Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82

Thread: Did Jets make a mistake signing Reed?

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I don't think you can clearly answer that yet. What if Rex starts favoring Reed like he did an againg Bart Scott, what if the young leadership on D , gets offended by Rex bringing in a "new" leader. On the surface the move looks like a no brainer , but so did Santonio Holmes - just saying.
    Thats not fair 56. Scotts first two years here were good ones. Last year he slowed down, big time, but he didn't feel Davis was completly ready. You talk like Scott was a bust from the get go.

  2. #42
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure but I definitely made a mistake opening this mess.

  3. #43
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sevomd View Post
    In his 275 snaps as a Houston Texan, quarterbacks have a perfect rating (158.3) when throwing at someone who was once one of the most feared players in NFL history (according to Pro Football Focus).

    But PFF also reported on how many passes were thrown at Ed Reed... a grand total of THREE, out of 275 snaps. So looks like QBs are avoiding throwing at Reed... changes the narrative a bit, don't you think?
    Kudos. This makes the stat laughable. Short answer is low risk with good chance of positive reward. Even if not the player he was, which I am sure we all agree that he is not, his experience and leadership ability will be good for this year during our PLAYOFF RUN or next year when the young guys are that much better because they got half a season and a possible playoff run alongside a Hall of Famer and they learned some ****.

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Thats not fair 56. Scotts first two years here were good ones. Last year he slowed down, big time, but he didn't feel Davis was completly ready. You talk like Scott was a bust from the get go.
    No but Rex left him out there when he was clearly not producing last year, Rex has always favored his Balt Vets. Not saying he'll do that with Reed, but there is precedent.

    I personally hope Reed comes in mentors the young safeties and plays well in a limited role.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    It may be all handshakes and smiles right now, but bringing in Ed Reed will prove to be a decision the Jets will regret.

    Adding a name with Ed Reed's stature may seem like a no-brainer decision, but these types of moves are best reserved for your Madden franchise. The truth is, there are a lot more risks in bringing in the future Hall-of-Famer.

    The Jets have not simply brought in slower version of Ed Reed. They brought in a player that has been in a steady decline before he was released from the Houston Texans—and everyone except for the Jets has taken notice.

    As much as the Jets' secondary as struggled at times, adding a player that is just a few months removed from career-altering hip surgery has a better chance of making it worse rather than patch it up over seven short weeks.

    Just How Bad is Ed Reed?

    Mitch Stringer-USA TODAY Sports
    For roughly a decade, NFL teams have feared to throw in Ed Reed's direction, for their of Reed making a game-changing interception was overwhelming.

    Now, quarterbacks should be aware of where Reed is, but not because they are still afraid of him—they should actually start targeting him as a weak link in the secondary.

    In his 275 snaps as a Houston Texan, quarterbacks have a perfect rating (158.3) when throwing at someone who was once one of the most feared players in NFL history (according to Pro Football Focus).

    As someone pointed out, QBs have a perfect rating is incredibly misleading, since that means they have 3 attempts and 3 completions. But that's not even the most misleading part

    Ed Reed is somehow blamed in their system for allowing a 64 yard TD pass to Vernon Davis. However, based on this image

    VernonDavis_TD.jpg

    and this article (among others)
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...2983--nfl.html

    Now. Ed Reed took a terrible angle and Vernon Davis, Ed Reed is not nearly the guy he was 3 years ago, and it's incredibly strange to have a stat of "thrown at" for a free safety. But, the idea that Reed was on coverage of Vernon Davis isn't even accurate.

  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    INT is called an abbreviation.

    An example of initials would be PM or IM, something you should know quite well.

    Here's another example of initials :

    POS (something you should know quite well, too)

  7. #47
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Waxin
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Would this crap have been written if Reed signed with any of the other 31 teams? Answer is no
    We all know how much of a blow job article this would've been had he gone to the Pats. Not even gonna waste my time reading it.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    We all know how much of a blow job article this would've been had he gone to the Pats. Not even gonna waste my time reading it.
    The Pats were brilliant to let Reed sign with the Jets. Wait...it's coming.

  9. #49
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can you possibly view this as a bad signing?

    Please, fill me in on the potential downside?

    Is it the money? Couldn't be. He's essentially making the vet minimum.

    Is it the fact that we cut Sapp to make room? A total f*cking scrub who hasn't progressed one iota in his 3 years here?

    Was there some young, playmaking safety on the open market that we could've picked up instead?



    We're talking about arguably the greatest cover safety to ever step on a football field who, despite not being the player he once was, is returning to a system that he is extremely comfortable with and playing for a coach that he adores and credits a big part of his success to.

    Again, where is the downside?

    Please, fill me in...

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    How can you possibly view this as a bad signing?

    Please, fill me in on the potential downside?

    Is it the money? Couldn't be. He's essentially making the vet minimum.

    Is it the fact that we cut Sapp to make room? A total f*cking scrub who hasn't progressed one iota in his 3 years here?

    Was there some young, playmaking safety on the open market that we could've picked up instead?



    We're talking about arguably the greatest cover safety to ever step on a football field who, despite not being the player he once was, is returning to a system that he is extremely comfortable with and playing for a coach that he adores and credits a big part of his success to.

    Again, where is the downside?

    Please, fill me in...
    There are some risks.

