Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign Ed Reed - it's official (merged Reed)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is this "bad Rex?" Was it bad Rex when we got Trevor Pryce? No, it helped the team. Obviously Allen is going to get playing time, Rex loves his man cover skills. In Nickel/dime situations, however, this team could use an Ed Reed on the back end. Let's by forget we've had trouble getting takeaways. Reed didn't fit Houston's rigid system but would do well with Rex.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet Reed would play differently for a contender than he would for a 2-7 team that has nothing to play for.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Not interested unless he's dirt cheap. The younger guys need more playing time and he shouldn't take valuable playing experience away from them given this is probably his last season.
    Isn't he dirt cheap? $1 million base salary, which would be pro-rated due to the cut during the season, and would come to maybe $450,000 for the season. If he's prepared to play off the bench, why not see if he's interested in re-joining Rex?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baltimore isn't looking at him, must be a reason!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No this is BAD Rex rearing his head. Reed is one of the biggest impact players the NFL has seen, but his days are done. Bad Rex cannot recognize that players get old and cannot do it anymore. We see this time and time again with Rex. We finally got him to play the young guys on the line and look at what they are doing. Antonio Allen is really developing. Don't short change that for a veteran that no longer can play at a high level.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    I bet Reed would play differently for a contender than he would for a 2-7 team that has nothing to play for.
    My thoughts exactly, not to mention playing for Rex again and for a defense that amongst the best in the league.

Reed could be reinvigorated to play for Rex and a Jets team that is in good position for a playoff run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Idzik is too smart to fall for this. Rex could push tanny around but not idzik. We have some safeties we need to evaluate to see if we need to address the position in next years draft. Idzik is not making shortsighted moves.
    We have 4 safeties obviously Bush would take a back seat but its not so improbable. Are Trufant & Bush that vital to this team's success? Would Reed create some type of impact on the field? These are questions you ask. I don't think Rex is going to beg for Ed Reed and Idzik hates going after older guys but we have had issues in pass coverage and he's a huge upgrade over Bush even at his age and with the injuries. Is Bush a guy you look at as a potential starter? I don't think so ... I think if Ed Reed is 70% healthy you take a shot and let go of Bush or Trufant. Even this year he makes a huge difference in the back end ... look at this from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...t-without-reed

Opposing quarterbacks' completion percentages and yards per attempt were slightly higher with Reed on the field. Their Total QBR was slightly lower with Reed on the field.

The one major difference came in touchdowns: Houston allowed twice as many passing touchdowns when Reed was off the field than when he was on it.

So the guys has some type of impact ... end of story. I say its worth it ..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Troy Davis would probably be sent back down to the practice squad now that McIntyre is healthy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    How is this "bad Rex?" Was it bad Rex when we got Trevor Pryce? No, it helped the team. Obviously Allen is going to get playing time, Rex loves his man cover skills. In Nickel/dime situations, however, this team could use an Ed Reed on the back end. Let's by forget we've had trouble getting takeaways. Reed didn't fit Houston's rigid system but would do well with Rex.
    Wade Phillips system didn't allow for Ed to roam around like he wants to. There's not much improvising done for safeties in his system if at all. A couple of scouts questions if Ed Reed even fit in that system because of it. In Rex's system its a completely different ball game. He can jump routes when he feels he should, he'll put the corners in the perfect position if he see's fit ... lets not forget Peyton Manning said he's the smartest safety he's ever played against saying that he reads things guys from his position better than anyone he's ever seen. The guy is a savant back there as far as smarts on the field. Mental breakdowns is this team's issue. I like my chances with this guy here and motivated on a playoff contender rather than play a system he feels held back in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    I think Troy Davis would probably be sent back down to the practice squad now that McIntyre is healthy.
    our GM is pretty conventional if he picks up Reed he'll drop someone from that position. He doesn't want lack of position depth Idzik is too by the book with that. He'll adjust prior to the season but mid-season he'll keep the numbers looking the same, I'm pretty sure of it. Although I think he should leave off Sapp or Davis .. I agree with you but I doubt he'd do that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    our GM is pretty conventional if he picks up Reed he'll drop someone from that position. He doesn't want lack of position depth Idzik is too by the book with that. He'll adjust prior to the season but mid-season he'll keep the numbers looking the same, I'm pretty sure of it. Although I think he should leave off Sapp or Davis .. I agree with you but I doubt he'd do that.
    I'd tend to agree but anyone he cuts from out secondary i think has a higher chance of being picked up. If I remember correctly Davis is only here cause McIntyre was injured. Now that he's healthy we have the same amount of active LBs is we send Davis to the PS. Either way if we do sign Reed it's probably Bush or Davis. Neither would stop me from signing Reed if Rex thinks he can help.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Which is only around $1 million.
    The remainder of his money is only like $400k.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can't play special teams. Who would we cut for him? Troy Davis may not make it to the PS if we go that route.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HighJetsFan View Post
    He can't play special teams. Who would we cut for him? Troy Davis may not make it to the PS if we go that route.
    He made it all the other times. On April 27, 2013, He signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent.[6] He was released on August 31, 2013.[7] He was signed to the team's practice squad a day later.[8] He was released on September 25, 2013.[9] He was re-signed to the practice squad on October 2, 2013.[10] He promoted to the active roster on October 12, 2013.[11]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Ed Reed a JET yet?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Is Ed Reed a JET yet?
    Lol, I'm checking every news feed known to man, nothing but the same sh1t from yesterday.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets are interested in free-agent safety Ed Reed, a league source told ESPN.com Wednesday night.

