Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marty Mornhinweg: 'Geno's the man'

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    IF MM is staying then I would love to see him working with Mariotta .
    Yes I agree. Good player. The dude's also 6'4". Tall QB to see over the lineman. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    And while you're cherry picking why don't you show my other posts like: "The posters there are PATHETIC! LOL, now they say the refs are against the Pasts." in reference to Pats Fans .com. A thread I started that was merged.
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...t=#post5037638

Pats fan, yeah okay. don't tell me- Kentucky too?
    Ha I saw that.. Good you changed your time in game.. Kentucky too? Lol.. I just saw you constantly talking junk like a lil biach and was annoyed by it.. Then I saw the pat comments.. Btw I hate the pats.. Most jet fans do.. So when I see a jets can say the pats are gonna kick our ass I get pissed.. Sorry had to call you out for it.. Maybe next time have some balls/faith in your team.. Not gonna saw anything more on this matter..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ha I saw that.. Good you changed your time in game.. Kentucky too? Lol.. I just saw you constantly talking junk like a lil biach and was annoyed by it.. Then I saw the pat comments.. Btw I hate the pats.. Most jet fans do.. So when I see a jets can say the pats are gonna kick our ass I get pissed.. Sorry had to call you out for it.. Maybe next time have some balls/faith in your team.. Not gonna saw anything more on this matter..
    All good....GFY, but all good. JK ;-)

All good....GFY, but all good. JK ;-)
    Ha good that's what I'm talking about! balls..

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The question about drafting a QB next year would leave us with an interesting problem. Would we really want to carry 4 QBs on the roster in order to have at least one veteran or does drafting another young QB mean that Simms will be let go?
    Do you honestly expect Gerrard to be on the roster next year?

All League
    IF MM is staying then I would love to see him working with Mariotta .
    Ahhh..I'm just tired of watching spread offense college QB's fail at adapting to the NFL. There aren't too many that are wildly successful.

I want a QB that plays in a predominantly NFL offense type scheme..and right now that is only occurring in a few places, with LSU being one of them. Alabama and Georgia are a more typical 'pro-style' offense, as is Fresno State.

LSU's Mettenberger has the size, arm, brain and has spent the past yr with Cameron as his OC.

I'd gladly take Murray of GA or Carr of Fresno State...and wouldn't shy away from McCarron either. Hell, I even like Manziel but would hesitate to give up the farm for him only because I don't think he's gonna hold up physically long-term in the NFL as he is going to take some hellacious shots running around in the backfield. All of these programs run at least some components of a pro-style offense, whether a version of the WCO or more traditional.

NFL offenses and defenses are so complex, and the game is so fast, that a head start in college from playing that type system is a big advantage.

And granted that it takes more than a QB to make an offense work..protection and a stable crop of capable WR's helps a lot...so, there is a lot of variables.

So I say, since there are a lot of variables, you should reduce them when possible by taking someone that can play in a prototypical NFL offense up front and then put the team around them to complement them.

All League
    Don't know much about him. What round is he projected to go at?
    http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20...tenber_20.html

I say he goes mid-1st to 2nd round...but guys his size and with his arm (much like Flacco and Rothlisberger from lesser programs) often go higher than anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    Ahhh..I'm just tired of watching spread offense college QB's fail at adapting to the NFL. There aren't too many that are wildly successful.

I want a QB that plays in a predominantly NFL offense type scheme..and right now that is only occurring in a few places, with LSU being one of them. Alabama and Georgia are a more typical 'pro-style' offense, as is Fresno State.

LSU's Mettenberger has the size, arm, brain and has spent the past yr with Cameron as his OC.

I'd gladly take Murray of GA or Carr of Fresno State...and wouldn't shy away from McCarron either. Hell, I even like Manziel but would hesitate to give up the farm for him only because I don't think he's gonna hold up physically long-term in the NFL as he is going to take some hellacious shots running around in the backfield. All of these programs run at least some components of a pro-style offense, whether a version of the WCO or more traditional.

NFL offenses and defenses are so complex, and the game is so fast, that a head start in college from playing that type system is a big advantage.

And granted that it takes more than a QB to make an offense work..protection and a stable crop of capable WR's helps a lot...so, there is a lot of variables.

So I say, since there are a lot of variables, you should reduce them when possible by taking someone that can play in a prototypical NFL offense up front and then put the team around them to complement them.
    I'm a huge LSU fan so have seen Mett, McCarron and Murray quite a bit. My only problem with Mettenberger is that he is very immobile, I'm just wonderning if he'll have enough of a pocket presence and escapability at the next level , but man does he have a rocket for an arm. And I do agree that Cam really got the light to go on for Mett , a dramatic improvement over 1 offseason. McCaron I'm not that high on, I realize he has won consistently but I feel he's been a product of the best college team for the past 3 years and probably a bit of my Bama hate showing through. Murray is intriguing he doesn't seem to do anything great or anything bad, just sort of a consistent performer.

The reason I like Mariotta is that he has size , can throw the ball very well but also has the speed and running ability that keeps D co's up all night. To me he's RGIII++. I know the NFL has adapted pretty well to the spread/read option QB's but I feel it wouldn't be too much of a stetch to have Mariotta play as a more pocket based passer.

