Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103

Thread: Could Sanchez Pull an Alex Smith and take a...

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Could Sanchez Pull an Alex Smith and take a...

    ...PAY CUT???

    Back in 2009 Alex Smith was going into the 5th year of a his bloated rookie contract, which was prior to the current CBA; it did not have the rookie scale. Up to that point, he had put up numbers that would make even Sanchez throw up in his mouth. In 4 years he completed just 54.6% of his passes, threw 19 TDs to 31 INTs and started roughly half the games due of injury or poor play. Like Sanchez it was a far gone conclusion that the 49ers would cut Smith as he was set to make approximately 10M the upcoming season, an amount not commensurate with his play up to date. However, a funny thing happened on the way to the guillotine. Rather than starting over with a new team, Smith restructured his contract and sharply reduced his base salary. In short, he took a massive pay cut. All he asked and was given in return was the "opportunity to compete" for the QB1 spot. In hindsight, this deal turned out great for both parties.

    Maybe, I've missed it but I yet to see this scenario discussed anywhere. I see this as a very possible outcome with Sanchez and the Jets when you look at it from both sides. Here are some reasons I thought off below.

    Sanchez
    1. He loves MM, Lee and the WCO.
    2. It's a competition he could win.
    3. Where else is he going to find a team with a good defense and running game and that's young?
    4. He would have the chance to dish out a WHOLE lot of crow if he were to turn his career around here.

    Jets
    1. At worst Sanchez we have a viable veteran back-up that's PROVEN he can win with a good defense and running game at a reasonable price.
    2. We he will be a good teammate and not a malcontent.
    3. We prove that the "competition" mantra is not just lip service.
    4. We have played ourselves out of contention for a bluechip QB prospect in 2014 and we are still not completely sold on Geno.
    5. Maybe we can flip Sanchez into a draft pick in a couple years like the 49ers did.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like
    St. Louis.

  3. #3
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    St. Louis.
    Good point. But put yourself in Sanchez's shoes, would you want ****ty as your OC versus MM? And do you think you have a better shot at beating out Bradford or Geno?

  4. #4
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go F^ yourself. Sanchez lover.

  5. #5
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    Go F^ yourself. Sanchez lover.
    LOL

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    FUKK Sanchez. I do not want him here..at all.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets could trade Sanchez in the offseason because his salary is no longer guaranteed, but they have little leverage because everyone knows he will be cut. As far as your notion that Sanchez could become Alex Smith with the Jets, that is beyond ridiculous. For that to happen he would have to start again and that is something I do not see happening. Mark is done as a Jet, and rightfully so. Time for any of the last few Sanchez lovers to deal with reality.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Geno extrapolates his current play out the rest of the season, I don't see Sanchez having any opportunity to compete here. He had the opp this past offseason because Geno was a rookie (and injured) and the Jets could hang their hat on Sanchez winning and Geno learning from the sideline for the year. No way they go back to wide open competition this offseason and potentially bench Geno after what looks to be a 'solid' rookie campaign.

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having Sanchez around at any price will only be a distraction. He is done here.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Having Sanchez around at any price will only be a distraction. He is done here.
    This

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Good point. But put yourself in Sanchez's shoes, would you want ****ty as your OC versus MM? And do you think you have a better shot at beating out Bradford or Geno?
    A system that I'd had a chance to thrive in at times vs coming back for an 11mm paycut? Yes, i'd take STL with a strong young defense, the chance to actually compete, and make some coin.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I would like to see Sanchez do that is similar to Alex Smith is play for a team other than the NY Jets.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    The only thing I would like to see Sanchez do that is similar to Alex Smith is play for a team other than the NY Jets.
    Lol, roasted.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha! This is the funniest thread I have seen in a while thank you legler no Sanchez will not be asked to take a pay cut he won't even be offered the #2 even if he offered to cut his salary by 90%. We need a reliable vet to back up geno.. Sorry, mark is gone, long gone in ny. Maybe he can find a backup spot somewhere, if not #2 a #3..

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alex Smith sucks.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    8,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adios Markus and take your odoriferous butt-fumble legacy with ya!

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    how many dancing ass videos does sanchez have to make before you get the message?

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez is done here.

    Period

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    918
    Post Thanks / Like
    People still want Sanchez on the jets? Wow.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    ...PAY CUT???

    Back in 2009 Alex Smith was going into the 5th year of a his bloated rookie contract, which was prior to the current CBA; it did not have the rookie scale. Up to that point, he had put up numbers that would make even Sanchez throw up in his mouth. In 4 years he completed just 54.6% of his passes, threw 19 TDs to 31 INTs and started roughly half the games due of injury or poor play. Like Sanchez it was a far gone conclusion that the 49ers would cut Smith as he was set to make approximately 10M the upcoming season, an amount not commensurate with his play up to date. However, a funny thing happened on the way to the guillotine. Rather than starting over with a new team, Smith restructured his contract and sharply reduced his base salary. In short, he took a massive pay cut. All he asked and was given in return was the "opportunity to compete" for the QB1 spot. In hindsight, this deal turned out great for both parties.

    Maybe, I've missed it but I yet to see this scenario discussed anywhere. I see this as a very possible outcome with Sanchez and the Jets when you look at it from both sides. Here are some reasons I thought off below.

    Sanchez
    1. He loves MM, Lee and the WCO.
    2. It's a competition he could win.
    3. Where else is he going to find a team with a good defense and running game and that's young?
    4. He would have the chance to dish out a WHOLE lot of crow if he were to turn his career around here.

    Jets
    1. At worst Sanchez we have a viable veteran back-up that's PROVEN he can win with a good defense and running game at a reasonable price.
    2. We he will be a good teammate and not a malcontent.
    3. We prove that the "competition" mantra is not just lip service.
    4. We have played ourselves out of contention for a bluechip QB prospect in 2014 and we are still not completely sold on Geno.
    5. Maybe we can flip Sanchez into a draft pick in a couple years like the 49ers did.

    Thoughts?
    Unless Geno gets hurt there is no chance Sanchez can beat out Geno!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us