Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign Ed Reed - it's official (merged Reed)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Which is only around $1 million.
    Minus what he has already been paid...thought I read somewhere it'd be like $400K for the rest of the season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I didn't know Jaiquan Jarrett was that young?
    Or that talented?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is certainly worrying that the Texans started rookie D.J. Swearinger (who has been up and down) and a lifelong Special teamer in Shiloh Keo over Reed. Of course Reed was injured to begin the season and he was a Little outspoken over the Texans' struggles too. I mean it is definitely a Situation you can look at but I would rather stick it out with the Young guys we have.

Always been a huge fan of Ed Reed though and it would be pretty sick to see him in green and White. His Veteran Input could be extremely valuable for the Young guys too. We'll see...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reed was due around $1.7 mil for rest of season. He wasn't claimed off waiver wire so he is now free to negotiate a contract with any team .

Pats could be a target as BB loves him some Ed Reed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    aint gonna happen, but would be cool to see ed reed and troy palamalu in pitt play together

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't care if he's lost a step, he'd still instantly become the best cover safety we have as soon as he walks in the door.

He's like an extra coach on the field, knows this defense like the back of his hand, has a great relationship with Rex, and still has a knack for making the big play.

Oh yeah, and he's cheap.

Don't see the downside here.
    In his prime when healthy, yes. But he has been unable to keep up with TE's this season. I think he is hurt

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No hurt in checking it out.

Bottom line: if he's gotta be talked into coming here....pass.

If he want to play his last half season of his career on a team with a tenacious defense for his old coach in a limited role and as a locker room leader who could try to impart his knowledge with players who are in the exact same situation as he was in his career when he started in the league and then parlay it into a positional coaching job down the line...sign em!

We only need players who want to play here. No stretches...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just checked out rex's press conference today on the the jets site and I'd say from his response to questions on ed reed that the jets are not going to go after him and it's also clear that Idzik is calling the shots on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    i just checked out rex's press conference today on the the jets site and I'd say from his response to questions on ed reed that the jets are not going to go after him and it's also clear that Idzik is calling the shots on this.
    Or perhaps Rex was just biting his tongue instead of going full-bore like he always does so it doesn't harm NEGOTIATIONS between Idzik, Reed, and his agent?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    At worst he can be a mentor to our young safeties....I don't see hoe signing him can be a bad thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If you are a gambling player and lose a step it can be a big drop off. Having said that he has great instincts and is the type of player that makes other teams play for mistakes and QB pressures.
    He is also not 100 per cent medically and which young player do we cut to sign this has-been?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Or perhaps Rex was just biting his tongue instead of going full-bore like he always does so it doesn't harm NEGOTIATIONS between Idzik, Reed, and his agent?
    You might be right.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013
    Rex would love Ed Reed, but ...
    By Rich Cimini

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan wants Ed Reed. The question is, does GM John Idzik?

The future Hall of Fame safety, released Tuesday by the Houston Texans, cleared waivers late Wednesday, meaning he's a free agent. Two hours before he hit the open market, Ryan -- in a roundabout way -- admitted interest in Reed, whom he once coached in Baltimore. Ryan acknowledged that he discussed Reed with his general manager.

"I could say absolutely, yes, I'd like him on our team," Ryan said.

He proceeded to list some of his retired players -- Brandon Moore, Alan Faneca, Trevor Pryce, Damien Woody -- mentioning them as players he'd still like on the team. It was Ryan's way of saying he can't have everything he wants. He also hinted that it's not his call, that Idzik is the boss, as if we didn't already know that.

Times have changed. Under former GM Mike Tannenbaum, Ryan probably had more input on personnel decisions.

"The big picture of right now, the current football team, I'm probably not the right guy to make all those decisions," Ryan said. "I think sometimes there's a comfort level in knowing guys, without question, guys that certainly played well for you. ... I'd like those guys, without question."

The takeaway from listening to Ryan: He's hot for Reed, but Idzik is pouring cold water on the idea. Yet, later in the day, CBSSports.com reported the Jets and New England Patriots are showing interest in Reed.

"I wouldn't be surprised if us or the Patriots picks him up," tight end Kellen Winslow said of his former University of Miami teammate.

Winslow raved about Reed, saying he'd like the Jets to sign him. Asked if Reed, 35, still can contribute, Winslow said, "Please. Are you kidding me? He's the best I've ever seen do it at safety. He's going to land somewhere and wreak havoc. I'd love to have him here. He's the ultimate leader. In our defense, he'd be able to gamble all he wants. He's a great asset, a smart player."

Ryan said he likes his current safety group, adding, "I tell you what, the one kid I think has a chance to be really good, and that's Antonio Allen." The Jets also have veteran Dawan Landry, who used to play alongside Reed in Baltimore.

"I don't think he'd be bad for the Jets," said former Washington Redskins GM Vinny Cerrato, who has studied Reed closely the past few years. "He played with Landry before. Rex has coached him and Rex has had success with older dudes, so he won't let him practice (too much). That's probably the best situation for him, there or New England. I think he'd want to play for those guys because he respects those coaches."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    here's the link from cbssports from the previous post: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...clears-waivers

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not interested unless he's dirt cheap. The younger guys need more playing time and he shouldn't take valuable playing experience away from them given this is probably his last season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a classy player with ball hawk skills. No downside imo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 18m
    The Jets are, in fact, showing interest in free-agent S Ed Reed, according to a league source. #Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A minor thing but we also play the Ravens in a few weeks...I would imagine he'd love to exact some measure of revenge on them as icing on the cake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No this is BAD Rex rearing his head. Reed is one of the biggest impact players the NFL has seen, but his days are done. Bad Rex cannot recognize that players get old and cannot do it anymore. We see this time and time again with Rex. We finally got him to play the young guys on the line and look at what they are doing. Antonio Allen is really developing. Don't short change that for a veteran that no longer can play at a high level.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex may have had his way with Mike T., but if for some reason, the Jets sign Reed, it will be Idzik's call; Rex may lobby for it, but Idzik will make the final decision. If he comes on and fails, Idzik will or should take the heat. If Reed comes on board, who do you release?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No this is BAD Rex rearing his head. Reed is one of the biggest impact players the NFL has seen, but his days are done. Bad Rex cannot recognize that players get old and cannot do it anymore. We see this time and time again with Rex. We finally got him to play the young guys on the line and look at what they are doing. Antonio Allen is really developing. Don't short change that for a veteran that no longer can play at a high level.
    Plus 10