Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Games In, Geno Smith and the Future of the NY Jets QB Position

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

10 Games In, Geno Smith and the Future of the NY Jets QB Position

This is my personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

I have not seen enough, overall, from Geno Smith to consider him a starter for 2014 without competition. While I respect the fact that he is a rookie, and rookie mistakes are to be expected/understood, his quality of play, his lack of protection of the ball (turnovers) and the quality of his decision making has been lacking, and I have yet to see any material development/improvement in his play as the season has rolled on to this point.

I also appreciate that his skill-position talent is not superior, and that this factor must be taken into consideration as well.

With that said, barring an unforseen material increase in the quality of his play, it is my opinion that the Jets would be making a mistake if they do not seriously consider drafting a first-round QB in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Personally, I do not at this time "believe" in Geno Smith developing into a Franchise-type QB. It is my opinion that he lacks key components in decision making and ball handing that will be very difficult for him to overcome or grow out of. I also believe that it is against the odds that a QB will come in and play as poorly as Geno Smith has, only to turn it around to become a franchise QB. The rare exception can (Manning, for example), but Geno Smith is no Peyton Manning in my view.

As such, if I were the GM of the Jets, and the level of play by Smith remained at it's current level, I would persue the best possible/available QB in the 2014 Draft, and would start the 2014 season with an open-camp competition between the new rookie and Geno Smith. If play from now till then warranted it, I would also provide an opportunity for Simms as well, but I doubt he will have earned such an opportunity.

I would also strongly lean towards the Offensive Skill positions in the offseason free agent and draft markets. Major improvements will be required at the WR position, with at least 1 starter to be replaced (Holmes), and one starter to be in a "perform of be gone" situation (Hill). Of the current crop, only Kerley would have my confidence going into 2014, as the #3/Slot WR. TE and RB remain (IMO) below average, and could also do with upgrades if available. Whomever wins the 2014 QB job will do so with an improved cast that Smith has this season, or else the Jets will have made another serious mistake in organizational planning.

And to be clear, I would not lament the firing of Rex Ryan....IF and ONLY IF.....a suitable, superior replacement is available. Change for change sake is not a Championship direction. Change for material improvement of weak points, while maintaining current strong points is change worth believing in and supporting. The right, superior, candidate must be available for us to make a move....but if he is, then yes, we should make the move.

This is how I feel today, the culmination of the events of the season to-date. I appreciate that others will not share this viewpoint, believing me too critical, or too uncritical perhaps, as they see things. This is only my view on things.

Geno Smith, today, is not the answer at QB, and we must continue to persue the answer with every means neccessary until someone arrives who does show they have that potential. I am not selling Smith fully, he would be given a full, fair chance in 2014. But he would get that chance with another QB of equaivalent or superior potential competing against him.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-18-2013 at 11:10 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will be picking no better than mid-teens and will not have a realistic shot at the likely top 3 QB prospects. Any guy we would be able to take where we are drafting would only marginally at best be a better QB prospect than Geno Smith was last season. Which means you better prepare yourself for another year of what could be these exact same growing pains if you want to start a rookie QB again next year. Are you ready for that? You seem to be a little impatient, so my guess is you would not handle that well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with pretty much everything. I would consider getting simms some meaningful reps and if Geno looks terrible again next week, strong consideration should be given to Simms getting some starts. Geno has looked just terrible, he looks even worse than sanchez did as a rookie. Unless Geno or Simms look amazing from here on out, then we absolutely have to draft a QB in round one next yr.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    We will be picking no better than mid-teens and will not have a realistic shot at the likely top 3 QB prospects.
    I do not agree. Trades up are always possible, and if the player is right, future picks or current players in areas of strength may be worth moving to aquire the right QB.

For example, we have all-pro at every spot on the D-line. But a D-Line will not win a Super Bowl. A QB will.

Any guy we would be able to take where we are drafting would only marginally at best be a better QB prospect than Geno Smith was last season. Which means you better prepare yourself for another year of what could be these exact same growing pains if you want to start a rookie QB again next year. Are you ready for that?
    Yes, IF the newly aquired QB (or Smith) can show that he is growing and developing into a Franchise-Level QB. If not, then no, we pick another in 2015.

You seem to be a little impatient, so my guess is you would not handle that well.
    If I were impatient, I would not be a Jets Fan, as 30 years of dissapointment is enough to cure most impatient people of their loyalty.

If I see the potential, I can be patient. I was patient with Snachez till his third year. I was patient with Herm, with Rex, etc.

I am not patient wit a QB who I believe lacks superior talent to the player he replaced, and thus far, in my view, Smith is a veritable clone of the problems of Sanchez, decision making, pocket awareness, ball handling and turnovers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything. I would consider getting simms some meaningful reps and if Geno looks terrible again next week, strong consideration should be given to Simms getting some starts. Geno has looked just terrible, he looks even worse than sanchez did as a rookie. Unless Geno or Simms look amazing from here on out, then we absolutely have to draft a QB in round one next yr.
    Drafting a QB in round 1, aside from the fact that we won't get any of the "sure thing" prospects, means we are ignoring other areas of the team that are in dire need of upgrade (WR, for one). There's an opportunity cost associated with the pick that I think fans lose sight of, and I think fans automatically assume that we would take a QB in the first round of next year's draft and he would immediately be a good player with no chance of being a bust.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Geno is garbage

We have no choice but continue the crusade of finding this teams QB of the future

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafting a QB in round 1, aside from the fact that we won't get any of the "sure thing" prospects, means we are ignoring other areas of the team that are in dire need of upgrade (WR, for one). There's an opportunity cost associated with the pick that I think fans lose sight of, and I think fans automatically assume that we would take a QB in the first round of next year's draft and he would immediately be a good player with no chance of being a bust.
    Is QB not a dire need of upgrade for this team?

