Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno's Last 5 Games

Geno's Last 5 Games

His numbers in the last 5 games (ever since the awesome game against Atlanta) are:

76/139 (54.7%), 811 yards (5.8 ypa, 10.6 ypc, and 162.5 ypg), 1 TD, 8 INTs

18 carries, 66 yards, 2 TDs, 5 fumbles (1 lost)

It's still far too early to give up on him, so I'm glad Rex has already named him as next week's starter. I still put most of the blame on the pieces around him. Just think about how bad today would have been if we still didn't have Holmes. Stephen Hill was targeted 7 times and came away with 0 catches. That's our #2 receiver. Everyone saw how little time he had to throw today as well.

Ever since Rex decided that we were a potential playoff team, the gameplans have been noticeably more conservative. I think this has had a tremendous negative impact on Geno's development. We don't open it up until we're down, and that's when the margin of error is smallest.

Another factor also must be that defensive coordinators have been able to identify his strengths and weaknesses. They saw the success he was having with vertical routes early in the season. They've taken that away from him now. I've also noticed more zone blitzes and blitzing DBs (which started in the Pittsburgh game).

Geno has the physical tools, so you must give him more time, but the most important ability for a QB remains the ability to read a defense, both before and after the snap. That's what Sanchez never learned how to do, and that's what Geno is struggling with right now. If improvement isn't shown before the end of the year then we're probably looking at taking another QB pretty early in next year's draft.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good post.

INteresting point about the game plans getting more conservative. The O-line has played much better before giving Geno at times tons of time to throw, don't know if that is related

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    His numbers in the last 5 games (ever since the awesome game against Atlanta) are:

It's still far too early to give up on him, so I'm glad Rex has already named him as next week's starter. I still put most of the blame on the pieces around him. Just think about how bad today would have been if we still didn't have Holmes. Stephen Hill was targeted 7 times and came away with 0 catches. That's our #2 receiver. Everyone saw how little time he had to throw today as well.

Ever since Rex decided that we were a potential playoff team, the gameplans have been noticeably more conservative. I think this has had a tremendous negative impact on Geno's development. We don't open it up until we're down, and that's when the margin of error is smallest.

Another factor also must be that defensive coordinators have been able to identify his strengths and weaknesses. They saw the success he was having with vertical routes early in the season. They've taken that away from him now. I've also noticed more zone blitzes and blitzing DBs (which started in the Pittsburgh game).

Geno has the physical tools, so you must give him more time, but the most important ability for a QB remains the ability to read a defense, both before and after the snap. That's what Sanchez never learned how to do, and that's what Geno is struggling with right now. If improvement isn't shown before the end of the year then we're probably looking at taking another QB pretty early in next year's draft.
    I've noticed this, too. For Rex, this year and winning games is more important than developing Geno. So, they're not exactly doing what's best for Geno's development. Tough spot to be in.

It's STILL far too early to give up on him????????????????????????????????????? Yeah, ok..............Physical tools are MEANINGLESS when you can't play the position.

This is the most glaring issue for me.The play calling lately has not helped and if anything it's hindering Smith.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I've noticed this, too. For Rex, this year and winning games is more important than developing Geno. So, they're not exactly doing what's best for Geno's development. Tough spot to be in.
    Well, we cannot protect Geno so we kinda have to call a game conservative. And if we can't hit big on trick Plays, rushes and Screens we are dead in the water because Geno has no time...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    INteresting point about the game plans getting more conservative. The O-line has played much better before giving Geno at times tons of time to throw, don't know if that is related

It's not just about the line playing better,when the defence knows you are going to drop deep on 3rd and whatever the safeties,corners,you name it are all coming after you and even the best o-line will get overwhelmed.We have lost that ability to utilise short passing,screens,draw plays etc...it seems every time Geno has to drop deep he's waiting for average WR's to get open on slow-developing routes with 5 or 6 defenders in his face.

earlier in the season MM was much looser and more innovative with the play-calling and as a result Geno had some huge plays.about 3 or 4 weeks ago that changed and everything got dialled back and in my view it is totally hindering our play.

it doesn't help that we are desperately short of any talent on offence but nether did the Bills today and they made the most of their modesty

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Well, we cannot protect Geno so we kinda have to call a game conservative. And if we can't hit big on trick Plays, rushes and Screens we are dead in the water because Geno has no time...
    The other problem is that there's no speed guy on offense (besides Hill, but he's terrible) that can make a huge play. It's hard to string together 15 or 20 play drives in this league. Sometimes you just need a guy to break one. Losing Goodson was big.

All League
    he is getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    This is the most glaring issue for me.The play calling lately has not helped and if anything it's hindering Smith.
    Bottom line is they can't get down in games by double digits like they did today, they can't lay the pressure on Geno's shoulders.

Rookie
    I want Geno to develop into a franchise qb as much as anyone but the goal is always to win games. You don't put player development over winning games. You do whatever you have to do to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    I want Geno to develop into a franchise qb as much as anyone but the goal is always to win games. You don't put player development over winning games. You do whatever you have to do to win.
    Then Garrard, if healthy, should be the guy for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    It's not just about the line playing better,when the defence knows you are going to drop deep on 3rd and whatever the safeties,corners,you name it are all coming after you and even the best o-line will get overwhelmed.We have lost that ability to utilise short passing,screens,draw plays etc...it seems every time Geno has to drop deep he's waiting for average WR's to get open on slow-developing routes with 5 or 6 defenders in his face.

earlier in the season MM was much looser and more innovative with the play-calling and as a result Geno had some huge plays.about 3 or 4 weeks ago that changed and everything got dialled back and in my view it is totally hindering our play.

it doesn't help that we are desperately short of any talent on offence but nether did the Bills today and they made the most of their modesty
    Yep it stareted against Pitt , big question is who is responsible for scaling back - I feel its a Rex related emphasis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Imo geno is not the answer. Browning nagle2

You have to be conservative with him back there or else he would have 20 INTs in the last 5 games instead of 8.

I said it before this years draft, and I still feel the same now: I want Johnny Manzeil to be the Jets QB in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Yep it stareted against Pitt , big question is who is responsible for scaling back - I feel its a Rex related emphasis.
    To me it started with the Tennessee game. Geno did not pass much against Atlanta, but he threw efficiently.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I said it before this years draft, and I still feel the same now: I want Johnny Manzeil to be the Jets QB in 2014.
    This. The one thing rex has been consistant with over his 5 years here is boring footing. I could deal with the boring football when we are winning. But this is now going on 3 years of losing, boring football.

Bring in bevell and draft manziel. Its the perfect match as bevell is doing wonders with an undersized qb in seattle.

These 2 guys will bring exciting, offensive football to ny. You really want more years of the absolute borefest that rex ryan brings? I want to be entertained on sunday. Get me bevell and johnny manziel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    This. The one thing rex has been consistant with over his 5 years here is boring footing. I could deal with the boring football when we are winning. But this is now going on 3 years of losing, boring football.

Bring in bevell and draft manziel. Its the perfect match as bevell is doing wonders with an undersized qb in seattle.

These 2 guys will bring exciting, offensive football to ny. You really want more years of the absolute borefest that rex ryan brings? I want to be entertained on sunday. Get me bevell and johnny manziel.
    The problem with Manziel is that his style means he's going to take a pounding. Injuries are my main concern with him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The problem with Manziel is that his style means he's going to take a pounding. Injuries are my main concern with him.
    I agree, but russell wilson is very smart about sliding and not taking a beating. Im sure bevell will make a film of all of wilson's heady slides and running out of bounds and really drill it into manziels head.