the Jets as an undrafted free agent last season. The William Penn product has 32 tackles and a sack.

Richardson, 22, was drafted with the pick the Jets received in exchange for All-Pro Darrelle Revis. The No. 13 overall selection out of Missouri has 41 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 1 forced fumble.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We had like three or four threads on this, and no mention?

I guess that's more catchy than "Three Big Black Dudes Who Will Rip Your Arms Off And Beat You With 'Em".

All Pro
    Great.

Now I can complete my D-Line poster in photoshop

All League
    Charter JI Member

WTF is "fieldchatter"

Veteran
    a message board.

if sons of anarchy was mentioned on JI before sep. 16. they should let espn know and give credit to the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    WTF is "fieldchatter"

I believe someone on this board had "Coples & Sons" which I liked too, and it included Coples who has been a big part of this defensive line too.

All Pro
    I saw this name on one of the Jets groups I'm subscribed to on Facebook...they mocked up some wallpaper for it and everything, pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    a message board.

if sons of anarchy was mentioned on JI before sep. 16. they should let espn know and give credit to the poster.
    Exactly, I thought it happened here first. Bonhomme and other mods now would be a good time to do a forensics search to confirm the above or otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I believe someone on this board had "Coples & Sons" which I liked too, and it included Coples who has been a big part of this defensive line too.
    That was me, thanks for remembering

Appropriate and clever nickname. Well done to whomever coined it....

Hall Of Fame
    I specifically remember someone starting a thread coming up with that nickname before the season started.
    He was mocked pretty hard.
    Looks like it caught on! I kinda like it... But they must continue to create Anarchy for it to really stick.

Veteran
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013
    Jets approve of 'Sons of Anarchy' nickname
    By Matt Ehalt

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There are differing versions of how the New York Jets' trio of Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Damon "Snacks" Harrison found out that fans had dubbed them "Sons of Anarchy" for their dominating play and last names that all end in "son."

Richardson claims Harrison brought it up before a meeting started, eliciting laughter from the group. Harrison, meanwhile, believes it was the rookie who first showed his fellow defensive lineman on Twitter that the popular FX show had become a new moniker for the group.

No matter which version is true, one thing's certain: They like the nickname.

"It's pretty cool, I guess. It's fun. I'm OK with anything," Richardson said. "As long as they call me by my name, I'm cool with it."

Said Harrison: "Yeah, it's a cool name."

The Jets' defensive front has been as menacing as any in football this year. They are first in the NFL against the run, allowing just 73.8 yards per game, and have registered 27 sacks, tied for 11th in the league. The pressure from the defensive line has been a main reason why the Jets are playing defense the way coach Rex Ryan wants and expects his team to.

Since the nickname only references those three players, Wilkerson said it leaves out other key contributors on the defense, including current outside linebacker Quinton Coples, who switched from the defensive line to linebacker in the offseason. Wilkerson said while Coples may have switched positions, they know he's still a defensive lineman at heart.

Both Wilkerson and Harrison, while appreciating the fans' work, were quick to say they don't get too caught up in nicknames.

"It's cool -- I like it -- but we don't need a nickname," Wilkerson said. "We have to make a name for ourselves before we create a nickname."

Added Harrison: "I don't really get too much into it. The fans will be fans. They can come up with whatever name they want to. As for us, we don't really feed into it. We'll always just be the New York Jets defensive line. I encourage them to come up with their own names, to keep them interactive with us."

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    a message board.

First time I could find:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...=1#post4997995

Just one question, what was everyone calling the Jets D Line in Cincinnati?

This is a joke, really. Sons of Anarchy, whatever. Just win football games PLEASE

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Just one question, what was everyone calling the Jets D Line in Cincinnati?

This is a joke, really. Sons of Anarchy, whatever. Just win football games PLEASE
    They have.

KRL should get credit. He is the first person I remember calling them that.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I guess that's more catchy than "Three Big Black Dudes Who Will Rip Your Arms Off And Beat You With 'Em".
    I actually like yours more.
    Not a fan of the show or biker gangs so....

Stupid. These guys are model citizens. There is badass in doing the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQoT0sMFxjw

I've never been a huge fan of the name, i get the idea of it, but i think it leaves out a lot of the guys that are on that unit and goes against the idea that the D line is not just the starters. Where do ellis, douzable, and even coples factor into this? Only reason I've never been a huge fan of the name.