Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about our crappy defense again?!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I tried to tell myself that after many games this year (Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Atlanta etc.) but I just think we have to hold them to a higher Standard. The D is supposed to be the rock for this Team and it cannot do it every week...
    Well think about it. The D gave up 17 points. That is completely fine. The offense gave up 20 points off of turnovers and barely got any drives going to give the D a break. I have a tough time laying much blame on the defense.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Well think about it. The D gave up 17 points. That is completely fine. The offense gave up 20 points off of turnovers and barely got any drives going to give the D a break. I have a tough time laying much blame on the defense.
    Don't bother many can't grasp the simple objectives of football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    He was definitely invisible today
    Made a tackle for loss on reverse and looked good on a blitz, Woulda been a sack but Bills had a scene called. Reed made him lob it up and it was stuffed.

Others than the Cromartie TD, The D played OK today. The atD on Milliner was just a fluke play where Manuel just threw it up. It was so poorly under thrown.

I have been saying it for years, Rex needs to mix in more conventional coverages rather than 0 and Cover 1 all the time. When TE game was on the line vs. Brees as Brady at the end of those games, Rex rushed 3 or 4 guys and played coverage. That is what he needs to do more of early in games. It's will make the blitzes more effective when it's not coming on every passing down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why Rex is not criticized for his defense. The Jets probably lead the league in giving up points off of turnovers for the last few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 Those 3 and outs kill a D..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now a lot blame goes on Geno here but for all we hear about Rex's defense it is constantly regressing too. Yes, we had one good half against Drew Brees, we played well for a half here and there but Overall this D has been a huge dissapointment. Yes, they got a bunch of new Starters and all that but it is just sickening how they get beaten the same way week in and week out.

Just for Starters, let's remind us again who the Bills featured at Receiver and tight end today:
    T.J. Graham, Chris Hogan, Scott Chandler, Marquise Goodwin and Lee Smith
    Yeah, read that again and realize that we faced a CFL caliber receiving Corps and still got beat over the top numerous times, allowed countless passes underneath and let These guys run free like crazy. We let E.J. Manuel complete 20 of 28 passes for 250 Yards and 2 TDs.

Our pass rush again was non existent. Our blitzes go nowhere, we never get a free rusher, we never make the QB get off his spot and there is virtually NO SPEED on the field anywhere.

I mean it cannot be understated how bad this defensive Performance was...
    I played D and let me tell you something nothing will take the brass out of your balls better then a ****ing guy who's supposed to be your qb thinking his job is to throw to the other team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know but an elite defense does not give up 17 Points to a horrible offense like the Bills who were missing their best Receivers. Again, by no means is our defense horrible or anything but it is certainly not as good as it Needs to be for our identity to work...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the defense didn't look great today - it's tough when your team can't move the ball, throws INT's and fumbles consistently. goes three and out regularly and gives the ball back on ST penalties.

It was a tough game all around but can't really put it on the defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    I played D and let me tell you something nothing will take the brass out of your balls better then a ****ing guy who's supposed to be your qb thinking his job is to throw to the other team.
    Of course but Geno's first turnover was after we already trailed 10-0, then it was 20-7 and we had them backed up inside their own twenty and with 2 passes the Bills went the entire field... I really want this defense to be dominant again and it has some Major pieces in place. But Rex cannot get These guys to put an entire game together and it is sickening to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course but Geno's first turnover was after we already trailed 10-0, then it was 20-7 and we had them backed up inside their own twenty and with 2 passes the Bills went the entire field... I really want this defense to be dominant again and it has some Major pieces in place. But Rex cannot get These guys to put an entire game together and it is sickening to me.
    Well also this is a younger defense than Rex has had. Not going to use that as a major excuse, but it is a factor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    While the defense didn't look great today - it's tough when your team can't move the ball, throws INT's and fumbles consistently. goes three and out regularly and gives the ball back on ST penalties.

It was a tough game all around but can't really put it on the defense.
    Agreed and Im not putting the loss on the defense but they are certainly part of the Problem, especially on the road where now Jake Locker, Andy Dalton and E.J. Manuel have lit them up...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The D certainly can't be elite when they only dominate in one aspect - containing the run.

Once again no pressure on the QB and one on one coverage 10-15 yards off the LOS.
    Manuel picked us apart on the short junk and got lucky on one deep pass. Plus Cro got toasted badly once again for like the 10th time this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    The D certainly can't be elite when they only dominate in one aspect - containing the run.

Once again no pressure on the QB and one on one coverage 10-15 yards off the LOS.
    Manuel picked us apart on the short junk and got lucky on one deep pass. Plus Cro got toasted badly once again for like the 10th time this season.
    The thing is people are complaining about the pass rush and yet they are in the top echelon of the NFL in sacks this year. I don't understand that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The thing is people are complaining about the pass rush and yet they are in the top echelon of the NFL in sacks this year. I don't understand that.
    How many sacks did they have in their losses. They get completely shutout in games. This is worrisome as the Jets manhandled the Bills Oline in the 1st game. It tells me other teams are adjusting better then the Jets are.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    How many sacks did they have in their losses. They get completely shutout in games. This is worrisome as the Jets manhandled the Bills Oline in the 1st game. It tells me other teams are adjusting better then the Jets are.
    I don't think they've gotten 0 sacks in a game this year. They got 1 today, I know.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know but an elite defense does not give up 17 Points to a horrible offense like the Bills who were missing their best Receivers. Again, by no means is our defense horrible or anything but it is certainly not as good as it Needs to be for our identity to work...
    I think we have an elite DL. Unfortunately I think all the three other aspects leave something to be desired. We need a 3-4 OLB in the worst way and unfortunately some corners (after having such great ones for years). I think Milliner might end up doing pretty well, but Cro is getting jettisoned this offseason. This team is really a lot worse than people think. Our OL is mediocre, our skill positions are downright terrible outside of Holmes and Ivory, and our corners are pretty bad. Really the stuff you can count on during a game are the DL and ILBs Those two units are not enough to make a team consistent on defense, and the entire lack of offense necessitates an Ravens 2000 defense. And that is the reason I tend not to get too worked up with the defense or Rex.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be fair, many defenses get there get their turnovers when it is a tight game or when their team has a good lead. The other team gets desperate, play sloppy and the turnovers mount up. The same is true for many sacks; once you know that other team has to throw, the defense can pin their ears back and charge. If you watch as many Pats games as I do, you will find that is normally how their turnovers pile up. They get up big and the other team has to sling the ball around. This defense is good. But, with the rules today, any decent team with a big lead can often move the ball. Are they ellite, no? But when your QB has 4 turnovers, you are likely to loos the game and loose big. The Bills only had 3 points with 5 minutes to go in the half, even 10 wasn't bad, but at some point, if the offense isn't going to score, the defense will likely break down.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who said they are elite.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think the first time we played Buffalo we had 6 or 7 sacks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we have an elite DL. Unfortunately I think all the three other aspects leave something to be desired. We need a 3-4 OLB in the worst way and unfortunately some corners (after having such great ones for years). I think Milliner might end up doing pretty well, but Cro is getting jettisoned this offseason. This team is really a lot worse than people think. Our OL is mediocre, our skill positions are downright terrible outside of Holmes and Ivory, and our corners are pretty bad. Really the stuff you can count on during a game are the DL and ILBs Those two units are not enough to make a team consistent on defense, and the entire lack of offense necessitates an Ravens 2000 defense. And that is the reason I tend not to get too worked up with the defense or Rex.
    you have made many great points. It really is true. We are in need of many upgrades.