All League
    I'm a huge LSU fan so have seen Mett, McCarron and Murray quite a bit. My only problem with Mettenberger is that he is very immobile, I'm just wonderning if he'll have enough of a pocket presence and escapability at the next level , but man does he have a rocket for an arm. And I do agree that Cam really got the light to go on for Mett , a dramatic improvement over 1 offseason. McCaron I'm not that high on, I realize he has won consistently but I feel he's been a product of the best college team for the past 3 years and probably a bit of my Bama hate showing through. Murray is intriguing he doesn't seem to do anything great or anything bad, just sort of a consistent performer.

The reason I like Mariotta is that he has size , can throw the ball very well but also has the speed and running ability that keeps D co's up all night. To me he's RGIII++. I know the NFL has adapted pretty well to the spread/read option QB's but I feel it wouldn't be too much of a stetch to have Mariotta play as a more pocket based passer.
    As a transplanted Mizzou fan, I am forever thankful for the switch to the SEC....it's like watching the NFL on Saturday. I too have had the pleasure of watching these guys on a weekly basis..it's the closest thing to the NFL in college, and one of the college divisions that has more pro-style offenses.

It's also why I knew Gabbert would disappoint at the NFL level, Brad Smith was never an NFL QB candidate and Chase Daniels wasn't NFL starter caliber either. Gabbert has the size and arm, but he ain't the brightest bulb in the box..Smith was a read-option guy only with horrific accuracy, and Daniels didn't unfortunately have the physical attributes of an NFL QB. I wouldn't touch Franklin with a 10-ft pole next year either LOL. We will beat Ole Miss tomorrow night though !

I understand about Mariotta..there's a lot to like. But to me, the NFL is always going to be about pocket passing, reading D's and the entire field (not just a read-option) and staying healthy (i.e., not taking shots)..so spread offense QB's will always give me some pause. At least QB's from a college program that has pro-style tendencies have some experience before arriving in their initial NFL camp.

But it is a crap shoot, so who knows? And like I said, it ain't all on the QB in the NFL, a lot has to do with the talent around them.

As a transplanted Mizzou fan, I am forever thankful for the switch to the SEC....it's like watching the NFL on Saturday. I too have had the pleasure of watching these guys on a weekly basis..it's the closest thing to the NFL in college, and one of the college divisions that has more pro-style offenses.

It's also why I knew Gabbert would disappoint at the NFL level, Brad Smith was never an NFL QB candidate and Chase Daniels wasn't NFL starter caliber either. Gabbert has the size and arm, but he ain't the brightest bulb in the box..Smith was a read-option guy only with horrific accuracy, and Daniels didn't unfortunately have the physical attributes of an NFL QB. I wouldn't touch Franklin with a 10-ft pole next year either LOL. We will beat Ole Miss tomorrow night though !

I understand about Mariotta..there's a lot to like. But to me, the NFL is always going to be about pocket passing, reading D's and the entire field (not just a read-option) and staying healthy (i.e., not taking shots)..so spread offense QB's will always give me some pause. At least QB's from a college program that has pro-style tendencies have some experience before arriving in their initial NFL camp.

But it is a crap shoot, so who knows? And like I said, it ain't all on the QB in the NFL, a lot has to do with the talent around them.
    Lsu gets A&M tomorrow might be a 58-55 type game neither defense is very good this year.

All League
    Lsu gets A&M tomorrow might be a 58-55 type game neither defense is very good this year.
    I'll be flipping channels !

I did go undergrad to Tulane...so rooting for LSU is HARD LOL.

But when I was at Tulane, we beat LSU 2 out of 4...which is an accomplishment you must agree. Hell, they don't even play each other much anymore!

I'll be flipping channels !

I did go undergrad to Tulane...so rooting for LSU is HARD LOL.

But when I was at Tulane, we beat LSU 2 out of 4...which is an accomplishment you must agree. Hell, they don't even play each other much anymore!
    Yep , I remeber those losses well. Problem back then was it difficult to get LSU games in the NY tri state area, most of my following was through boxscores in the paper and newsletters. It was a treat when a mjaor network carried one of their games.
    Last edited by 56mehl56; 11-22-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Through 10 games so far the Jets have had 277 pass plays and 250 run plays how does that compute to just running the ball??
    Through the first 5 games we were 162-127 with the Atlanta game being 20 pass and 22 rush, where most of those rushes came late. So since the first 5 we have been 115-123 which clearly shows a move back to ground and pound which not coincidentally coincides with Geno's struggles.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Do you honestly expect Gerrard to be on the roster next year?
    No I don't. But if he is cut and we draft another QB then that will leave us with three young QBs and no veteran on the roster.

Which was the entire point I was trying to pose with that post.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Through the first 5 games we were 162-127 with the Atlanta game being 20 pass and 22 rush, where most of those rushes came late. So since the first 5 we have been 115-123 which clearly shows a move back to ground and pound which not coincidentally coincides with Geno's struggles.
    And the last five games also correspond to games where the opposition has had more film on Geno than the first five. Maybe opposing DCs simply caught up to him? Maybe the stretch of games 6-10 was harder than the first five. See? We can all play that game. Do not mistake correlation with causality.