Thread: Utilize Geno as a runner

All Pro

Utilize Geno as a runner

One Thing that certainly irks me in recent weeks that we really do not let Geno get out and run. Now I'm not talking about designed Option Plays or stuff like that but when the protection breaks down or his Receivers don't get open. Hammer it into his head that when nothing is there get out of the pocket and get some Yards. He seems to be hesitant to take off when nothing is there on early reads. I don't think the Coaching staff tells him to stay in the pocket at all costs but it might be Geno thinking he has to pass everytime he Drops back and make sure People see him learning how to be a pocket passer. With his ability running the ball I think it would be completely fine to take off and atleast get the occasional 5 or 10 yarder. Just like he did earlier in the season. Those Little Plays would help our offense tremendously and it gives the defense something to think about. Just like Cro once told Geno on the bench "If nothing is there just run it. The defense hates that."

Here are Geno's rushing stats in the wins and the losses:

Wins - 5 games, 5 rushes per game, 26.4 rushing Yards per game, 3 TDs
    Losses - 5 games, 2.4 rushes per game, 8 rushing Yards per game, 0 TDs

I think Geno really has to understand that there is nothing wrong with picking your spots, tucking the ball away and running it for first down or atleast a few Yards. One run, one first down, one positive Play can make the difference between rythmn on offense and what we saw in Buffalo. It would certainly also help our protection when rushers can't just pin their ears back but think about Geno leaving the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    One Thing that certainly irks me in recent weeks that we really do not let Geno get out and run. Now I'm not talking about designed Option Plays or stuff like that but when the protection breaks down or his Receivers don't get open. Hammer it into his head that when nothing is there get out of the pocket and get some Yards. He seems to be hesitant to take off when nothing is there on early reads. I don't think the Coaching staff tells him to stay in the pocket at all costs but it might be Geno thinking he has to pass everytime he Drops back and make sure People see him learning how to be a pocket passer. With his ability running the ball I think it would be completely fine to take off and atleast get the occasional 5 or 10 yarder. Just like he did earlier in the season. Those Little Plays would help our offense tremendously and it gives the defense something to think about. Just like Cro once told Geno on the bench "If nothing is there just run it. The defense hates that."

I think Geno really has to understand that there is nothing wrong with picking your spots, tucking the ball away and running it for first down or atleast a few Yards. One run, one first down, one positive Play can make the difference between rythmn on offense and what we saw in Buffalo. It would certainly also help our protection when rushers can't just pin their ears back but think about Geno leaving the pocket.
    I totally agree. The guy has speed for sure like Aaron Rogers. Not meaning to compare but he should learn from Aaron how he busts out of the pocket when it is closing in on him.

theres no reason that Geno cant have close to 40-50 rushing yards a game. He insists on not taking off to run sometimes even when he has wide open lanes. Those hidden rushing yards, converted first downs can prove pivotal in adding a few more points on the board or at least flipping field position. the guy runs a 4.5. Utilize it.

Hall Of Fame
    I think it is Geno's ego. Wanting to be a pure passer is why he doesn't run.

After what happened to RG3 last year, any rookie QB should be cautious about running too much.

He can def run but he chooses not to! It pisses me off.. I read a interview with Lee and he said he has been preaching to geno take the run when it's there.. I don't know if he is scared of getting hurt, or just think he is above being a running qb but it's obvious the coaches want him to run.. It would keep the defenses more honest and would help him when he did drop back.

Veteran

Losses - 5 games, 2.4 rushes per game, 8 rushing Yards per

Seems like Geno and the Jets figure out the need to run a little every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    Seems like Geno and the Jets figure out the need to run a little every other week.
    Yea exactly! When they are in desperation mode which has been every other week it seems he runs to pick up first downs. In weeks after a win he feels no pressure to run so he throws picks instead. Go Figure