Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets: Stephen Hill to play less

Veteran

Jets: Stephen Hill to play less

About bloody time they put his ass on the bench. It is OK to make a mistake with a draft pick. It is not OK to keep forcing them into the lineup and keep them around extra years a la Gholston, Ducasse, and McKnight all the while cutting players that would have been contributors.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-have-reps-cut

Stephen Hill to have reps cut
    November, 20, 2013
    By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Stephen Hill, in his second year, has been disappointing. Rex Ryan said it about the 6-foot-4 wide receiver he had to be talked into drafting, and later a chastened Hill agreed.

“I’ve been disappointed, there is no doubt because we see all the potential that this young man has,” Ryan said. “He’s got the speed, the size, he’s tough enough, he has courage. ... By now I think we’re all expecting, Jets fans are expecting him to take the next step and for whatever reason it hasn’t been there yet. Doesn’t mean we’re giving up on the young man, but we want to see it.”

Hill has 23 catches for 340 yards and a touchdown this season, but he hasn’t had a catch in two straight games. Early in the day, Jets wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal told Hill that his reps would be curtailed.

“Basically [Lal was] just straight up with me, that some things are going to be cut down,” Hill said. “But I’m still going to get enough reps.

There has been ample opportunity for Hill. Santonio Holmes came into the season with an injured foot, and the Jets didn’t hold over Chaz Schilens or Braylon Edwards from last year’s team, leaving Hill to compete with unknowns like Ben Obomanu, Vidal Hazelton and Ryan Spadola at training camp.

“In certain cases I do feel like I’m getting open,” Hill said. “But that’s really not for me to judge.”

Hill made the final roster, but there hasn’t been much production. He had one 100-plus yard game, in the first meeting against Buffalo, when he had 108 yards and a touchdown on three catches.

“I’m not where I should be,” Hill said. “And everyone has things to work on but I definitely didn’t expect things to be like this this year.”

There have been injuries in the receiver group during the season -- Holmes missed five games with a hamstring injury, for example -- but Hill didn’t pick up production. In 2012, Ryan told Sports Illustrated that Hill hadn’t been his pick during the 2012 NFL draft, but the Jets scouting department liked what they saw. Later, Ryan clarified that he was praising the scouting department.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 11-21-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Veteran
    Ouch. Ugh.

Feel bad for him - nice kid - just not a real football player.

So - um - with Kerley still out (and a slot guy really) this makes our starting two outside WR Holmes and Nelson??

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Ouch. Ugh.

Feel bad for him - nice kid - just not a real football player.

So - um - with Kerley still out (and a slot guy really) this makes our starting two outside WR Holmes and Nelson??
    I hope they find someone else to fill his place?????

Jets Insider VIP
    I really believed in him. I can't forget his debut game where he looked like a future star.... That was a looooongggg time ago/

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I hope they find someone else to fill his place?????
    Well of course he's not being cut - so there's no extra roster space or anything. Just a demotion.

I figure they are looking at who has any connection with Geno; Hill clearly ain't that guy. I wonder if they'd even go to Geno for info or if this is strictly a film/production based decision. Nelson (and Salas) have looked pretty comfortable with Geno - so I'd expect to see a lot more of them - maybe with Salas in the slot.

Well - I am glad they did something at least. I think we can all safely assume the Jets are going WR/TE in the 1st next year!!

After his big opening day against Buffalo last year it's been downhill from there...another Jets bust.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    I really believed in him. I can't forget his debut game where he looked like a future star.... That was a looooongggg time ago/
    Randy Moss-like measurables with that instant production in game 1 - I thought we had a huge find on our hands.

Jets Insider VIP
    Well - I am glad they did something at least. I think we can all safely assume the Jets are going WR/TE in the 1st next year!!
    What are you, crazy? We need more defensive linemen and cornerbacks.

Hill should get fewer reps, but still should be part of the game plan. He does have the big play ability that Nelson doesn't. Hopefully Holmes is able to go for more snaps then last week, when he was only on the field for about half the offensive snaps. I don't need to see sets where Nelson and Salas are our 2 WRs

Jets Insider VIP
    Draft Sammy Watkins and sign Jeremy Maclin to an incentive laden deal.

And draft another receiver or two in the mid-late rounds.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    What are you, crazy? We need more defensive linemen and cornerbacks.
    Lol - is it even possible to send three NT to the Pro Bowl?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I'd jizz my pants if this happened.

Veteran
    Nobody is saying he shouldn't see the field at all. However, Hill has shown nothing to make anyone think he earned his way into the lineup. They keep throwing him out there hoping that one game the light will go on. Meanwhile..there are guys on the team, signed off the street or not, that are playing better football.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Hill should get fewer reps, but still should be part of the game plan. He does have the big play ability that Nelson doesn't. Hopefully Holmes is able to go for more snaps then last week, when he was only on the field for about half the offensive snaps. I don't need to see sets where Nelson and Salas are our 2 WRs
    I agree. When Hill isn't out there, there's no homerun hitter out there on offense. That sure makes it easier for defenses to defend this offense.

Hill doesn't need much reps as he only knows how to run one route, the 9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Watkins is going top ten, if not top 5.

Veteran
    When you look at Hill's combine numbers - you can see why some would fall in love. He's practically as fast as that Goodwin dude who flew past Cro last week - and has 7 inches of height on Goodwin. But wow - just wow - for a big fast guy Hill never seems to leave anyone behind.

Ya - zero chance we get Watkins - unless we trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Watkins is going top ten, if not top 5.
    Maclin and Lee is a nice consolation, plus Lee comes experience in the WCO.

Jets Insider VIP
    When you look at Hill's combine numbers - you can see why some would fall in love. He's practically as fast as that Goodwin dude who flew past Cro last week - and has 7 inches of height on Goodwin. But wow - just wow - for a big fast guy Hill never seems to leave anyone behind.

Ya - zero chance we get Watkins - unless we trade up.
    We'll have the ammo to trade up if necessary (TB's third-rounder).

Holmes is healthy for now and I think Salas and Nelson have impressed. On short yardage and rezone downs those are just your better targets right now. Hill is a play making WR who does mostly interference. Hill is a 3rd down WR right now but a good one. It may be good for his production when all is said and done. Gets time to rethink his approach vs some of the CBs he is facing and talk to the WR coach more in game. He issue isnt what he is doing it is what teams are doing to stop him. He needs to adjust and we just havent seen that yet.