Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign Ed Reed - it's official (merged Reed)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He should be a help in the locker room, shouldn't be any downside with this signing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All League
    Charter JI Member

My only concern with this move is whether Rex will be able to ability to separate his emotions from his decision making.

I like the pick up of Reed as a veteran leader, a mentor and a complimentary player.

But Rex is fueled by his emotions.

I don't want to see Reed thrown out into situations he shouldn't be in because Rex still loves Ed Reed the player circa 2008.

Well, looking at it from the most basic standpoint and one would think it's a pretty good thing. We are the best defense in the league against the run, our only weakness on defense being against the pass. Adding a guy who's strength is defending the pass can only help. Reed makes plays (much like Polamalu) by making educated guesses and jumping routes.

The trick here will be how Rex integrates him within the secondary because you are talking about 2 decent safeties in Landry and Allen. Allen of which who's growing big time. Secondary is all about communication so REed is going to have to start sparingly, with calls that won't involve much change.

REx is undoubtedly a genius when it comes to defense though so I feel good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    My only concern with this move is whether Rex will be able to ability to separate his emotions from his decision making.

I like the pick up of Reed as a veteran leader, a mentor and a complimentary player.

I don't want to see Reed thrown out into situations he shouldn't be in because Rex still loves Ed Reed the player circa 2008.

Wouldn't worry about that. REx has let go of plenty of players who everyone knows he loves. Leonhard, Trevor Pryce, and Bart Scott. If he can make the tough decision on those players, he can do it with others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    are you ever right?
    Basically he said Idzik won't have any of it because Rex has no say with him, whereas he did with Tanny.

IF Reed fails here, I can't wait to see how he spins it to still make it Rex's fault.

All League
    The first time Reed hits the field on Sunday will spin Manuel's head around. He won't know what he's looking
    at because there is no film for what Rex will do with him

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Good bye Ricky Sapp.
    Oh NO

Two words: Bart Scott

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Basically he said Idzik won't have any of it because Rex has no say with him, whereas he did with Tanny.

IF Reed fails here, I can't wait to see how he spins it to still make it Rex's fault.
    If Reed fails, its no different than if any other random FA is signed and fails. Only Jets fans and the media will turn it into a Tebow bust story.

Ed reed is the greatest safety of all tjme and we got him for nothing. His sheer presence on the field will make the defense better automatically.

Great move by idzik. If this continues, jets may no longer be a circus after all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Hate it or love it...players LOVE playing for Rex Ryan.
    One more dump on the moronic SARS of the world who claimed otherwise while looking for reasons to dump Rex.

Bryan Thomas was taken 1 spot ahead of Ed Reed in 2002, so welcome to the Jets, 11 years late.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
    Ed reed is the greatest safety of all tjme and we got him for nothing. His sheer presence on the field will make the defense better automatically.

Great move by idzik. If this continues, jets may no longer be a circus after all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is another Thing... his presence alone will have an Impact in Terms of intimidation. You think guys like Tannehill, E.J. Manuel or whoever Cleveland will start against us won't look twice when they see Ed Reed in Center field on third and Long?! Yeah right...

The most important Thing for me though is his leadership. Our Young guys will look at one of the greatest safeties of all time, a guy they played in Madden as Kids, a surefire hall of famer, a national Champion in college, a Super Bowl Champion... and every Minute they spend with this kid in the locker and on the practice field will help them going Forward. They will see how he studies, how he prepares, pick his mind and they will use it to their Advantage in the future.

As a Player I think he is not more than a rotational Player you bring in for obvious passing situations but as a Mentor he will be extremely valuable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not sure if posted, he's already at practice

Jets Insider VIP
    If we didn't pick him up the Pats were ready to pick him up. Even a part time role will help our secondary.

Veteran
    not so much love for reed to the jets:

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/11/14/ed-...timore-ravens/

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Cristina Del Basso AWESOME!!!!!
    I wish she worked at Mazzy's!

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    not so much love for reed to the jets:

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/11/14/ed-...timore-ravens/
    Just curious, but were these the same people that said the jets would be lucky to win 4 games this year and the ones that had us ranked dead last in the NFL? Just curious how often the "experts" can be wrong before they can no longer be considered "experts."

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He benched Sanchez, benched and then dumped Scott, led Leonhard go......not a problem