Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty Mornhinweg: 'Geno's the man'

All League

Marty Mornhinweg: 'Geno's the man'

Marty Mornhinweg: 'Geno's the man'

11/21/13
    By Sweet Jane McM. | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets have been very careful not to give Geno Smith any security beyond the current week, declining to name their second-round pick their starting quarterback even after Mark Sanchez had a season-ending shoulder injury.

But if Smith had sat in on offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's press conference on Thursday, he might have heard something to give him some peace of mind despite his three interceptions in the loss to the Bills.

Mornhinweg was asked where veteran addition David Garrard fit between Smith and backup Matt Simms.

“Geno's the man and Mr. Simms has done pretty good and he's earned his spot,” Mornhinweg said.

The coordinator even went on to say that Smith wasn't the only one responsible for the whiplash-inducing uncertainty that has marked the Jets season, when they became the first NFL team to ride a win-loss pattern into Week 11.

“Well, I'm not so sure he's in a funk,” Mornhinweg said. “He certainly has been, we all have been, including myself, up and down way too much. We put together some solid offensive games and then we've laid some eggs. We're just maddeningly up and down just a little bit.”

******** Appreciate the fact the CS is taking some accountability here and not dumping on the rookie****************

Smith has had some promising games, but with 16 interceptions this season to eight passing touchdowns, there is tremendous room for improvement.

“We all have to help the quarterback,” Mornhinweg said. “For a quarterback to play well takes an awful lot of things, so we've got to help him more now, starting with me. So, there you go. Man alive, I'd like to see him play better than he did last week now. He's got to do that. He's just been up and down, our whole offensive football team. And that's what bothers me. As we play a little better, as I do my job a little bit better, I think he can play like he has in the past.”

Smith also has three rushing touchdowns on the season, and has 2,100 passing yards on 166 completions.

It's called making the best of a bad situation. Draft a new QB next year PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    It's called making the best of a bad situation. Draft a new QB next year PLEASE!
    I'm torn on that. Is it really wise to draft another QB to play for a coach who wants to do nothing but run the ball and watch the D-line?

I definitely wouldn't be against it, but there's a part of me that wonders if the Jets should draft another QB while they still have the same coach on the sidelines. If Rex stays for '14, I'd prefer they bring in a better veteran to compete with Geno...how many coaches get to work with three different rookie QBs while with the same squad?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I'm torn on that. Is it really wise to draft another QB to play for a coach who wants to do nothing but run the ball and watch the D-line?

I definitely wouldn't be against it, but there's a part of me that wonders if the Jets should draft another QB while they still have the same coach on the sidelines. If Rex stays for '14, I'd prefer they bring in a better veteran to compete with Geno...how many coaches get to work with three different rookie QBs while with the same squad?
    I think Idzik will be in a good place for the draft, no need to reach or overdraft a QB for need but if one falls then the Jets can make the pick, like Geno in the 2nd, still good value considering his upside

All League
    I need the next 6 games to tell me whether we need a new QB next year. He has flashed the ability to lead an offense and perhaps a team. Mistakes are a given especially with a sub-par WR/TE group. The offensive line didn't help him last week, but in the end his turnovers are his fault. I give him a little more leeway then I did Sanchez because that offensive line and WR from 09-10 were a beast. Give him the next 6 games and see how he plays. Another thing that's in the back of my mind is that while he put up video game numbers at WV, he didn't play in a pro style offense. That adjustment for him is bigger than I think we all have thought. If we do make a decision to move on from him I think it means the end of the Rex era. No Coach in the NFL gets to oversee 3 rookie starting QB's, especially when all of them were selected in the first two rounds.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Through 10 games so far the Jets have had 277 pass plays and 250 run plays how does that compute to just running the ball??

So true. Draft another qb, add some free agents to the o. Let them compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Through 10 games so far the Jets have had 277 pass plays and 250 run plays how does that compute to just running the ball??
    Exactly, plus I honestly don't think Rex has a lot of say in the offensive play calling. I'm sure he talks to Marty and relays his thoughts but my guess is Marty is calling the shots completely on O.

You could blame the offensive woes on a lot of things but I don't think you can blame it on Rex.

Of course that's true, but three of the losses have been blowouts where the team has no choice but to pass, and there's still only a 27-play variance.

I won't proclaim to have any idea what influence Rex has over Marty's gameplan, but I'm sure you agree that his mantra in the beginning was G&P and that he takes a little extra pleasure in wins like the one against NO where the team just ran the Saints into submission. Maybe Rex would have a different mindset if he had a QB he had complete confidence in, but is he going to find that with yet another rookie?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Of course that's true, but three of the losses have been blowouts where the team has no choice but to pass, and there's still only a 27-play variance.

I won't proclaim to have any idea what influence Rex has over Marty's gameplan, but I'm sure you agree that his mantra in the beginning was G&P and that he takes a little extra pleasure in wins like the one against NO where the team just ran the Saints into submission. Maybe Rex would have a different mindset if he had a QB he had complete confidence in, but is he going to find that with yet another rookie?
    I agree there are many factors that go into the pass/run ratio like if you can't run against a team you have to pass.. In the Saint game the Saints had 13 rushes and 51 passes..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Exactly, plus I honestly don't think Rex has a lot of say in the offensive play calling. I'm sure he talks to Marty and relays his thoughts but my guess is Marty is calling the shots completely on O.

You could blame the offensive woes on a lot of things but I don't think you can blame it on Rex.
    Doesn't stop a lot of Jet fans with a agenda to blame him anyway..

All Pro
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

You can blame it on a declining center, mediocre guard play, mediocre RT play, no real WR other than Kerley, and an off and on running attack.

Hall Of Fame
    The question about drafting a QB next year would leave us with an interesting problem. Would we really want to carry 4 QBs on the roster in order to have at least one veteran or does drafting another young QB mean that Simms will be let go?

Veteran
    Let's ask this question. If you had a choice of any Qb coming out in the draft this year would you draft one? Also who would it be? Would you be willing to trade up?

But if the run game won more games like it did vs pats and saints, or g and p carried the weak rookie like it did with the weak Sanchez in 09 Rex would not get the credit ha.. It's Marty's call.. The minute he sees D playing all in for the run do people honestly believe he is going to just run the ball because" allegedly Rex told him so" and I'm curious, did Rex tell him he has to run the ball a certain percentage of time? Lol.. Guess Marty has to think, " well I'm only allowed to pass the ball 20% of the game should I waste 1 of my pass plays here or save it? " tough call

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Let's ask this question. If you had a choice of any Qb coming out in the draft this year would you draft one? Also who would it be? Would you be willing to trade up?
    Me? I would draft Tajh Boyd. Most consistent QB in college

Let's just draft QBs next year. We'll also buy every FA QB. ****, even get Tebow back. We'll let them all compete. That will obviously fix the QB issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Unlike you with your usual anti-Geno garbage I think taking a QB every year ala BILL WALSH and his philosophy is wise. I suggest taking one in the lower rounds and developing him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Unlike you with your usual anti-Geno garbage I think taking a QB every year ala BILL WALSH and his philosophy is wise. I suggest taking one in the lower rounds and developing him.
    As you would remember in 1965 we took QB's with our first and 2nd rd picks..