Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign Ed Reed - it's official (merged Reed)

Jets Insider VIP
    Idzik is too smart to fall for this. Rex could push tanny around but not idzik. We have some safeties we need to evaluate to see if we need to address the position in next years draft. Idzik is not making shortsighted moves.

I think we will be a team to put a claim in on him and I dont expect many teams below us that are out of contention to bring him in. teams with bad records 3-6 or worse know that hes not gonna be happy to play for them and not help enough to put them in the playoffs so the only team that I think may put in a claim and could get him before us would be the Cowboys. Somehow I think theres something going on behind the scenes here to get Reed in Jets green. and I absolutely love the move. There is zero downside to this

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Well if Rex still thinks Reed can contribute who am I to argue?
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    What's the downside? Minimal salary, obvious experience to be shared with the young safeties, adds a little depth at the back end of the rotation. You could have worse people tutoring these kids.
    I'm with you here,there's a lot to be said about lockerroom leadership and perhaps Reed can provide a bit of that at this stage.apparently we really missed guys like Woody and Tony Richardson as much for their presence it he lockerroom as on he field.If he provides a little bit of help in the rotation how much harm can he do?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Idzik is too smart to fall for this. Rex could push tanny around but not idzik. We have some safeties we need to evaluate to see if we need to address the position in next years draft. Idzik is not making shortsighted moves.
    Rex didn't push Tanny around... Stop believing the conspiracy bull****. Tanny had final say on personnel decisions and now Idzik does. Of course there is going to be some difference on how things are built.

It's funny though that people love to trash Tanny when he was the GM during a time this franchise was its most successful.

Name me ONE downside to bringing him in as a role player. Bush has barley even seen the field and Reed under Rex can possibly regain the "fire".

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't care if he's lost a step, he'd still instantly become the best cover safety we have as soon as he walks in the door.

He's like an extra coach on the field, knows this defense like the back of his hand, has a great relationship with Rex, and still has a knack for making the big play.

Oh yeah, and he's cheap.

Don't see the downside here.
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    From today's press conference:

Darryl Slater ‏@DarrylSlater 3m
    Rex Ryan said "it's safe to say, yes" when asked if he had a conversation with John Idzik about Ed Reed.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 6m
    Rex asked directly if he wants Ed Reed on the team and he just pauses with no answer.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 7m
    Rex on Ed Reed: "We're going to look at any player out there that we think can help us." #nyj
    Sounds like Rex wants his boy back. I'm not really in favor of signing Reed, but if the Jets get him it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. Low risk/High reward.

Hall Of Fame
    15 minutes till the deadline to claim Reed off waivers. We will know soon.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Make it happen Tanny
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Any idea where we are in line? Or whose infront of us for safety waivers?

All Pro
    Dude shut up! If Reed puts on Green and White this season it will be because IDZIK feels he can contribute to the team in some way. Rex may put in his 2 cents but the decision is Idzik's.....and he will do whatever HE wants to do.

Veteran
    the waiver deadline is 4:00 PM today. whoever picks up reed picks up the remainder of his salary this season which is about $400K. after that he's free to sign with whoever he wants. the question is if he's downsized, will reed accept whatever role rex has for him. if not could it turn into a derrick mason situation?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Any idea where we are in line? Or whose infront of us for safety waivers?
    No idea what the waiver priority was this week, also depends on if other teams have put in claims on other players this week as well.

Reed is better than Josh Bush.

No idea what the waiver priority was this week, also depends on if other teams have put in claims on other players this week as well.
    Ok thanks, I'm sure the Pats are ahead of us lol.

All Pro
    If he clears waivers, where do you think he will go? I think Idzik is putting on his tire kicking shoes as we speak.

Beyond dumb, enough with your TMZ conspiracy theories, they are complete crap.

Rex will evaluate, and he will make his pitch, Idzik will have his view, they will come to an agreement, it is never about Rex pushing Idzik or vice versa.

And btw, Reed playing again for Rex, could also wind up in a better performing Reed, he will be charged to play for Rex again, even if it is in a part time role and part of the rotation at S.

There will be no locker room issue. I could see Reed rotating with Landry some too.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 11-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.

You upset the locker room but doing things such as this... It's not a video game here. You bring in a guy like that and everything changes. Houston realized this and decided it wasn't worth it. Especially because his ability has fallen off so much.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Ok thanks, I'm sure the Pats are ahead of us lol.
    They have a better record, they shouldnt be in front of us unless Idzik put a claim in for another player this week, which I do not believe they have. If it is between the Jets and Pats, Jets have the higher priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Beyond dumb, enough with your TMZ conspiracy theories, they are complete crap.

Rex will evaluate, and he will make his pitch, Idzik will have his view, they will come to an agreement, it is never about Rex pushing Idzik or vice versa.
    Fine...but he pushed Tanny around IMO. Rex is not a great evaluator of long term talent. Idzik is perfect in this position.