Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to move on from Sanchez 2.0

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    There's a difference between picking a player with potential and developing that potential versus picking a player who is MVP from day one. The latter is extremely rare but it's what fans seem to think we can get if we just draft QB after QB. We are more likely to get a QB with potential and develop. That requires more than one draft pick. That is about the coaching staff and management. We've seen this team have a long history of poor development of players. If we can't get a system to develop offensive players going then we're just burning seasons and draft picks until we find that elusive franchise QB on day one. Show me the tools to develop a franchise QB and then we can talk about draft picks.
    I agree to an extent...my point is, that UNTIL you draft someone who is a more than 'potential' (i.e., shows star potential upfront), you need more position players with 'potential' rather than sticking with someone for 4+ years and hoping for the best.

I am of the opinion that there is no magical 'development' strategy for QB's. They either understand the game, and develop in game awareness quickly or they don't. Morninwheg's had success with multiple QB's, so it's not like the process is foreign to him.

IMO, Geno just continues to repeat mistakes..and you cannot disregard the turnovers at this point, regardless of his 'potential'.

Personally, I think Idzik realizes this, and will be looking for another option to POTENTIALLY replace Smith if he proves he's a better option...but this sacrosanct belief that once you choose someone you have to stick with them come hell or high water is stupid..because even though some may have 'potential', many do NOT realize it.

I have not chosen a side on the Geno issue but I will say this, if the Jets have a chance to draft another qb, I would.

They need another QB and they also need to DRAFT A WR, as well.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    This thread is aweful

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Dude just doesn't look like he'll pan out. Oh well.
    Not looking like it, but who knows. I think the Jets should approach Sanchez with a renegotiated contract, let the QB battle be conducted in earnest next season and draft wisely on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball, namely OG and WR. From there, I think this team would see a lot of improvement, regardless of who would win the QB battle.

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateJoker6 View Post
    simply cant play in bad weather. look back at bowl game vs syracuse, new england this year, and now.
    Exactly. I posted that in a thread before the game started.

That is the reason the Bills drafted EJ & not Geno.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Not looking like it, but who knows. I think the Jets should approach Sanchez with a renegotiated contract, let the QB battle be conducted in earnest next season and draft wisely on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball, namely OG and WR. From there, I think this team would see a lot of improvement, regardless of who would win the QB battle.
    Hell NO.

Sanchez needs to be CUT in the off season, Geno needs to have Simms start next week to let him know this starting job ain't his birth right, AND we need to bring in more competition next year to improve the talent at the most important position on the field.

JMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    Hell NO.

Sanchez needs to be CUT in the off season, Geno needs to have Simms start next week to let him know this starting job ain't his birth right, AND we need to bring in more competition next year to improve the talent at the most important position on the field.

JMO.
    I only offered that as an alternative to chasing our QB tails. Are there any real alternatives out there that will improve the QB position next year, especially given the likely draft position the Jets will have next year (middling)? I'd much rather improve other positions on the offense (more bang for the buck, so to speak) and see a 2nd year Smith and motivate off injury Sanchez duke it out with improved talent around them. But that's JMO.

All League
    I only offered that as an alternative to chasing our QB tails. Are there any real alternatives out there that will improve the QB position next year, especially given the likely draft position the Jets will have next year (middling)? I'd much rather improve other positions on the offense (more bang for the buck, so to speak) and see a 2nd year Smith and motivate off injury Sanchez duke it out with improved talent around them. But that's JMO.

Really?

Next year there are going to be like 7-8 QB's with first-second round grades...and, I don't care if Smith is a rookie, the guy is on pace for like 30+ turnovers this year. Sanchez is toast to this franchise.

If drafting another QB is going to hurt Geno's psyche that much he ain't gonna amount to much anyway.

I don't want to sit here and stick with Geno if another potential answer at QB is available. Rookie or not, irregardless of the OC, an NFL QB needs to protect the football. Will they have stinkers? Sure...but Geno's trends are NOT positive.

Need to look at other options IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Dude just doesn't look like he'll pan out. Oh well.
    Off the bandwagon, huh? I took a lot of heat in the beginning of the season for not getting on from people like you. And took your avatar with you. Although that is an excellent replacement. If difficult to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    Really?

Next year there are going to be like 7-8 QB's with first-second round grades
    ...and, I don't care if Smith is a rookie, the guy is on pace for like 30+ turnovers this year. Sanchez is toast to this franchise.

