Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone in August who wouldn't have taken 5-5 at this point is lying.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Anyone in August who wouldn't have taken 5-5 at this point is lying.

I said it when we were 4-4 and will say it again at 5-5. Based on the talent we have on this team and a rookie QB starting, anyone who thought we'd be better than our record now is delusional. Most thought we'd have 2 or 3 wins at this point.

Get real folks. It's mid-november and we're still in the race. Be thankful and enjoy late-Fall meaningful football.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I said it when we were 4-4 and will say it again at 5-5. Based on the talent we have on this team and a rookie QB starting, anyone who thought we'd be better than our record now is delusional. Most thought we'd have 2 or 3 wins at this point.

Get real folks. It's mid-november and we're still in the race. Be thankful and enjoy late-Fall meaningful football.

While I agree any Jets fan would have signed up for a 4 win season if we had the chance to watch a potential franchise QB develop. Instead we find ourselves in the same predicament we have been in for the last 4 yrs. No viable solution at QB that can get this team to compete for the division title… As I fan you know I love that fact that we have meaningful football in November. I just am not sure if that is a light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming to run us over...

Right where I expected, tbh.

And even so, so what?

Does being 5-5 mean no criticism is valid, no comments appropriate, and all discussion of issues should cease?

Do you REALLY think anyone who posts here regularly is NOT "enjoying late-Fall meaningful football" Sean?

Come on mate, you and I both know, the over-the-top optimists and the Big bad Boo Birds are a big part of what drives traffic/posts here. Let them all have their fun.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I agree; rookie QB, 2nd year project WR (Hill will do better with Kerley on the field, so will Geno), a rash of injuries and suspensions on offense, 6 or 7 new starters on D, several new starters on O (some by people on the team for about a month), they are doing better than one might have expected. I doesn't excuse the team starting flat on many games and the bad offensive game plan yesterday or our lack of ability to try and turn the game around.

Jets Insider VIP
    It makes you sick to lose to Buffalo after a Bye and I think that's where all the anger is coming from.

We are still the 6th seed for the playoff spot. We need to win our home games and steal one away game. It could come down to the Miami game at the end of the season. In that case I'll go to my condo a little early for that game.

The record is fine, but the repeated blowout losses and lack of noticeable improvement from Geno is discouraging, to say the least. Do we have a QB going forward? Will Rex even be the coach next year? Still a lot of question marks for this team, and although 5-5 is better record-wise than many expected, I can't see how most fans don't feel uneasy about the direction of this team.

I refuse to ignore everything that happens from game to game just to look at some big picture win loss record. I refuse to not analyze a QB's play from game to game just because we are 5-5.

I refuse to ignore any coaching gaffs and ignore awful play off a bye week just because we are 5-5.

I refuse to ignore the fact that a supposed top notch NFL defense has just been shredded a number of times this year just because we are 5-5.

The Jets and the coaches deserve praise when they do well and overachieve, they fully deserve abuse when they blow opportunities with awful games.

Hall Of Fame
    I am very thankful we are 5-5. Especially considering how bad we have played. Sadly this offense is beginning to play as predicted.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    While I agree any Jets fan would have signed up for a 4 win season if we had the chance to watch a potential franchise QB develop. Instead we find ourselves in the same predicament we have been in for the last 4 yrs. No viable solution at QB that can get this team to compete for the division title… As I fan you know I love that fact that we have meaningful football in November. I just am not sure if that is a light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming to run us over...
    I think you make a great Point. It is beyond "results" in Terms of wins and losses. What frustrates People the most is that Geno seems to Regress. The defense also is not Fixing it's obvious Problems. Then this whole bye week Thing makes it extremely brutal. And it is not like we are just losing, we are getting blown out at our low Points.

With that said, I'm really happy we are still in this Thing even though it makes it hard to adjust your expectations every week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    The record is fine, but the repeated blowout losses and lack of noticeable improvement from Geno is discouraging, to say the least. Do we have a QB going forward? Will Rex even be the coach next year? Still a lot of question marks for this team, and although 5-5 is better record-wise than many expected, I can't see how most fans don't feel uneasy about the direction of this team.
    The reason why we have a blowout loss is because we get behind and try riskier passes/plays. It happens to every team in the NFL; however, with a rookie QB it happens more often.

