Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno's Last 5 Games

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Please stop, who were E J's big weapons today ? This is what Smith is, that's why he dropped to the second round. again we could easily be 3 -7 if not for the 2 calls we got earlier this season. What would everyone be saying about Geno then ?
    well since most smart football people has us # 32 out of 32 with only 2 wins, I guess Geno did pretty good with 3 wins!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    His numbers in the last 5 games (ever since the awesome game against Atlanta) are:

76/139 (54.7%), 811 yards (5.8 ypa, 10.6 ypc, and 162.5 ypg), 1 TD, 8 INTs

18 carries, 66 yards, 2 TDs, 5 fumbles (1 lost)

It's still far too early to give up on him, so I'm glad Rex has already named him as next week's starter. I still put most of the blame on the pieces around him. Just think about how bad today would have been if we still didn't have Holmes. Stephen Hill was targeted 7 times and came away with 0 catches. That's our #2 receiver. Everyone saw how little time he had to throw today as well.

Ever since Rex decided that we were a potential playoff team, the gameplans have been noticeably more conservative. I think this has had a tremendous negative impact on Geno's development. We don't open it up until we're down, and that's when the margin of error is smallest.

Another factor also must be that defensive coordinators have been able to identify his strengths and weaknesses. They saw the success he was having with vertical routes early in the season. They've taken that away from him now. I've also noticed more zone blitzes and blitzing DBs (which started in the Pittsburgh game).

Geno has the physical tools, so you must give him more time, but the most important ability for a QB remains the ability to read a defense, both before and after the snap. That's what Sanchez never learned how to do, and that's what Geno is struggling with right now. If improvement isn't shown before the end of the year then we're probably looking at taking another QB pretty early in next year's draft.
    Excellent point right there.

The only reason why I have more hope for Geno than I did for Sanchez is b.c he has all the physical tools and has shown an ability to battle through adversity. Things just used to snowball on Sanchez. But I am beginning to sympathize with Sanchez b.c the dearth of talent we have on offense is embarrassing. We have one player, Holmes, that is capable of winning his matchups on a consistent basis but even he is not a mismatch b.c of his size. My biggest fear is that we are going to burn through QB after QB b.c we simply do not provide them with an environment they can flourish in.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Please stop, who were E J's big weapons today ? This is what Smith is, that's why he dropped to the second round. again we could easily be 3 -7 if not for the 2 calls we got earlier this season. What would everyone be saying about Geno then ?
    Smith's receivers were getting open. Whether they are brand name receivers or not didn't matter today. His weapons won their matchups against our DBs and LBs. He was throwing to open guys all day.

And his OL was giving him time to throw. We had very little pass rush today.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Excellent point right there.

The only reason why I have more hope for Geno than I did for Sanchez is b.c he has all the physical tools and has shown an ability to battle through adversity. Things just used to snowball on Sanchez. But I am beginning to sympathize with Sanchez b.c the dearth of talent we have on offense is embarrassing. We have one player, Holmes, that is capable of winning his matchups on a consistent basis but even he is not a mismatch b.c of his size. My biggest fear is that we are going to burn through QB after QB b.c we simply do not provide them with an environment they can flourish in.
    No problem , maybe next year we can draft some more Dlinemen to shore up that unit , offense we don't need a stinking offense.

Another way to look at it is that other teams have tape on Geno and have figured him out. We still have a shot. If Garrard is healthy I wouldn't have a problem starting him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    No problem , maybe next year we can draft some more Dlinemen to shore up that unit , offense we don't need a stinking offense.
    We are never going to have a good offense until we invest high draft picks in it. Our DL is good b.c we have 3 first rounders on it. Sure we could get lucky and find a gem WR late in the draft but that is unlikely.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Another way to look at it is that other teams have tape on Geno and have figured him out. We still have a shot. If Garrard is healthy I wouldn't have a problem starting him.
    This is definitely part of it. But then it is on us to make the adjustments and we have clearly not done that.

Practice Squad
    Smith's receivers were getting open. Whether they are brand name receivers or not didn't matter today. His weapons won their matchups against our DBs and LBs. He was throwing to open guys all day.

I presume you mean Manuel when you say 'Smith'?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    I presume you mean Manuel when you say 'Smith'?
    I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

Veteran
    I saw stop playing the conservative game with Smith. You're only wasting him if you keep going to run plays every other down. You either win or lose with
    your quarterback, so play him!

