View Poll Results: What was the PRIMARY reason for the Jets success during 2009-2011?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM - Mike Tannenbaum

1 1.59%
  • Head Coach - Rex Ryan

30 47.62%
  • Off. Coordinator - Brian Schottenheimer

1 1.59%
  • QB - Mark Sanchez

2 3.17%
  • CB - Darrelle Revis

2 3.17%
  • Very good Offensive Personnel

4 6.35%
  • Very good Defensive Personnel

15 23.81%
  • Other

8 12.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets success in 2009 - 2011 was primarily due to...

Jets Insider VIP

The Jets success in 2009 - 2011 was primarily due to...

Two very good years, two GREAT playoff runs. The Jets were an excellent team for about a 24 month stretch. Why? How? Who deserves the credit?

Winning a game can be lucky. Winning 3 in a row could even be considered luck. But a successful season, and definitely two consecutive successful seasons is due to more than just luck. Those Jets were an excellent team.

And yes, no one single thing is directly responsible for success. Everyone would probably answer "A combination of factors" if that was a choice. So it's not a choice.

What was the PRIMARY reason (or biggest reason) for the Jets success during those years?

We had a stacked OL and D

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

1st ranked and 3rd ranked defense. Followed by a strong offensive line.

All Pro
    1) Top three defense in the league, almost no game would get out of Hand
    2) Great Veteran leadership (Woody, Faneca, T-Rich, LT, Thomas Jones, Scott, Leonard etc.)
    3) Great running game

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    We had a stacked OL and D
    Agree on the OLine. But how much more stacked was the D then than it is now? Other than Revis, I think we're better equipped on D from a personnel standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Agree on the OLine. But how much more stacked was the D then than it is now? Other than Revis, I think we're better equipped on D from a personnel standpoint.
    Our LBs were underrated, they were very good in 09-10. We had Jenkins for part of that in 09 too, and a certain CB in the secondary. How easily you forget

Jets Insider VIP
    Our LBs were underrated, they were very good in 09-10. We had Jenkins for part of that in 09 too, and a certain CB in the secondary. How easily you forget
    lol. What did I forget? I mentioned Revis.

How many games did Jenkins play from 09-11?

Wilk, Harrison, Richardson are the best line the Jets have had since the 80's.

Our LBs aren't bad right now.

TappaLappinAndClappin'WhileFappin' via Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Great defense. You have to give it to the Head coach on this one.

We had a great complimentary defense & Revis played OUT OF HIS MIND! No corner in the history of this game had a 2 year stretch like that.
    He was shutting down the ELITE of the ELITE WRs.
    Oline was one of our best ever!
    Dbrick & Mangold, younger & at their best.
    Faneca, Woody was great those 2 years.
    Anyone could have run behind those lines. Thomas Jones wasn't even touched sometimes on his TD runs.

All Pro
    I voted for Rex but the answer is Top 5 Defense, Top 5 Rushing attack and Top 3 OL

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    1st ranked and 3rd ranked defense. Followed by a strong offensive line.
    this is the reason right here!

Calvin pace 2009 is a lot better than calvin pace 2013. The jets secondary is a pretty big weakness right now. We had Jenkins for 6 games in 09 and we had revis/cro for all of 2010. Also Bart Scott declined sharply in 2011 but he was very good in his first couple seasons here. Plus Ellis/pouha/devito/BT was still a very good line against the run. That's why I wanted to keep revis btw... Can you imagine if we had revis/cro with our current DL?

Jets Insider VIP
    Calvin pace 2009 is a lot better than calvin pace 2013. The jets secondary is a pretty big weakness right now. We had Jenkins for 6 games in 09 and we had revis/cro for all of 2010. Also Bart Scott declined sharply in 2011 but he was very good in his first couple seasons here. Plus Ellis/pouha/devito/BT was still a very good line against the run. That's why I wanted to keep revis btw... Can you imagine if we had revis/cro with our current DL?
    Would love it. Revis (2010 form) would make this the best D in the NFL and its not even debateable.

Jets Insider VIP
    More seasoned and better players at every position; very good special teams. QB was the weakest link.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I voted for Rex but the answer is Top 5 Defense, Top 5 Rushing attack and Top 3 OL
    Rex is the correct vote in this poll. He brought his defense and 2 starters on D to help coach up that Defense. Without that defense I am not sure how many games we win, but it is less.

All Pro

Our LB Corps right now is a work in Progress. Harris and Davis started great but I would say they have been pretty solid recently. Pace is a situational Player and Coples is not a full time linebacker yet. Back then we had elite run stuffers at both OLB spot, Bart Scott was still good and Harris made the all pro Team in 2009.

Make no mistake about it, the linebackers aren't where they Need to be right now...

Hall Of Fame
    Tangini's players and Rex's personality. We had a good roster prior to Rex but Mangini sucked the life out of the organization. Rex brought in a new attitude and the organization got a second wind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

People forget or don't realize how good Damien Woody and Alan Faneca were. Need to stop using all our high picks on corners and defensive linemen and start adding offensive linemen and skill players. We're never going to become a contender until we change our strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    People forget or don't realize how good Damien Woody and Alan Faneca were. Need to stop using all our high picks on corners and defensive linemen and start adding offensive linemen and skill players. We're never going to become a contender until we change our strategy.
    they could run the ball even if the other team stacked the box. when you win the time of possession battle and play solid defense you can absorb more of the rookie qb turnovers.

2009-2011 success was due to Mangini putting together a team of disciplined, hard working lunch pail guys along with some veterans of winning teams and then Rex taking those guys with the addition of his own guys (Leonhard and Scott) and coaching them up to the next level. Once we lost those type of high character players (Woody, Faneca, Cotchery, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington,Tony Richardson, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins) and replaced them with loudmouth, high priced selfish scumbags (Holmes, Plaxico, Joe Mcknight) the team fell apart.