Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    She is trash on wheels. But she knows what she's doing, it an orchestrated trash-on-wheels look.
    I disagree. She very talented. She's following Madona's model of success. Her net worth today is 150 million. She is playing with the houses money.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I disagree. She very talented. She's following Madona's model of success. Her net worth today is 150 million. She is playing with the houses money.
    RMJK, I don't see how your statement and Paulie's are contradictory.

One thing I hated about Madonna's act was when people, and there were many over the years, would argue that there was depth to it...that she was "boldly exploring and questioning sexual mores." She wasn't exploring anything. She was pushing buttons, plain and simple, same as Cyrus is doing. That doesn't mean she wasn't a smart business woman. She certainly made a lot of money. But social critic? Hardly.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post

One thing I hated about Madonna's act was when people, and there were many over the years, would argue that there was depth to it...that she was "boldly exploring and questioning sexual mores." She wasn't exploring anything. She was pushing buttons, plain and simple, same as Cyrus is doing. That doesn't mean she wasn't a smart business woman. She certainly made a lot of money. But social critic? Hardly.
    Which act, she changed with the times over 30 years made some good music too. Madonna farts out Miley no talent Cyrus.

Madonna has sold more than 300 million records worldwide and is recognized as the best-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records. Time included her in its list of the "25 Most Powerful Women of the Past Century" due to her major influence in contemporary music. Madonna is the best-selling female rock artist of the 20th century and the second best selling female artist in the United States, with 64.5 million certified albums. Considered by Forbes and other publications as a cultural icon,[2][3] she is often referred by the international press as the "Queen of Pop". In 2008, Billboard ranked her at number two, behind only The Beatles, on the Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists, making her the most successful solo artist in the history of the chart. She was also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the same year. In 2012, she was crowned the "Greatest Woman In Music" by VH1. As of 2013, some sources report that Madonna's net worth has crossed over one billion dollars.[4] Forbes magazine named Madonna the fifth most powerful and the highest earning celebrity of 2013 with net earnings of $125 million between June 2012–13.[5]

Jets Insider VIP

OK, I agree.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Which act, she changed with the times over 30 years made some good music too. Madonna farts out Miley no talent Cyrus.
    Madonna was a woman of modest musical talent with a genius for marketing and self-promotion. She also had a great flair for showmanship, a love of being in the public eye, and wasn't too worried about maintaining her "integrity." A big part of her shtick, that easily overshadowed the music, was her calculated outrageousness. What was she going to do next? That's the hook that drew in and held the lion's share of her audience. It's also why once she passed her years of sexual attractiveness her career nose-dived. People will pay to see Bonnie Raitt as long as she can play a guitar. But the thought of a mid-50s Madonna gyrating onstage and fellating microphones is to most people repellant.

I actually like a few Madonna songs. But her claim to fame is not as a musician or as a singer. She's an "act." She's sold a ton of albums--a tribute to her promotional machine. That doesn't make her a better songwriter that Joni Mitchell or a better singer than Aretha Franklin. An astute businesswoman no doubt. A huge earner who wrote some catchy tunes. But when i hear people refer to her as the greatest female artist of all time I can only shake my head...not sure she'd even crack my top 100.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-16-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Madonna was a woman of modest musical talent with a genius for marketing and self-promotion. She also had a great flair for showmanship, a love of being in the public eye, and wasn't too worried about maintaining her "integrity." A big part of her shtick, that easily overshadowed the music, was her calculated outrageousness. What was she going to do next? That's the hook that drew in and held the lion's share of her audience. It's also why once she passed her years of sexual attractiveness her career nose-dived. People will pay to see Bonnie Raitt as long as she can play a guitar. But the thought of a mid-50s Madonna gyrating onstage and fellating microphones is to most people repellant.

I actually like a few Madonna songs. But her claim to fame is not as a musician or as a singer. She's an "act." She's sold a ton of albums--a tribute to her promotional machine. That doesn't make her a better songwriter that Joni Mitchell or a better singer than Aretha Franklin. An astute businesswoman no doubt. A huge earner who wrote some catchy tunes. But when i hear people refer to her as the greatest female artist of all time I can only shake my head...not sure she'd even crack my top 100.
    Queen of pop, she is no Carole King that's for sure, and countless others. She was my little sisters music when she first came out along with Duran Duran, Culture Club, etc. They all have some good songs but back then we were miles away.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 11-16-2013 at 10:54 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Carole King
    Well played.

Jets Insider VIP
    Justin Beiber has twice as many number one hits than the Beatles.