Jets Insider VIP

DDNY: Mike 309 has his own agenda. He is opposed to Geno and he never sees anything good in him. Of course you are right. Manuel had lots of time to set and throw. He had no pressure on him at all. Our CBs were less then adequate. The linebackers were quiet all game long! Mike will never see this. But you are right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    DDNY: Mike 309 has his own agenda. He is opposed to Geno and he never sees anything good in him. Of course you are right. Manuel had lots of time to set and throw. He had no pressure on him at all. Our CBs were less then adequate. The linebackers were quiet all game long! Mike will never see this. But you are right!
    I have seen Geno do some nice things… However 20 turnovers in 10 games… Over the last several games he has been very underwhelming. Either the Jets sign a FA this offseason or draft yet another QB project… While I am not a huge Rex supporter, it would have been interesting to see what he could have accomplished with just an average QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I have seen Geno do some nice things… However 20 turnovers in 10 games… Over the last several games he has been very underwhelming. Either the Jets sign a FA this offseason or draft yet another QB project… While I am not a huge Rex supporter, it would have been interesting to see what he could have accomplished with just an average QB.
    I do not disagree with you. I am concerned that he is repeating his earlier mistakes. I think his confidence is shot and he needs to sit for a few games. But the offensive game plans have been underwhelming. Its possibly REX's doing with the Ground and Pound . Geno has not thrown deep in quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I do not disagree with you. I am concerned that he is repeating his earlier mistakes. I think his confidence is shot and he needs to sit for a few games.
    As a fan you want to believe that you are heading in the right direction… Our failure to get a reasonable QB is going to haunt us as our O Line begins to age. Jets really need one solid FA signing at WR, a phenomenal 2014 draft, and a retread at QB until one falls into our laps...

Rookie
    Almost every throw was sailing on Geno today. Further he had no touch today, throwing either too hard or too soft. The OL wasn't great today but it wasn't terrible either. This loss was all on Geno. He might be able to make all the throws but he's not making them. If he needs a dome or something to play well then NYJ is not the team for him.

I'm thankful that he's only a second rounder so we can cut bait if this crappy play continues. Rookie or no rookie his turn over rate is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Rex should install a two TO rule. Anything more than one TO in a half then it's next QB up, rinse and repeat. Hell, we've got two more so let's use them. It can't be any worse. Hey Geno, can you say inadequate?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Almost every throw was sailing on Geno today. Further he had no touch today, throwing either too hard or too soft. The OL wasn't great today but it wasn't terrible either. This loss was all on Geno. He might be able to make all the throws but he's not making them. If he needs a dome or something to play well then NYJ is not the team for him.

I'm thankful that he's only a second rounder so we can cut bait if this crappy play continues. Rookie or no rookie his turn over rate is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Rex should install a two TO rule. Anything more than one TO in a half then it's next QB up, rinse and repeat. Hell, we've got two more so let's use them. It can't be any worse. Hey Geno, can you say inadequate?
    Not that it's an excuse or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if he was hurt after that hit after the third play of the first drive that Simms came in on. And wouldn't be surprised if there's an announcement that he's injured or bruised and Simms has to start

Rex?

Ryan will always have the same problem. He's too eager to thrust the offense off on somebody else. Maybe I'm not aware, but it doesn't seem like Rex hires offensive coordinators he has a relationship with and then bows out of the offensive side of the ball. That won't cut it. Rex actually seems to believe he doesn't need an offense which is why he should not be a head coach.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Not that it's an excuse or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if he was hurt after that hit after the third play of the first drive that Simms came in on. And wouldn't be surprised if there's an announcement that he's injured or bruised and Simms has to start
    If that turns out to be the case then they should DEFINITELY have sat him much sooner with a built in excuse like that in hand. Rex has always been too slow to pull the trigger IMHO.

I think that it's safe to say that if throughout the rest of the season, Geno continues to play the way he has recently then the Jets will be looking for a QB in the offseason. With that said though, he deserves the rest of the season to prove to us and Idzik whether he can make the right decisions with the football and get us into the playoffs.
    Last edited by BigRy923; 11-17-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why , we can only say things here if its to pump up our overated HC .
    Yep!!!

Now Pipe Down!!!