View Poll Results: What was the PRIMARY reason for the Jets success during 2009-2011?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM - Mike Tannenbaum

1 1.59%
  • Head Coach - Rex Ryan

30 47.62%
  • Off. Coordinator - Brian Schottenheimer

1 1.59%
  • QB - Mark Sanchez

2 3.17%
  • CB - Darrelle Revis

2 3.17%
  • Very good Offensive Personnel

4 6.35%
  • Very good Defensive Personnel

15 23.81%
  • Other

8 12.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets success in 2009 - 2011 was primarily due to...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    People forget or don't realize how good Damien Woody and Alan Faneca were. Need to stop using all our high picks on corners and defensive linemen and start adding offensive linemen and skill players. We're never going to become a contender until we change our strategy.
    We got Winters but it takes years to grow into a probowl caliber player. I heard even Warmack isn't doing that well.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets werent that good during that stretch. I can still here the beep, beep, beep, as they backed into the playoffs that first year when Indy pulled Pay-Ton in the 2nd half of that late reg season game and handed you a WC spot. The jets should not have made the play offs. I give em props for taking advantage of a terrible bengals team twice but it seems at some point they showed their true colors and were thrashed. Same thing the next year when the backed in some ugly kind of way and beat bad teams including the chargers who stunk that year and had no more business in the playoffs than the jets. They were a 500 team getting a lot of breaks closer to the lower tier teams in the league than the upper.

I can understand your wanting to delude yourselves into thinking rex is great and everything is a ok going forward. I cant believe jet fan wants to hold this up as some Golden age of dominant dynasty to harken back to nostalgaically. Its why you are hated throughout the sports world

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This. Playoff teams are built from the trenches out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted other , very good offensive personel that fit the only scheme that Rex cares about G&P.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st ranked and 3rd ranked defense. Followed by a strong offensive line.
    Which in turn made for an excellent run game and adequate QB play, which is the reason I feel the Jets should work on addressing the latter part of your statement before going balls-out for another stab at a "franchise QB".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason for that success was due to - and I see I am the only one thus far- Mike Tannenbaum.

He LOADED the offense by trading for Thomas Jones in 2007, signing Faneca, Woody , T-Rich in 2008. Trading for Braylon Edwards, trading up for Sanchez & Greene in 2009. Trading for Holmes & signing LT in 2010.

He Loaded the defense with Drafting Revis & Harris in 2007. Trading for Kris Jenkins, Lito Sheppard And Signing Pace in 2008 & Feeley in 2009. Signing Jason Taylor & trading for Cromartie in 2010.

As despised as Tanny is around these parts, he built our team into a contender during his drafts and trades which led to a window of opportunity to contend for the SuperBowl. All those players mentioned were CRUCIAL & MATERIAL for the NY Jets' success from 2009-2010. His contracts were HORRENDOUS but he got us the players who had the talent, and almost did, get us to that big dance in February.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 11-19-2013 at 06:34 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    1) Top three defense in the league, almost no game would get out of Hand
    2) Great Veteran leadership (Woody, Faneca, T-Rich, LT, Thomas Jones, Scott, Leonard etc.)
    3) Great running game
    45-3 in ne?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    More seasoned and better players at every position; very good special teams. QB was the weakest link.
    agreed! The defense was awesome and led by a guy they believed in ( REX)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Tangini's players and Rex's personality. We had a good roster prior to Rex but Mangini sucked the life out of the organization. Rex brought in a new attitude and the organization got a second wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    2009-2011 success was due to Mangini putting together a team of disciplined, hard working lunch pail guys along with some veterans of winning teams and then Rex taking those guys with the addition of his own guys (Leonhard and Scott) and coaching them up to the next level. Once we lost those type of high character players (Woody, Faneca, Cotchery, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington,Tony Richardson, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins) and replaced them with loudmouth, high priced selfish scumbags (Holmes, Plaxico, Joe Mcknight) the team fell apart.
    Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! Mangini wasn't a very good coach but he an excellent talent evaluator! The **** hit the fan when most of those players left and Rex thought he could continue winning without them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Which in turn made for an excellent run game and adequate QB play, which is the reason I feel the Jets should work on addressing the latter part of your statement before going balls-out for another stab at a "franchise QB".
    Agreed. Lets fix the OL and get some real weapons before we start burning through QBs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    People forget or don't realize how good Damien Woody and Alan Faneca were. Need to stop using all our high picks on corners and defensive linemen and start adding offensive linemen and skill players. We're never going to become a contender until we change our strategy.
    Lolz, the Jets are sitting in a playoff spot now due to that terrible strategy

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Lolz, the Jets are sitting in a playoff spot now due to that terrible strategy
    True, and I've enjoyed this season for the most part. But we're not close to being a real Superbowl contender. The offense just isn't close to being good enough.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    True, and I've enjoyed this season for the most part. But we're not close to being a real Superbowl contender. The offense just isn't close to being good enough.
    Could you imagine Jets fans if we had Peyton?

