Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: bradway and his scouts

  1. #1

    bradway and his scouts

    the answer for the future of the jets is as follows.look how many bust draft picks have the jets had in the past.why the jets keep a loser like bradway and his cronies on the payroll is unbelievable.the heart and soul of any nfl organizaeion starts with scouting system.which the jets have shown to be lackluster.i hope that the jets see the handwriting on the wall and make major changes.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,469
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    the answer for the future of the jets is as follows.look how many bust draft picks have the jets had in the past.why the jets keep a loser like bradway and his cronies on the payroll is unbelievable.the heart and soul of any nfl organizaeion starts with scouting system.which the jets have shown to be lackluster.i hope that the jets see the handwriting on the wall and make major changes.
    If the GM doesn't take your advice it doesn't matter what you advised.. BTW Bradway loved Russell Wilson and Idzik decided to keep him so maybe he's not as bad as you think..

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If the GM doesn't take your advice it doesn't matter what you advised.. BTW Bradway loved Russell Wilson and Idzik decided to keep him so maybe he's not as bad as you think..
    If Bradway Loves Johnny Manziel even more than he loved Wilson, then you gotta go get him.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,909
    I think Bradway and the scouts have largely done a very good job. Sure, we have the occasional Gholston, etc. but we have done a good job drafting. Our biggest problem is that Tannenbaum traded away a lot of picks so we didn't have a lot of bullets in the gun some years when it came time to draft players. Richardson looks like a great pick this year, the jury is out on Milliner but Geno was an appropriate gamble halfway through Round 2 (didn't even trade up 1 spot). When the Jets did trade up it was to get a player like Sanchez (meh!) and Revis (pick of the decade at #14).

    I like Bradway. Bad GM, very good scout!

    And as was stated above he practically pounded the table saying Draft Russell Wilson!

  5. #5
    Can we just get a OB who can read a defense and not turn the ball over 20 times a season

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,840
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Can we just get a OB who can read a defense and not turn the ball over 20 times a season
    Obviously we cannot.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,702
    This type of thread ALWAYS HAPPENS after a loss. Stop crying and realize that a new GM came in and DIDN'T blow
    up the scouting staff. Which means Idzik did his research and liked the reports Bradway and his crew filed on recent
    drafts

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    If Bradway Loves Johnny Manziel even more than he loved Wilson, then you gotta go get him.
    If he is on the board when we pick in the 3rd sure.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think Bradway and the scouts have largely done a very good job. Sure, we have the occasional Gholston, etc. but we have done a good job drafting. Our biggest problem is that Tannenbaum traded away a lot of picks so we didn't have a lot of bullets in the gun some years when it came time to draft players. Richardson looks like a great pick this year, the jury is out on Milliner but Geno was an appropriate gamble halfway through Round 2 (didn't even trade up 1 spot). When the Jets did trade up it was to get a player like Sanchez (meh!) and Revis (pick of the decade at #14).

    I like Bradway. Bad GM, very good scout!

    And as was stated above he practically pounded the table saying Draft Russell Wilson!
    Agreed. I am OK with Bradway in his current role. By and large, we have been a pretty solid drafting team. Complete busts like Gholston water things down a bit, but that is a single miss that has a greater impact due to draft slot and the contract (at the time). I didn't love Geno in this draft, but where we were in round 2, I did not mind the gamble at all. With the way the NFL is today, QB is absolutely everything. It's worth it to take a flyer every single year on a QB until you have found your franchise guy. Add to that the new rookie contracts that don't saddle you with HUGE guaranteed money to a guy who has never taken a snap before, and you have to take the chance given the impact one player can have at that position.

    The way I look at it, I think there are more teams that would trade their drafts with us than not, over the past X years.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    This type of thread ALWAYS HAPPENS after a loss. Stop crying and realize that a new GM came in and DIDN'T blow
    up the scouting staff. Which means Idzik did his research and liked the reports Bradway and his crew filed on recent
    drafts
    That too, it's not so much who we DID draft, but who did Bradway & Co. like that we DIDN'T pick for whatever reason. We know Wilson is one, how many others are in the archives that we don't know about? He can only control the talent evaluation in his role, it's up to the guys above him who actually make the personnel decision.