It's either keep taking shots in the draft or sign a veteran in FA. (Schaub? Vick?)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Geno is garbage

We have no choice but continue the crusade of finding this teams QB of the future
    Geno can make all the throws, but maybe his instincts are off a bit. I'm not sold on him either way. But I agree, major competition is needed in 2014. I want a tough minded QB who is a winner and has won big games. Manziel?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone looks Garbage when they get hit every time they throw and take a huge hit early (he literally collapsed on the field). We celebrate when our D makes top Qbs look bad, but crucify our QBs when they have a poor game. Geno took a physical whooping yesterday long before the first pick and forget ball security, there is a reason they call it the blindside.

It happens. Especially when you have a rookie QB and don't help them out. Not saying that you dont take a top QB if its BPA, but think the weekly mood swings of this board on our QB are over the top...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafting a QB in round 1, aside from the fact that we won't get any of the "sure thing" prospects
    Again, discounting the possabillity of trading up is artificially limiting our potential. We have picks, we have talent of Defense, that can both be moved IF the QB is the right QB.

....means we are ignoring other areas of the team that are in dire need of upgrade (WR, for one).
    Unless we pull a Ditka, and trade an entire draft for a QB, this is incorrect.

We will have cap space created by the departure of Sanchez (and hopefully Holmes), free agency, and picks throughout the rest of teh draft to aquire 2-3 new WR's to bolster that skill positions. Likely one BAP via FA, one BAP via the draft in Round 2.

There's an opportunity cost associated with the pick that I think fans lose sight of
    Not at all, if Smith were a potential franche QB it's a no-brainer to draft him all support.

Are you saying you see franchise QB potential from him through this point? If so, please explain what you're seeing other than his arm strength that would justify such optimism.

and I think fans automatically assume that we would take a QB in the first round of next year's draft and he would immediately be a good player with no chance of being a bust.
    Every pick can be a bust pick. Everyone should know that going in.

But it should be remembered that Geno Smith was a pick of opportunity, not preference. We chose him because he fell, and we had already pciked twice in round 1. He was never a preference-must-get-him QB prospect for us.

As such, the possabillity (at lest) of selecting a high-potential QB in the draft should at the very least be explored.

The NFL today is a 100% QB-driven league. You will not win consitently without a top-tier QB, and you will never win a Championship without a close-to-elite-or-elite QB.

Till we have such a QB, the other positions are all window dressing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    Everyone looks Garbage when they get hit every time they throw and take a huge hit early (he literally collapsed on the field). We celebrate when our D makes top Qbs look bad, but crucify our QBs when they have a poor game. Geno took a physical whooping yesterday long before the first pick and forget ball security, there is a reason they call it the blindside.

It happens. Especially when you have a rookie QB and don't help them out. Not saying that you dont take a top QB if its BPA, but think the weekly mood swings of this board on our QB are over the top...
    Since ATL game Smith has 1 TD and 9 Turnovers...it's not just 1 game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never wanted Revis gone, but I said from the jump, if he were traded I wanted Tampa's 2014 first pick. Oh well.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything you wrote. Well said.

Geno Smith was a 2nd round pick and our third player selected. It was worth taking a flyer. But we did not get married on draft day. As far as I'm concerned, Millner's development is far more problematic...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    While I have to put a lot of blame on the OL yesterday, I also think it's a real wake up call about Geno Smith. QB competition is a must in 2014.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Since ATL game Smith has 1 TD and 9 Turnovers...it's not just 1 game.
    He is slumping, it happens. He may not recover, but the season isn't over yet and given public opinion on the kid changes every 7 days, I just think we wait till January and make a call then...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If A.J. McCarron is there, run the card to the podium.

As to the point being made about yesterday and Geno having "no time", I get that. But in week 3, E.J. Manuel was sacked 8 Times and hit over and over, and still didn't throw a pick or lose a fumble.

How long does Geno get to suck? 4 years like Sanchez? Do we invest another year into his "development"? Hes 10 games in, and looks no better than he did in pre-season. Thats not a good sign.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Is QB not a dire need of upgrade for this team?

It's either keep taking shots in the draft or sign a veteran in FA. (Schaub? Vick?)
    Schaub or Vick?

LMAO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Schaub or Vick?

LMAO
    Well, that's my point. What the hell are our options? I'd rather sign one of those guys then a FA like Matt f'n Flynn. But point is, options are slim so you have to look to the draft even if you have to trade away future picks.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should've trades our second round pick for another Smith: Alex Smith.

Geno has had his moments but nothing to say he should be the guaranteed starter in 2014. Either a free agent or a draft pick. Whatever or whoever we can get to push Geno and make him better or is a better option I am all for it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Future:

2014 First Round Draft Pick