Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign Ed Reed - it's official (merged Reed)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This young defense is starting to find its own. New leaders are likely stepping up.

Bringing in an old legend mid-season can be devastating to a young teams chemistry.

It's not worth it and I'm glad our GM saw it that way too
    For a half a season Reed really won't be devastating to the chemistry. That is over stating it a bit. I dont think any GM wanted to be on the hook for the million+ bucks guaranteed he would have cost. Signing him to a prorated vet min deal is much more attractive.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    I hear Rex Ryan already in the process of reaching out to Reed, while I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Brady tried to recruit him some, too

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This young defense is starting to find its own. New leaders are likely stepping up.

Bringing in an old legend mid-season can be devastating to a young teams chemistry.

It's not worth it and I'm glad our GM saw it that way too
    I bet half of this 'young' secondary doesn't make it back on the team next year

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    For a half a season Reed really won't be devastating to the chemistry. That is over stating it a bit. I dont think any GM wanted to be on the hook for the million+ bucks guaranteed he would have cost. Signing him to a prorated vet min deal is much more attractive.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    I hear Rex Ryan already in the process of reaching out to Reed, while I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Brady tried to recruit him some, too
    Sorry I kicked you in the balls, man. Come play with me?

Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    He wasn't claimed because that team would have taken his vested options and had to pay him more.
    But he was worth it to Houston when he signed on the line. Now he's apparently not worth it to anyone. Why?

It's possible that it's become apparent -- to the world's highest paid football minds -- that Ed Reed still believes he's awesome at football, when in fact he's not very awesome at all. Which is a bad combination.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Sorry I kicked you in the balls, man. Come play with me?
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by twown View Post
    But he was worth it to Houston when he signed on the line. Now he's apparently not worth it to anyone. Why?

It's possible that it's become apparent -- to the world's highest paid football minds -- that Ed Reed still believes he's awesome at football, when in fact he's not very awesome at all. Which is a bad combination.
    youre missing the point here. If a team doesnt have to pay him and the Texans can be on the hook for the contract then why would they put a claim in to pay a guy more money. Just let this one play out. If Rex wants this guy on the team then I am absolutely all for it. And for those that are saying our secondary's chemistry would get messed up Im pretty sure if you asked Josh Bush and Antonio Allen (2 very young, inxeperinced safeties) if they would like to have Ed Reed on the team as a mentor, coach and guy to go to, I dont think they would be against it.

I think and am sorry to say that he is going to go to NE. He wants a ring and combine that with Belichick's zeal for him and he's going north

youre missing the point here. If a team doesnt have to pay him and the Texans can be on the hook for the contract then why would they put a claim in to pay a guy more money. Just let this one play out. If Rex wants this guy on the team then I am absolutely all for it. And for those that are saying our secondary's chemistry would get messed up Im pretty sure if you asked Josh Bush and Antonio Allen (2 very young, inxeperinced safeties) if they would like to have Ed Reed on the team as a mentor, coach and guy to go to, I dont think they would be against it.
    of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think and am sorry to say that he is going to go to NE. He wants a ring and combine that with Belichick's zeal for him and he's going north
    didn't he just got a ring last year?

its not like he don't have it

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    He won a ring last year. Obviously all players want a ring and Im sure he would like another but I (would like to) think he would favor a reunion with Rex's Defense over Belicheck. Also whos to say that we dont have a shot at making a run either? Were in the thick of the playoff contention and have shown we can beat the Patriots and other "great" teams.

youre missing the point here. If a team doesnt have to pay him and the Texans can be on the hook for the contract then why would they put a claim in to pay a guy more money.
    umm... to make sure they get him instead of some other team?? That's why waivers exist. That's why they go to the trouble of establishing a set of rules for waivers. If you're COMPLETELY sure that no other team wants him, then by all means, let him clear waivers and try to negotiate a better deal.

And if you're COMPLETELY sure that no other team wants him, you're definitely dealing with a high quality player.

edit: I understand there's a lot of gray area here. I understand that a team may not want to pay a premium for Reed, but might at the same time be interested in a cheaper rate, at the risk of seeing him go elsewhere. I'm basically playing devil's advocate for those who were claiming there's "no downside."

Can anyone remember an established star player being outright released mid-season and then actually playing a beneficial role on another team that year? I'm just curious.
    Last edited by twown; 11-13-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

He's going to ruin our season by poisoning our lockerroom, lol, talk about grasping at straws. Our chances of making the playoffs could come down to a play or two, is it really so far fetched that Reed could fool someone like Tannehill for a pick-6 or make another big play that could help us?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    What's the downside? Minimal salary, obvious experience to be shared with the young safeties, adds a little depth at the back end of the rotation. You could have worse people tutoring these kids.
    The possible down side is losing a talented young player to make room for REED.

Quote Originally Posted by twown View Post
    umm... to make sure they get him instead of some other team?? That's why waivers exist. That's why they go to the trouble of establishing a set of rules for waivers. If you're COMPLETELY sure that no other team wants him, then by all means, let him clear waivers and try to negotiate a better deal.

And if you're COMPLETELY sure that no other team wants him, you're definitely dealing with a high quality player.

edit: I understand there's a lot of gray area here. I understand that a team may not want to pay a premium for Reed, but might at the same time be interested in a cheaper rate, at the risk of seeing him go elsewhere. I'm basically playing devil's advocate for those who were claiming there's "no downside."

Can anyone remember an established star player being outright released mid-season and then actually playing a beneficial role on another team that year? I'm just curious.
    his relationship to Rex and his defense is unique...i may be wrong and i'll sit on a tack if i am but its worth a look see...

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The possible down side is losing a talented young player to make room for REED.
    I didn't know Jaiquan Jarrett was that young?

Pick him up, he cleared waivers, we don't have to pay his salary, what's the downside?

Dude is a cagey vet, he could help out in coverage on nickel situations. Texans releasing him doesn't scare me, they have thrown in the towel and are playing for 2014. He isn't in their long-term plans and he spoke out against the coaching staff. They had no reason to keep him. I think this is a good move to make, at the very least, he can give us intel on the Ravens game next week

For the record, I would like Ed Reed to come here. I just think he would rather go to New England than New York

All Pro
    Just having him in the locker room with his leadership skills is a positive. You know Rex wants him, but our GM and owner obviously have the final say.

If you are a gambling player and lose a step it can be a big drop off. Having said that he has great instincts and is the type of player that makes other teams play for mistakes and QB pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Just having him in the locker room with his leadership skills is a positive.
    You and the Houston Texans are in stark disagreement. The difference is, the Houston Texans happen to own and operate a locker room.