  11. #11
    Part of the fault of the picks is that the Gm (Tanny) had a philosophy of assumed quality over quantity. The problem with that if you use that model all the time is that you MUST hit on that pick you trade up for almost all the time. The Jets needed to at least go the other route for some years and pick later round quantity for perceived quality because that insulates you against bust picks.

    If you double down like the Jets have done at times for instance at safety (Rhodes/Maddox - Bush/Allen) you increase the chances of getting a starter but perhaps not a pro bowler. It comes to a point where your depth and starting quality players falls off badly if you just go for the home run like Tanny did so often. That and his foolish disregard of the value of later round picks.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If the GM doesn't take your advice it doesn't matter what you advised.. BTW Bradway loved Russell Wilson and Idzik decided to keep him so maybe he's not as bad as you think..

    Yes, because one opinion wipes out 12 years of complete idiocy. Please. Bradway made some good picks but on the whole he was (and is) a disaster. I never heard of Idzik before he was hired, but to me the one huge red flag was that he didn't completely gut the front office, especially Bradway. Here's a guy who was part of 2 failed regimes (his own, which somehow he survived, then Tanny's) and why you would continue employing him in a position of huge responsibility is beyond me. If I had to guess, I'd say Woody probably prevented Idzik from firing him (same as he did with Rex). The owner is the big problem with this organization and unfortunately we are stuck with him for many years to come.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,207
    Some of you guys absolutely have NO IDEA what you're talking about and are the reason why the National Media depicts Jets fans as crying complainers and self-loathers. Idzik COMPLETELY reshuffled the Scouting & Personnel depts. The fact he ONLY kept Terry Bradway - HORRIBLE "contract GM" like Tanny, but NO ONE EVER doubted his talent and passion for scouting. SMARTEN UP OR DON'T TYPE!


    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    This type of thread ALWAYS HAPPENS after a loss. Stop crying and realize that a new GM came in and DIDN'T blow
    up the scouting staff
    . Which means Idzik did his research and liked the reports Bradway and his crew filed on recent
    drafts
    While I always appreciate your POV, observations, and contributions to JI, I believe you are incorrect on this one. Idzik DID pretty much blow up the scouting dept and the entire personnel dept:

    "Jets turned within today to name Jeff Bauer, their long-time college scout, as director of college scouting to replace Joey Clinkscales" - Jets Website

    "also added Kevin Kelly, who has been an area scout with the Indianapolis Colts, to their college scouting operation." - Jets Website

    "In what could be a prelude to a larger shakeup in player personnel, John Idzik made his first two changes to the Jets’ scouting department. The team will not retain Michael Davis, the assistant director of college scouting, and an area scout, Joe Bommarito, who was primarily responsible for the West Coast. Idzik had retained the scouts he inherited after being hired in January to preserve continuity as the Jets prepared for last week’s draft. But with the draft over, it is likely that Idzik will revamp the Jets’ player personnel department and select his own people." - NYT


    "The New York Jets, continuing to restructure their front office under new general manager John Idzik, hired former Arizona Cardinals GM Rod Graves Monday as the senior director of football administration . . . Since replacing Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired after the season, Idzik has overhauled the front office, the scouting department and the roster.

    The Jets parted ways with three executives, including assistant general manager Scott Cohen. Graves will step into the role of second in command.

    The Jets also announced the hiring of Matt Bazirgan as the assistant director of pro personnel. Previously, he was an area scout. Rick Courtright was named the national college scout.

    Idzik also had to replace four college scouts, two of whom were let go. He named four new scouts, including former Jets and Houston Texans cornerback Aaron Glenn, who spent last season with the Jets as a pro scout. The other new scouts are David Boller, David Hinson and Christopher Prescott.

