Thread: Jetting in for the Miami game - tips needed

Jetting in for the Miami game - tips needed

I was told last night that as a birthday present my missus has brought me and the son-in-law tickets for the Jets v Dolphins game on 1st Dec. We will be flying in from London, England on Thursday 28th and will have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday before returning home on Monday 2nd.

I've followed The Jets since the sack exchange days, when football was first covered regularly on UK TV, and have seen NFL games played in London but this will be my first Jets match.

We've got a hotel in Clifton and seats in section 110. I'm just looking out for Jets bars in the area so that we can get some build-up and atmosphere. Also what's the protocol with Tail-Gaiting on match days? Do people sell beer & dogs or is it all private?

Also are there stadium tours that we could go on even at this short notice?

Looking forward so much to this. Any advice or guidance would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chilts View Post
    I was told last night that as a birthday present my missus has brought me and the son-in-law tickets for the Jets v Dolphins game on 1st Dec. We will be flying in from London, England on Thursday 28th and will have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday before returning home on Monday 2nd.

I've followed The Jets since the sack exchange days, when football was first covered regularly on UK TV, and have seen NFL games played in London but this will be my first Jets match.

We've got a hotel in Clifton and seats in section 110. I'm just looking out for Jets bars in the area so that we can get some build-up and atmosphere. Also what's the protocol with Tail-Gaiting on match days? Do people sell beer & dogs or is it all private?

Looking forward so much to this. Any advice or guidance would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
    My advice is bring a QB & a few WRs.

Seriously, that is a very cool gift. As for a tour, I went on one and it was good. Call the Jets, tell them you are from England and flying in for the game. Ask what they can do for you. Gush about the team and ask about a tour and any chance that you could have a once in a lifetime opportunity to be on the field before the game.

Don't be afraid to nicely push hard for it.

Hope you have a great time.

All Pro

My only advice is to call it a "game" and not a "match". Hope you guys have a great trip and the Jets win for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    My advice is skip the game and take in a broadway show or shoot down to AC. I think this game is going to be real real bad. Perfect set up everyone thinks we always win one lose one all year. No not this time not this week this is the ny Jets MO this is the week they bring the real pain to the fans

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I would bet you could get a tour of the stadium if you contact the team's PSL sales group directly. Explain you're a longtime foreign fan in the country for the first time, I know I had a tour when I bought my seats I'm not sure if they still do it or not but it's worth a shot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

First off, why Clifton? If you're coming in to the NY area, stay in Manhattan and take in the NYC sites. You can probably get a hotel for not too much more than what you're paying now and you can always take the train/bus to the game. You don't need to stay in NJ for convenient access to the game. And if you do stay in NJ, you will have to rent a car or otherwise deal with transportation that will be a pain.

As for Jet bars, you don't really need one - you'll be at the game and there aren't many "Jet themed bars" where a J-E-T-S chant will suppontaneously break out on non-game days.

As far as tailgating, check out tailgate joe. He puts together a very nice tailgate -including AYCE and AYCD - for one price. Best option for folks who aren't bringing their own setup.

+1 on staying in Manhattan.
    Or at least Hoboken, then you can still take the Path Train across the river to the city.
    Clifton is gonna handicap what you can do.
    You'll save the money needed for a car rental and won't pay much more for a room in Hoboken/Manhattan.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

On the basis of that the hotel booking has been changed giving greater access to NYC and meaning less travelling all ways round - so thanks for that.

If you do see two Londoners walking around with stupid grins on their faces on game day it will be Chilts and Tom and we will be very glad to be there. Say Hi to us J-E-T-S !!!!
    Last edited by chilts; 11-22-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    As far as tailgating, check out tailgate joe. He puts together a very nice tailgate -including AYCE and AYCD - for one price. Best option for folks who aren't bringing their own setup.
    http://www.tailgatejoe.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    My advice is bring a QB & a few WRs.
    Judging by last night's offensive shambles you have a point I'm hopeful that home-field advantage might make a difference otherwise our chances of seeing a Jets TD look to be diminishing!! Never mind - it's the experience that counts. Thanks for the tail-gaiting tip. I'll reach out to him.

Here's a tip, save your money. This team sucks!

No too late for that. I've had 20+ years of it via TV / Internet so I know it will be a complete let down as far as the result is concerned. Anyway it's not my money - it's hers :-)

No too late for that. I've had 20+ years of it via TV / Internet so I know it will be a complete let down as far as the result is concerned. Anyway it's not my money - it's hers :-)
    Haha, I like your style.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Haha, I like your style.

Enjoy.
    GO TO A HEAT GAME. ENJOY WINNING AND HOW IT FEELS.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    GO TO A HEAT GAME. ENJOY WINNING AND HOW IT FEELS.
    Yeah that was helpful.
    The game is @ MetLife, numbnuts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Yeah that was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Yeah that was helpful.
    No I think you were more helpful. Thanks for the post. SH+Thead.

Well we all know what happened during the game.......... but other than the result the trip was fantastic. Queens (Bayside) was great to drink and hang out in and Manhattan was good for the sights and touristy bit. It was so easy to get about on The Long Island Railroad and The New Jersey Transit. The game-day experience was real fun and it's an awesome stadium. It was also good to see the team walk in - not seen anything like that before. I'd heard New York is a tough crowd but I thought the people round us in section 109 / 110 who were dissing the kid singing the anthem were a bit harsh though It was a 10 / 10 time and we are looking to make an annual game-day visit from now on.

One surprise was the extent to which fans of both teams mingle and sit together even though there's a rivalry. It's all tribal and segregated in UK football (soccer) otherwise people start fighting each other (mad I know but there it is). So now knowing that we may well go on the road when The Jets play in a city we'd like to visit (Washington would be great) otherwise we'll be very happy to return to New York next season.

Thanks to those who helped us out. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by chilts; 12-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Well we all know what happened during the game.......... but other than the result the trip was a great experience. Queens (Bayside) was great to drink and hang out in and Manhattan was good for the sights and touristy bit. Real fun and looking to make an annual game-day visit from now on.

One surprise was the extent to which fans of both teams mingle and sit together even though there's a rivalry. It's all tribal and segregated in UK football (soccer) otherwise people start fighting each other (mad I know but there it is). So now knowing that we may well go on the road when The Jets play in a city we'd like to visit (Washington would be great) otherwise we're very happy to return to New York next season.
    If it's any consolation to you I wanted to crack that jackass in the Dolphins jersey talking crap all game behind me but decided I didn't want to get arrested in front of my wife, son, and nephew. lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Well we all know what happened during the game.......... but other than the result the trip was a great experience. Queens (Bayside) was great to drink and hang out in and Manhattan was good for the sights and touristy bit. Real fun and looking to make an annual game-day visit from now on.

One surprise was the extent to which fans of both teams mingle and sit together even though there's a rivalry. It's all tribal and segregated in UK football (soccer) otherwise people start fighting each other (mad I know but there it is). So now knowing that we may well go on the road when The Jets play in a city we'd like to visit (Washington would be great) otherwise we're very happy to return to New York next season.

I'd like to apologise on behalf of our crappy franchise for the result of this game.