Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus

All League

Miley Cyrus

Image1.jpg

So the above Hampur ad got me reflecting on this Miley Cyrus chick (whose music I have never heard). Apparently whatever she's done in the past months that pissed some people off was no accident but part of an intentional over-the-top marketing campaign designed to get attention by drawing outrage. An old tried and true method of putting asses in seats...Mark Twain wrote about it in Huck Finn. Cyrus's campaign is not especially creative, feels kinda fake-plasticy, although she does go about it with a certain morally neutral determination...like if her agent told her to suck horse cock she'd take a second to touch up her lipstick, check her hair gel, and without blinking or further adieu go suck horse cock.

While you have to admire that sort of unflinching goal-orientation the cane shaker in me is strongly inclined (again, without even having heard her music) to write her off as a morally bankrupt talentless media slut. But I don't know. Is she any worse than, say, the Sex Pistols, whose anti-social act was largely also just shtick designed to cause outrage for no other reason than getting attention? And is debasing one's self publicly a talent in itself?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-15-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Sex Pistols, come on Bushy.

Hall Of Fame
    Just anther example of what happens when your parents sell you as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Image1.jpg

So the above Hampur ad got me reflecting on this Miley Cyrus chick (whose music I have never heard). Apparently whatever she's done in the past months that pissed some people off was no accident but part of an intentional over-the-top marketing campaign designed to get attention by drawing outrage. An old tried and true method of putting asses in seats...Mark Twain wrote about it in Huck Finn. Cyrus's campaign is not especially creative, feels kinda fake-plasticy, although she does go about it with a certain morally neutral determination...like if her agent told her to suck horse cock she'd take a second to touch up her lipstick, check her hair gel, and without blinking or further adieu go suck horse cock.

While you have to admire that sort of unflinching goal-orientation the cane shaker in me is strongly inclined (again, without even having heard her music) to write her off as a morally bankrupt talentless media slut. But I don't know. Is she any worse than, say, the Sex Pistols, whose anti-social act was largely also just shtick designed to cause outrage for no other reason than getting attention? And is debasing one's self publicly a talent in itself?
    A line at a horror movie was the birth of Sabbath. Doesn't change the fact that the debut album was brilliant.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just anther example of what happens when your parents sell you as a child.
    This. Kris Jenner says hey.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Sex Pistols, come on Bushy.
    What?

Hall Of Fame
    She knows what she is doing. She is smart

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    She knows what she is doing. She is smart
    +1.

Plus....and kill me now....her music is OK.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    +1.

Would I be correct in assuming she is product (as opposed to an organic act)?

Hall Of Fame
    What?
    Because comparing the Pistols to achy breaky farts idiot daughter?

Man. That justin Beiber is a little whiney ***** like Jim Morrison.

I'd hit it, zero ****s given...

See what I did there

Hall Of Fame
    +1.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Because comparing the Pistols to achy breaky farts idiot daughter?

Man. That justin Beiber is a little whiney ***** like Jim Morrison.
    K. Was just clarifying. But also there was a generation before us (the folks we called mom and dad) to whom the Sex Pistols were "just a lot of noise trying to sound important."

So it's a fair question to challenge the belief that our noise = important while someone else's important = noise.

No one is equating Beiber with Morrison. Not me, anyway. But he might be on par with the Bay City Rollers, no?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-15-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    So it's a fair question to challenge the belief that our noise = important while someone else's important = noise.
    Really?

She's manufactured talent. A Disney whore.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Would I be correct in assuming she is product (as opposed to an organic act)?
    It only care what my ears hear.

Every band is product, the Beatles were a product, the Pistols were a product.

You either like the sound or not...you don't have to try and make a statement with who you listen to...just enjoy.

You either like the sound or not...you don't have to try and make a statement with who you listen to...just enjoy.
    I agree. Her music is OK. She clearly has talent, but anyone who questions her "schtick" is IMO doing so from a parental point of view. The girl wants to be a "star" and her conduct is pretty much what one might expect from a 20 year old surrounded by sycophants. I mean, really, what were most of the people on this site doing when they were 20?

She is sooooo hot I'd totally ****s wit it

I hope you were just rambling in blanket stating that every band is a product. If you really think so, I'm guessing you don't know too much music (no offense).
    Try turning off the pop stations and put on 88.9- Emerson College radio(one of the best in the country). It'll clean out your ears and open up your mind.
    Listening to pop music and pop stations is like eating fast food. You do it because the onslaught by the media makes you think it's good, makes you think that you want it, and that it provides instant gratification with little or no effort. In reality there is little or no substance to it, and you gain nothing from it in the long run.
    With regards to the Beatles, they certainly were a product at first, then all it took was a joint from Bob Dylan to show those kids the way, and the world was forever changed. They stopped being a product and became revolutionary creators.
    I'd be happy to do the same for you.

(Meant nothing about the fast food reference btw)

Hey at least she supports National causes...