Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill is our Gholston on offense

While half this thread is nonsense, the Hill discussion is absolutely pertinent as he is a big reason our offense is not what it should be.

Was he held on the play where the ball bounced off his hand, yes, but should he have caught it anyway, YES.

I know he is a developmental player coming from the GTech offense. I know he has played with poor (sanchez) and young (Geno) QBs, but he is 6'4, 215 lbs who runs a 4.3 40, he needs to simply GET OPEN!

I know he is "working hard" to become a better receiver, but its getting to the point where who cares. Get on the field, beat the CB with your god-given physical skills, get your hand up, and MAKE Marty and Geno see that you are open. Great receivers WANT the ball, and i honestly don't know if Hill really wants the ball thrown to him. For all the complaints about what an a$$hole players like Dez Bryant are (and no I'm not comparing hill to him as a player), the reason they are like that is they WANT the ball. There was a full article written today that Hill is content as a blocker and will wait his turn - what player that truly wants to be dominant says that?

As it stands today, there isn't a single defensive coordinator in the league that is afraid of hill, and if you want proof, look at the saints film where Rexs own brother left him in single coverage all day, and we didn't even take one shot….he needs to decide whether or not he wants to be a player in this league, and we need that decision now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-sec125 View Post
    You don't pick projects in the 2nd round genius.
    Colin Kaepernick??? He was picked in the second round, specifically highlighted as a project.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    How about somebody posts a successful project pick… Tebow, White, Hill… That is why you don't do it. They never work out.
    Kaepernick has been quite successful, although he has struggled as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Kaepernick has been quite successful, although he has struggled as of late.

And he didn't start right away… Took time to learn the game and then got inserted last year. We keep throwing guys who are not prepared to the wolves and ruining them...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    And he didn't start right away… Took time to learn the game and then got inserted last year. We keep throwing guys who are not prepared to the wolves and ruining them...
    What were we supposed to do? Sanchez got injured.

What were we supposed to do? Sanchez got injured.
    Hindsight is 20/20 but they should not have let Geno compete for the starting job…Let Sanchez take lumps for another year. Because of the competition Sanchez was in during garbage time of a meaningless preseason game. At the very least give Geno a week off to compose himself. This team is not built to make any noise in the playoffs. If you want to keep any hope of developing the guy he needs to watch a bit from the sideline.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Hill is truly a god awful football player.
    Agreed. Poor hands. Doesn't separate. Passive when the ball is in the air. Can't block. He really shouldn't even be on the field. The backups the Jets signed off the street are better.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 11-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    That's why I was arguing for Alshon Jeffrey who went the very next pick......A much more polished WR who dominated SEC competition at times

And whadda ya know....he's looking really good in year 2 for the Bears

But he was 10 pounds overweight in the offseason or something, even though he ran well at his pro day
    Alshon also has the luxury of playing alongside a Top 3 WR and having a Top 10 QB throwing the ball to him.

Many WRs turn the corner in year three.

This year Hill has gotten over his problem with dropping passes.

Whether his current problem is route running, getting jammed at the line, or communication with his QB he still has a chance to get better before we have to make a decision about resigning him.

At this point I am just hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Many WRs turn the corner in year three.

This year Hill has gotten over his problem with dropping passes.

Whether his current problem is route running, getting jammed at the line, or communication with his QB he still has a chance to get better before we have to make a decision about resigning him.

At this point I am just hoping for the best.

The Bills jammed the crap out of our guys today… Really hurt not have a true slot receiver … Hill got manhandled on a few plays. Pettine had a great game plan. I really thought the Jets should have gone with an up tempo offense so that Pettine could not be given the luxury of dialing up blitzes. As down as I am on Geno, I really don't think that we are doing him any favors with the offensive game plans the past few weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    If Ducasse was a home improvement project he would be something like this....

Attachment 4993
    Always a classy move by the owner of this site. Not like Sandy devastated members of this board or anything like that...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Might want to blame the guy throwing the ball, before the WR

Geno is terrible

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Always a classy move by the owner of this site. Not like Sandy devastated members of this board or anything like that...
    Wow.....You're way too sensitive to be a jets fan.

Hall Of Fame
    WHAT?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Alshon also has the luxury of playing alongside a Top 3 WR and having a Top 10 QB throwing the ball to him.
    Cutler is not a top 10 qb.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Cutler is not a top 10 qb.
    He isn't??? I wouldn't call him top 5, but top 10 yes.

Stephen Hill is a slightly better version of Limas Sweed.

All Pro
    hmmm Stephen Hill's starting qbs have been Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy and now Geno Smith. Cut the kid some slack.

This is the problem with this board (and I am a person who had a home destroyed in sandy). Not for one second did I think of the hurricane when I saw that post - we are on page 3 of this thread, and there are about 7 or 8 coherent comments about Hills issues, role on the team, and how it affects the offense.

Would be nice to be able to talk about football on a football site.

All Pro
    He isn't??? I wouldn't call him top 5, but top 10 yes.
    Manning, brady, brees, rodgers, rivers, romo, eli, luck, rg3, ryan, newton, rothlisberger. Ill stop there but i could prob come up w/ a few more if i tried.