Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mike Vick as a Jet?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I'd take vick as a backup... Seriously he's a better option than garrard or simms. Look at what Cleveland did bringing in hoyer and Campbell, two backups that can actually play if needed
    ....and then suddenly he becomes our starter.... NO.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Brett Ratliff? I heard he's available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Pennington hurt/tore his shoulder from hits..... in no way were they "non-contact". His throwing motion was not the cause of his injuries..... that's ridiculous. He had TWO shoulder surgeries.... THEN had his best statistical year. He was plenty tough, and, far more so than Vick.
    Right, he got blasted by Buff in '04...

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    With Foles playing as well as he is, no doubt Philly will be looking to deal Vick at the end of the season. Any interest in NY? IMO he's still got some good years ahead of him. And he can definitely put asses in seats.
    I should ban you for entertaining the thought. Jimminy Christmas Man!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I should ban you for entertaining the thought. Jimminy Christmas Man!
    We all know Ches prefers a clean shaven Beaver..

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    More inclined to deal for Big Ben--he has 2 yrs left at 18 mill per year. Can still cut him after 2014 and save 12 with a 6 mill dead cap charge if he craps the bed. Jets looking at 30-40 mill in cap space, after Ben would still be looking at 12-22 spend. Sanchez, Cro, Harris cap casualties. Big needs include 2 WR's, TE, outside LB, 2 Cornerbacks Right tackle.
    That said, our 2 first round drafted cornerbacks play is just not where it should be to take a shot on Ben and groom geno.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez's career completion percentage is higher than Vick's was before playing in MM's offense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno > Vick

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeancounter View Post
    More inclined to deal for Big Ben--he has 2 yrs left at 18 mill per year. Can still cut him after 2014 and save 12 with a 6 mill dead cap charge if he craps the bed. Jets looking at 30-40 mill in cap space, after Ben would still be looking at 12-22 spend. Sanchez, Cro, Harris cap casualties. Big needs include 2 WR's, TE, outside LB, 2 Cornerbacks Right tackle.
    That said, our 2 first round drafted cornerbacks play is just not where it should be to take a shot on Ben and groom geno.
    That's an option also but in a very different way. Vick you could bring in as a "bridge" QB at low $$$ to hold the fort for a season or two while you develop a draftee as you next long term starter (assuming you have a draftee in your stable suitable for that).

Ben would cost big bucks and you'd only bring him in with the expectation that he's your franchise QB for the forseeable future. Frankly despite all the rumblings I don't see any way Pittsburg lets him go. THey'd be crazy to. He's the rarest of commodities in the NFL...a true, proven franchise QB, and a durable one at that

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    That's an option also but in a very different way. Vick you could bring in as a "bridge" QB at low $$$ to hold the fort for a season or two while you develop a draftee as you next long term starter (assuming you have a draftee in your stable suitable for that).

Ben would cost big bucks and you'd only bring him in with the expectation that he's your franchise QB for the forseeable future. Frankly despite all the rumblings I don't see any way Pittsburg lets him go. THey'd be crazy to. He's the rarest of commodities in the NFL...a true, proven franchise QB, and a durable one at that
    Bens has two years left on his contract. Im saying consider him for a one year shot and if we dont win big out he goes. No desire for franchise long term deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Geno. I already know what Vick can do for the 3 games he plays until he's injured again. Vick, like RGIII, is an incredible athlete, not a durable football player. Vick reminds me of a Bengals QB I learned about from the 60's- Greg Cook.

“Greg was the single most talented player we’ve ever had with the Bengals,” Bengals president Mike Brown said in a statement released by the team today. “His career was tragically short due to the injury. Had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have been the player of his era in the NFL.”

Vick has an 11 season career- impressive by NFL standards- but considering the IMMENSE talent he possessed, (legal issues aside) his constant Injuries makes his career seem like a disappointment. I feel the same way about RGIII at this point in time as well.
    Comparing Vick to RG3 is silly. RG3 can actually sit in the pocket and throw the ball if he wants.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vick is getting slower and more fragile. That, and his baggage will haunt him forever. He should retire, since Foles has looked very strong this year and the Eagles could try and develop Barkley if Foles were to get injured or pull a Sanchez (unlikely).