    Of Tannenbaum's closest advisers, only three survived the front-office shakeup, including former GM and current senior personnel executive Terry Bradway. - ESPN


    Game. Set. Match.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,774
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think Bradway and the scouts have largely done a very good job. Sure, we have the occasional Gholston, etc. but we have done a good job drafting. Our biggest problem is that Tannenbaum traded away a lot of picks so we didn't have a lot of bullets in the gun some years when it came time to draft players. Richardson looks like a great pick this year, the jury is out on Milliner but Geno was an appropriate gamble halfway through Round 2 (didn't even trade up 1 spot). When the Jets did trade up it was to get a player like Sanchez (meh!) and Revis (pick of the decade at #14).

    I like Bradway. Bad GM, very good scout!

    And as was stated above he practically pounded the table saying Draft Russell Wilson!
    Geno was a great 2nd round pick. He was not NFL ready in game 1, but the Jets needed him. He would have been a great pick to sit on the bench for a while and learn.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yes, because one opinion wipes out 12 years of complete idiocy. Please. Bradway made some good picks but on the whole he was (and is) a disaster. I never heard of Idzik before he was hired, but to me the one huge red flag was that he didn't completely gut the front office, especially Bradway. Here's a guy who was part of 2 failed regimes (his own, which somehow he survived, then Tanny's) and why you would continue employing him in a position of huge responsibility is beyond me. If I had to guess, I'd say Woody probably prevented Idzik from firing him (same as he did with Rex). The owner is the big problem with this organization and unfortunately we are stuck with him for many years to come.

    DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND READ MY POST ABOVE - YOU SHAME the name TOON with that igorant post.

  16. #16
    There was a recent article on how Snacks Harrison was found by a scout and recommended to the Jets. Can't remember the article...or the scout's name..but that's the guy I want to hire!

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If he is on the board when we pick in the 3rd sure.
    This......

    If Bradway loves him enough to spend a 1st on him then he should be canned...

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    the answer for the future of the jets is as follows.look how many bust draft picks have the jets had in the past.why the jets keep a loser like bradway and his cronies on the payroll is unbelievable.the heart and soul of any nfl organizaeion starts with scouting system.which the jets have shown to be lackluster.i hope that the jets see the handwriting on the wall and make major changes.
    So Bradway is the problem?

    Do you know we could have the Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Rookie of the year this season, both of whom were drafted in the last 3 years outside of the top 10? Aside from those 2 players, we currently have a top 5 defense with an UDFA NT, 7th round pick at safety (in his second year), and a 2-d year LB. Oh and he traded up for the best CB in football in Revis.

    On offense, Dbrick and Mangold were drafted by bradway and made probowls and we signed Howard from someone elses PS (Bradway was not solely a college scout). Kerley is/was a steal as a 5th round pick and that is with him never playing a single down with an above average QB (geno is not above avg right now).

    Im not sure how long this fan base can complain about Gholston or Ducasse - no one hits on every pick, and Bradway has found far more gems then he has rocks.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND READ MY POST ABOVE - YOU SHAME the name TOON with that igorant post.

    Nice post, except Bradway is the symbol of all the failed regimes of the Woody Johnson era. If he is still here - in a senior position - it tells me this organization has not moved on from embracing mediocrity. Don't give me this bullsh*t that Bradway is some great scout - for all the good draft picks (such as Kareem Mckenzie) you can point to the idiotic decisions (such as not recognizing the importance of certain positions, such as OT, and not re-signing.. Kareem Mckenzie, who went on to two SBs). The Jets have whiffed on far more draft picks and free agents than they have hit on during Bradway's reign of terror. And again, what I said was that not firing him was a huge RED FLAG for me. It does not mean Idzik will be a failure, it just raises a huge concern about whether he will actually be in charge or not. So save your "game, set match" ass-munchery unless you want to bring out the entire Bradway record and defend how any winning organization - in any industry - would not have fired that fool years ago.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsDNA View Post
    There was a recent article on how Snacks Harrison was found by a scout and recommended to the Jets. Can't remember the article...or the scout's name..but that's the guy I want to hire!
    It was Jeff Bauer and he was retained, with an assist from Bazirgan, also retained.
    Last edited by Miamipuck; 11-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us