Their level of interest wasn't immediately known, but it appears to be more than cursory. The New England Patriots have been mentioned as another suitor.

ReedThe future Hall of Famer, released Tuesday by the Houston Texans, cleared waivers Wednesday afternoon. Two hours before he hit the open market, Rex Ryan sounded intrigued by Reed, whom he once coached in Baltimore. Ryan acknowledged that he discussed Reed with general manager John Idzik, but he stopped short of saying they planned to pursue him.

"I could say absolutely, yes, I'd like him on our team," said Ryan, who tried to camouflage his interest by mentioning several other former players he'd like to have back but couldn't.

By early evening, however, the Jets had reached out to Reed, the source said.
    Ryan and Reed spent seven seasons together with the Baltimore Ravens, from 2002 to 2008. Two years ago, Ryan called him the greatest safety in history.

On Wednesday, Ryan suggested the decision was out of his hands.

"The big picture of right now, the current football team, I'm probably not the right guy to make all those decisions," Ryan said. "I think sometimes there's a comfort level in knowing guys, without question, guys that certainly played well for you. ... I'd like those guys, without question."

The Jets' current starters at safety are Dawan Landry, who played alongside Reed from 2006 to 2010 in Baltimore, and Antonio Allen. Ryan praised Allen, saying he "has a chance to be really good." The third safety is Jaiquawn Jarrett. The trio has combined for only two interceptions.

Rookie defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said he'd welcome Reed.

"I don't have any say in that, but most definitely, as long as he could come in and contribute," he said.

Tight end Kellen Winslow, who played with Reed at the University of Miami, believes he still can be an impact player at age 35.

"Please. Are you kidding me? He's the best I've ever seen do it at safety," Winslow said. "He's going to land somewhere and wreak havoc. I'd love to have him here. He's the ultimate leader. In our defense, he'd be able to gamble all he wants. He's a great asset, a smart player."
    Article from Cimini. I didn't post the link b/c I didn't want anyone to accidentally click it. I'm thinking the source is probably Reed's agent. Just my opinion.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Article from Cimini. I didn't post the link b/c I didn't want anyone to accidentally click it. I'm thinking the source is probably Reed's agent. Just my opinion.
    @mortreport: Ed Reed's options included the Jets (possibly) but not the Patriots, Ravens or Colts. Not sure about Saints. As of late last night.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if its BS but I am hearing on the local Miami radio stations that the fins are interested in Reed. They are saying would be a good signing for a vet presence and since he knows the Jets D. I haven't seen it anywhere else, probably just local Miami hacks speculating.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of those situations where bringing in Reed is harmless.
    Who do we have at safety that he would be stunting their growth? Bush? Barely plays as it is.
    Allen will still play a lot.
    As a Jet fan, what do I care about Woodys money? $450-$800 thou means nothing to me, will have no meaning next year & having Reed in the playoffs ( knock on wood) would be awesome!
    Imagine, If we play the Pats again & we could have Allen on Gronk & Reed playing FS in nickel & dime.
    I'm praying we sign him for this 7 game run, the AFC is getting really strange right now & I don't think there is any team in the AFC that Rex & Marty couldn't put a game plan together to beat. Any given Sunday especially this year.
    Jets are a scary team to draw in the playoffs!
    Good Dline, a QB that can sling it & run, which means he only has to have a breakout game once to send you home.
    Mannings ankles are not gonna get better, the dude is like 90, Bradys one hit away from breaking, KC has been beating up on the sisters of the poor, ( does anyone actually think KC would be undefeated if they played our schedule this year?)
    Pats X 2, @ Cincy, Saints?
    If we get in the tournament, anything can happen, plus Rex & the Jets will be free wheeling into these games looser than goose sh*t!
    If just to rub ESPNs bullsh*t all over their noses! going from the 32nd ranked team in the preseason to scary playoff spoiler in 5 months would be such sweet revenge...I can taste it!