Wah! We need more defensive players!!! You can't lose 41-0 in a game against the Jets!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Agreed. Lets fix the OL and get some real weapons before we start burning through QBs.
    For the love of God Idzik please do the right thing...it would be refreshing for this org to finally move in the right direction.....solidfy the OL, get some weapons on O and put the finishing touches on the D....no need to have an audition for QB every season w/o preparing said QB to succeed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slenderbone View Post
    The jets werent that good during that stretch. I can still here the beep, beep, beep, as they backed into the playoffs that first year when Indy pulled Pay-Ton in the 2nd half of that late reg season game and handed you a WC spot. The jets should not have made the play offs. I give em props for taking advantage of a terrible bengals team twice but it seems at some point they showed their true colors and were thrashed. Same thing the next year when the backed in some ugly kind of way and beat bad teams including the chargers who stunk that year and had no more business in the playoffs than the jets. They were a 500 team getting a lot of breaks closer to the lower tier teams in the league than the upper.

I can understand your wanting to delude yourselves into thinking rex is great and everything is a ok going forward. I cant believe jet fan wants to hold this up as some Golden age of dominant dynasty to harken back to nostalgaically. Its why you are hated throughout the sports world
    Glad to know we were a shyt team when we THRASHED your Pasts* off their home turf while you losers booed them off to the golf course!

FYI, nobody is as hated as you delusional fools. No matter WHAT ESPN tries to push over on the masses. You are a joke.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Winning a game can be lucky. Winning 3 in a row could even be considered luck. But a successful season, and definitely two consecutive successful seasons is due to more than just luck. Those Jets were an excellent team.

I reject your premise. It was two consecutive successful PLAYOFF RUNS not successful regular seasons. You say more than just luck. Bottom line, if Manning plays the second half in Indy, as he should have, in '09, the Jets aren't even in the playoffs. They are 8-8. You can argue that is successful given how '08 ended, but mediocre is mediocre.

That leaves one successful regular season - and I would absolutely chalk it up to luck. Go back and review those wins - Houston, Denver, Detroit, Cleveland, Indy (playoffs) - all last minute heroics that simply wasn't sustainable, as we have seen since then. We certainly had a solid O-line back then, and Revis was a huge part of the defense (pass rush as non existent) but 11-5 was largely a result of a lot of luck. Take away that season and the Rex era has been nothing but mediocrity - largely the fault of the previous GM, front office and ownership - but Rex was part of it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    2009-2011 success was due to Mangini putting together a team of disciplined, hard working lunch pail guys along with some veterans of winning teams and then Rex taking those guys with the addition of his own guys (Leonhard and Scott) and coaching them up to the next level. Once we lost those type of high character players (Woody, Faneca, Cotchery, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington,Tony Richardson, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins) and replaced them with loudmouth, high priced selfish scumbags (Holmes, Plaxico, Joe Mcknight) the team fell apart.
    Don't forget Derrick Mason.. While Cotch is still making plays to this day. 7 TDs this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    running game and OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I reject your premise. It was two consecutive successful PLAYOFF RUNS not successful regular seasons. You say more than just luck. Bottom line, if Manning plays the second half in Indy, as he should have, in '09, the Jets aren't even in the playoffs. They are 8-8. You can argue that is successful given how '08 ended, but mediocre is mediocre.

That leaves one successful regular season - and I would absolutely chalk it up to luck. Go back and review those wins - Houston, Denver, Detroit, Cleveland, Indy (playoffs) all last minute heroics that simply wasn't sustainable, as we have seen since then. We certainly had a solid O-line back then, and Revis was a huge part of the defense (pass rush as non existent) but 11-5 was largely a result of a lot of luck. Take away that season and the Rex era has been nothing but mediocrity - largely the fault of the previous GM, front office and ownership - but Rex was part of it.
    ^THIS

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This, people keep whining when people call for drafting OL in the first round. But that is how we dominated those two years. Those lines were flat out amazing. I really miss Damien Woody, he was an absolute animal at RT. I would say that he was really the key for our offense from 2008-2010, a dominant All-Pro bookend to pair with Brick.