    One is not allowing the young players to improve... (THough, the Jets secondary has been scorched for 14 TDs and 4 INTs in their last 6 games, again, they did look better against NE and NO, though)

    Two is allowing players to develop into leadership roles (Remember, Derrick Mason turned into a bit of a disaster when the Jets signed him, and had issues in the locker room).. Though it sounds like Reed really wants to play for Rex, so it'd be a bit surprising for Reed to "turn" a locker room so quickly

    Three is Rex not recognizing that Reed is done and giving him more snaps than he deserves, similar to Scott last year... Though, it's worth pointing out that Bart Scott only played about half the Jets defensive snaps after week 6 last season, so while he did get some snaps from Demario Davis, I'm not sure it's the shocking poor coaching that people make it out to be.

    Ultiamtely, I think the move makes sense for the Jets, but I'm not really sure if Reed is really going to have much of an impact. The bottom line is that, while the Safety play has been somewhat of an issue, the secondary will be good if Cromatie and Milliner improve in the 2nd half. If they do, then it's going to look like the addition to Reed helped, if they don't, then the signing of Reed will look like a mistake.

  11. #51
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    There are some risks.

    One is not allowing the young players to improve... (THough, the Jets secondary has been scorched for 14 TDs and 4 INTs in their last 6 games, again, they did look better against NE and NO, though)

    Two is allowing players to develop into leadership roles (Remember, Derrick Mason turned into a bit of a disaster when the Jets signed him, and had issues in the locker room).. Though it sounds like Reed really wants to play for Rex, so it'd be a bit surprising for Reed to "turn" a locker room so quickly

    Three is Rex not recognizing that Reed is done and giving him more snaps than he deserves, similar to Scott last year... Though, it's worth pointing out that Bart Scott only played about half the Jets defensive snaps after week 6 last season, so while he did get some snaps from Demario Davis, I'm not sure it's the shocking poor coaching that people make it out to be.

    Ultiamtely, I think the move makes sense for the Jets, but I'm not really sure if Reed is really going to have much of an impact. The bottom line is that, while the Safety play has been somewhat of an issue, the secondary will be good if Cromatie and Milliner improve in the 2nd half. If they do, then it's going to look like the addition to Reed helped, if they don't, then the signing of Reed will look like a mistake.
    May not allow the young players to improve?


    Does anyone honestly view guys like Landry, Allen or Bush as longterm solutions?

    The only reason these guys are even starters is because Idzik had limited resources to work with due to the sh*tastic mess that he inherited from Tannenbaum.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    u can predict anything u want but no one knows for sure. All of this predicting stuff is a waste of time. Nothing in the NFL goes as it should .. especially this year. This is all a waste of time ... we won't know for sure until he see's the field and either makes plays or is a liability. What's the point of wasting a breath or depending links from writers? If he gets a pick 6 on sunday this entire thread took way too much time for nothing ... time is everything man. Use it properly .. unlike me when I responded to this.

  13. #53
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    u can predict anything u want but no one knows for sure. All of this predicting stuff is a waste of time. Nothing in the NFL goes as it should .. especially this year. This is all a waste of time ... we won't know for sure until he see's the field and either makes plays or is a liability. What's the point of wasting a breath or depending links from writers? If he gets a pick 6 on sunday this entire thread took way too much time for nothing ... time is everything man. Use it properly .. unlike me when I responded to this.
    This thread is a dumpster fire.

    That is all.

  14. #54
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard Derrick Masons name mentioned more on this thread then I did when he was a Jet.
    Bottom line let Ed play and then judge if he was worth it or not.
    It is a no brainer to take a chance on a future HOF at the cost of peanuts.
    If it doesn't work out , no harm no foul.
    But let it play out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #55
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Waxin
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    The Pats were brilliant to let Reed sign with the Jets. Wait...it's coming.
    Wow....... You're good!

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Not sure but I definitely made a mistake opening this mess.
    Does this say you're not sure, but you definitely made a mistake? This type of thinking explains a lot.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    19,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets did not make a mistake.

    Jets got Reed on the cheap.

    There is absolutely no risk in signing him for a year on the cheap and giving him a 7 game tryout - none whatsoever.

    Low risk, and potentially high reward. If not, the Jets spent next to nothing to find out.

    Not a thing wrong with due diligence.

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our secondary has been giving up long plays in the middle of the field, so, we signed Ed Reed for peanuts, his contract has zero effect on our salary cap in 2014.
    Reed is so familiar with Rex defensive scheme that he practiced with 2 hours sleep & Rex has announced he will probably play some in Buffalo.
    If Ed Reed picks off Manuel on Sunday the same people questioning this move based on Having to bench Josh Bush & cut Ricky Sapp
    (Ouch) that really hurts the team, will be sucking his pole.
    Sometimes I think there is a faction of Jet fans that would complain if we signed Jimmy Graham in the offseason because he tweaked his heel in 2013 & he's an injury risk.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    He hasn't played a snap yet. There's a very good chance he may not have anything left yet, but it's not like they're bringing in an aging QB or somebody with a history of off-the-field issues.

  20. #60
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Does this say you're not sure, but you definitely made a mistake? This type of thinking explains a lot.
    I guess I wasn't very clear.

    What I meant was that I'm not sure if the Jet's made a mistake signing Reed. I definitely made a mistake when I opened this thread though. To make matters worse I've now opened it several times and even posted in it twice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us