Because the Beatles sucked. Justin Beiber is so much a better business man than those stupid stoned hippies were.

The world needs 10 more Beibers.

Hall Of Fame
    Real?
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Hey at least she supports National causes...

Bieber has tits? WTF!?

All League
    Madonnas last show weighed in at over 65 tons. Most shows are half that. Guess it's more about the event than the music.

FTR, Britney Spears, Cher, and even Nickelback were also heavy shows.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Madonnas last show weighed in at over 65 tons. Most shows are half that. Guess it's more about the event than the music.

FTR, Britney Spears, Cher, and even Nickelback were also heavy shows.
    so you're saying that they were Big Loads?

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Because the Beatles sucked. Justin Beiber is so much a better business man than those stupid stoned hippies were.

Americans age 25 and below have no idea what music is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Real?

NSFW
    I would say yes. I like 'em.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I agree.

Today's music lacks any soul. I mean, it's "music" as in it contains notes, rhythm and a melody. But music as art has to be written for a reason...not to satisfy a list of requirements for a song to be played a lot for the sake of making $$$.

15 - 20 yrs ago, bands had to play ALOT before being recognized. Most bands debut albums weren't as popular as their 2nd or 3rd times 'round. It used to take work to get played.

Now you just have to shock enough to go "viral" to get recognition.

That being said...for those same reasons, there is a ton of good music out there waiting to be found. It's just a lot harder to find now. You can't rely on radio to expose it to you...you have to dig to find it. But it's definitely out there.

The kids are alright. The media isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I hope you were just rambling in blanket stating that every band is a product. If you really think so, I'm guessing you don't know too much music (no offense).
    Try turning off the pop stations and put on 88.9- Emerson College radio(one of the best in the country). It'll clean out your ears and open up your mind.
    Listening to pop music and pop stations is like eating fast food. You do it because the onslaught by the media makes you think it's good, makes you think that you want it, and that it provides instant gratification with little or no effort. In reality there is little or no substance to it, and you gain nothing from it in the long run.
    With regards to the Beatles, they certainly were a product at first, then all it took was a joint from Bob Dylan to show those kids the way, and the world was forever changed. They stopped being a product and became revolutionary creators.
    I'd be happy to do the same for you.

(Meant nothing about the fast food reference btw)
    Well you didn't really pick up on the big idea of my post, that being the production an packaging of music. If you did, you didn't really address it.
    IDGAF what you listen to, I take my fiancée to pop music shows and have fun with her, she comes with me to my shows and has fun with me. It's all good, it's just music.
    I'm not really a music snob because I'm always trying to spread the music I listen to others, and listening to new music on the recommendation of others.
    I listen to a broad spectrum, and I go to at least a show a week on average. I'm always trying to find a common ground in music to discuss with others. I guess I'm a music geek.
    But if you're listening to a musician whose music resonates with 15 yr old girls, and you're a grown man, then yes I think that is very bad.
    Sorry I can't agree with that. Where as an adult do you draw the line? Do you watch Hannah Montana too?

PS Pink makes me want to kill. Her "infectious beat" (and hook which I'm assuming you're referring to) in that song is a rip off of Tone Loc's Wild Thing, which ripped off Van Halen's Jamie's Cryin.
    "Get this party started" has been used in hundreds of songs before this gimmick was told to sing it.
    I guess that's the snob in me, but I value originality.
    Well it's not my nature, I work hard at what I do an I appreciate the rewards much greater than I would if I were handed everything.
    Regarding Hannah Montana, I have no clue what you are talking about, but if you had watched that on your own, I'd say you have problems, which is how I referenced it before.

Edit: flying international, sorry I can't continue
    Tell the truth you drive a Prius, blasting your Bon Iver, don't you?
    Last edited by Snell41; 01-13-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree.

Today's music lacks any soul. I mean, it's "music" as in it contains notes, rhythm and a melody. But music as art has to be written for a reason...not to satisfy a list of requirements for a song to be played a lot for the sake of making $$$.

15 - 20 yrs ago, bands had to play ALOT before being recognized. Most bands debut albums weren't as popular as their 2nd or 3rd times 'round. It used to take work to get played.

Now you just have to shock enough to go "viral" to get recognition.

That being said...for those same reasons, there is a ton of good music out there waiting to be found. It's just a lot harder to find now. You can't rely on radio to expose it to you...you have to dig to find it. But it's definitely out there.

The kids are alright. The media isn't.
    You should start listening to Phish.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Phish should listen to me, lol.

And Jet Things should go to The Great Blue Heron this year!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    And common.

Commoner.