All League

Agreed. And stick with Geno.

That's that.

Jets Insider VIP

AMEN! I am glad that you said it! Its so true. Games like yesterday bring out the worst in Jets fans. It was horrible to watch and inexcusable that the team came out FLAT. No offensive adjustments to help the rookie QB that I could see. I think we will right this ship!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.

I agree to some extent. But it's really concerning how awful Geno Smith has been. I think it's a bad idea to give up on a QB after one season, but at the same time, it's very rare QB who played as poorly as Geno in their first season as a starter turned their career into something. It's also really bad for a QB not to give a rookie QB any weapons. There have been almost no QBs that didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher or receiver in either the prior or current season on the team.

Furthermore, while it's fun that the Jets are still playing meaningful games, they don't really seem like a team that's showing improvement and having their young players improve as the season goes along. If the Jets end up 8-8 without improvement from Geno Smith or Dee Miliner is that really better than 4-12 where Geno Smith plays better as the season goes on?

Again, I'm not declaring the team a failure, calling for Rex's head, or even saying they should bench Geno... but the reality is, the best offensive skill player that they Jets have developed in 5 seasons is Jeremy Kerely (or Shonn Greene). At some level, that has to be on Rex,

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Right where I expected, tbh.

And even so, so what?

Does being 5-5 mean no criticism is valid, no comments appropriate, and all discussion of issues should cease?

Do you REALLY think anyone who posts here regularly is NOT "enjoying late-Fall meaningful football" Sean?

Come on mate, you and I both know, the over-the-top optimists and the Big bad Boo Birds are a big part of what drives traffic/posts here. Let them all have their fun.
    SUCH INSOLENCE! YOU WATCH YOUR MEDIOCRE TEAM BE MEDIOCRE AND YOU ENJOY IT!

But, seriously, we shouldn't be happy to be mediocre/lackluster just because the media said we'd be 2013's Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am very thankful we are 5-5. Especially considering how bad we have played. Sadly this offense is beginning to play as predicted.
    As Coach Parcells used to say, you are what your record is. However, in our case I don't think we're as good as our record. We've gotten at least two gift wins.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Agreed. And stick with Geno.

That's that.
    I'm okay with letting Geno lead the team the rest of the season just as long as Idzik doesn't hesitate to draft a QB in the first round if the right guy can be had in April.

I've seen enough of GEno Smith to want to see more. I've also seen enough of Geno Smith to want to have a Plan B.

Pre season predictions are completely irrelevant at this point. Expectations change during the course of the season. So to even suggest that fans should be satisfied with this mess we saw yesterday and in Cincinnati is just lame. Am I happy the team is not eliminated from the playoffs yet? Of course. Should I, or anyone else, be satisfied with the 50% abominable performance thus far? I guess you think so. Well I sure don't and I would guess the vast majority of fans would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I'm okay with letting Geno lead the team the rest of the season just as long as Idzik doesn't hesitate to draft a QB in the first round if the right guy can be had in April.

I've seen enough of GEno Smith to want to see more. I've also seen enough of Geno Smith to want to have a Plan B.
    ^This

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    As Coach Parcells used to say, you are what your record is. However, in our case I don't think we're as good as our record. We've gotten at least two gift wins.
    Bingo. Truthfully, this is a 3-4 win team.

Honestly, in some ways I would take 3-7 or even 4-6 over the 5-5 we have if it meant we had been in every game with a shot to win and we were seeing noticeable improvement from guys like Geno, Milliner, and Hill. Instead, we are getting very Jekyll and Hyde performances with no indications that many of our key young players are improving or will be the answer in 2014. If Geno doesn't improve these last 6 weeks, what exactly is there to be excited about in 2014? That maybe we draft a rookie QB who maybe doesn't have growing pains and maybe can step in and lead a playoff contender right away? I don't know, that isn't too fulfilling to me.

Plus, as to the playoffs, how about we go into the playoffs for once as a team seen as a serious contender with a shot to win it all? Just making the playoffs is no accomplishment if you were 8-8 and lose in the first round by 3 TDs.