If drafting another QB is going to hurt Geno's psyche that much he ain't gonna amount to much anyway.

I don't want to sit here and stick with Geno if another potential answer at QB is available. Rookie or not, irregardless of the OC, an NFL QB needs to protect the football. Will they have stinkers? Sure...but Geno's trends are NOT positive.

Need to look at other options IMO.
    That was a legit question as I don't watch college football that much anymore, should've clarified that.

I guess I am just QB weary at this point. I truly believe that at this juncture, the Jets are better served building the offense a bit more than going after a QB. It's kind of like when RBs were the bread and butter of a team and franchises went crazy drafting them, yet failing to provide a functional OL to block. Same here; why go after a QB who is going to need at least some kind of development if you are going to potentially stunt said development with less than adequate pass blocking and underwhelming talent at the skill positions? Seems dumb and counter-intuitive. Guess it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh?

Jets Insider VIP
    That was a legit question as I don't watch college football that much anymore, should've clarified that.

I guess I am just QB weary at this point. I truly believe that at this juncture, the Jets are better served building the offense a bit more than going after a QB. It's kind of like when RBs were the bread and butter of a team and franchises went crazy drafting them, yet failing to provide a functional OL to block. Same here; why go after a QB who is going to need at least some kind of development if you are going to potentially stunt said development with less than adequate pass blocking and underwhelming talent at the skill positions? Seems dumb and counter-intuitive. Guess it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh?
    why can't we bring in an experienced QB like Cutler if he is available. It does not have to be a rookie. Look at Smith in KC. Competition is great for all positions including QB. Sanchez is not the answer in my opinion. I think he could be good in Houston. He needs a change of scenery and we need to be rid of him. Of course you are right in wanting better skill position players surrounding whoever our QB is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    why can't we bring in an experienced QB like Cutler if he is available. It does not have to be a rookie. Look at Smith in KC. Competition is great for all positions including QB. Sanchez is not the answer in my opinion. I think he could be good in Houston. He needs a change of scenery and we need to be rid of him.
    I guess Cutler could be in play, but I have my doubts about his handling NY. Plus he is going to cost money, which will potentially take away from improving the skill positions and OL. That's kind of what is going on in Chicago now, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    why can't we bring in an experienced QB like Cutler if he is available. It does not have to be a rookie. Look at Smith in KC. Competition is great for all positions including QB. Sanchez is not the answer in my opinion. I think he could be good in Houston. He needs a change of scenery and we need to be rid of him. Of course you are right in wanting better skill position players surrounding whoever our QB is.
    Rex and company already passed once on Cutler and drafted Sanchez instead - why would they take him in a second go round?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    and doing a bad job of it. Smith is horrible. If you want to knock me, try refitting the evidence.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    The game got away from us today. It happens when one team is flat and the other is very motivated. Geno got sacked 4 times and hurried a bunch. It was rainy, windy, poor footing, and Geno didn't have much help from his OL eg., he was taken out for a play due to a rib injury. On some of the sacks he was driven to the turf and tackled illegally. We had Refs that believed in the Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The game got away from us today. It happens when one team is flat and the other is very motivated. Geno got sacked 4 times and hurried a bunch. It was rainy, windy, poor footing, and Geno didn't have much help from his OL eg., he was taken out for a play due to a rib injury. On some of the sacks he was driven to the turf and tackled illegally. We had Refs that believed in the Bills.
    The Bills had the exact same conditions to play in.

Veteran
    Geno is too inaccurate and sketchy too fully bet on him as the future. Draft a QB in the later rounds to compete with him.

Jets Insider VIP
    I guess Cutler could be in play, but I have my doubts about his handling NY. Plus he is going to cost money, which will potentially take away from improving the skill positions and OL. That's kind of what is going on in Chicago now, come to think of it.
    It does not have to be Cutler. Lets see who else is available. But we have 12 draft picks and a bundle of money to shore up other positions. You could be right about cutler.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Geno is too inaccurate and sketchy too fully bet on him as the future. Draft a QB in the later rounds to compete with him.
    Don't we already have this with Simms?

I would not say 'time to move on' from Smith but I've said from the day he was drafted until now, ups and downs that I would be totally happy if we drafted another QB in the 1st 3 rounds next year. Whatever you think of him competition is a good thing not a bad thing, we saw what happened when you coddle a qb and hand him the job with no viable backup.