Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets are very close to being contenders

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets are very close to being contenders

Right now we are just a few pieces away from being legit contenders.

QB: Geno (He's the guy off of current reports) has talent. He's a football player and I believe he truly wants to get better. I'm sure he will. He's turning the ball over as a Rookie, big deal. It's a common thing. I think he will finish the season near 1:1 TD to INT, I think he gets two seasons at least as the starter.

RB: Our Committee is fine. Ivory has been showing a lot and Powell is serviceable. Maybe a late round pick could help, not major.

WR: Huge need. We need that #1 threat. Hill will get better but he can't be depended on as a #1, #2 yet. Take some pressure off the kid and he will make plays as a #3, #4 at worst then work his way up. Everyone is serviceable. Kerley, Nelson and Salas all are capable of making plays. I believe Kerley can be a #2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see Holmes back at a reduced rate surprisingly. It would be wise to take a WR with our 1st rounder. I would also look at a receiver in the later rounds just to bolster the position.

TE: Huge need. We need a pass catching threat. Winslow and Cumberland can make plays just not consistently. We need a Jordan Cameron, Jordan Reed. We should take the best TE available in the 2nd.

OL: A big need. We have an average O-Line. We should make a solid and then a serviceable, cheap OL signing in the FA. We should then use a 4th on OL. Brick is fine, winters could be replaced, mangold is fine, colon could be replaced, most likely will be, and Howard is average. The problem lacks with subpar play from the interior lineman. We need solid guards.

DL: The DL is the most solid area of this team. No need for addition.

LB: We could def use a consistent pass rusher from the OLB position. Barnes was doing a hell of a job but he went down. Hopefully he can still make plays next year. Coples will come up big but will disappear. He is a good player and will hopefully be more consistent. He will not be replaced. Harris and Davis are solid. Look to add someone at OLB in the draft with one of our 3rds.

DB: Add someone with decent production to medium pay to play CB. Cromartie isn't done but he is getting older. Wilson and Milliner look awful at times but they are serviceable

S: Our safeties aren't awful but they are average at best. I actually like Allen but Landry could be replaced. He's serviceable and Ed Reed will make more positive plays then plays that will hurt us. If we use a 3rd on a safety I feel like it will def make the position a little bit more effective.

FA:

Solid OL signing (medium pay)
    Cheap OL signing
    Decent CB signing (medium pay)

Draft:

1. WR
    2. TE
    3. OLB
    3. S
    4. OL
    5. WR

Is it me or does this just make too much sense. Maybe I'm being optimistic, however if we address just a few we are a solid playoff team. As long as we address WR thoroughly, and add a couple of linemen we are playoff team for sure. With a year for Geno to work with Marty and this squad to build some chemistry I think Genos play will increase to one of an average level. I could see Geno with a 20 TD to 15 INT stat line in his 2nd season. With a defense like ours, QB play like that is just enough to put you in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm being a homer considering that we aren't 3-7 thanks to two game deciding penalties but I feel that the spark is there we just need a playmaker to ignited it.
    Last edited by Martin&theJets; 11-22-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post, agree on most things. I would basically make a few nice FA pickups to solidify this secondary and that's it for Defence.

I would go all out offence in the draft so it can grow together. I would love us to go WR, TE in the 1st two rounds, heck I'd even go WR 1&2.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    8 td's and 16 int's is not ok in any level of football.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik will not draft in that manner. He had a very good draft last year, but did not draft by needs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Idzik will not draft in that manner. He had a very good draft last year, but did not draft by needs
    True dat, he will stick to his board, just hope its offence though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our RB committee is not good.
    I don't see why people want to continue to not recognize that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one who read this and saw that the Jets have holes everywhere except D-line (and maybe RB)? The only way they're close to being contenders is if Idzik has a monster offseason (which is of course possible) AND Geno takes a huge leap in year 2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Am I the only one who read this and saw that the Jets have holes everywhere except D-line (and maybe RB)? The only way they're close to being contenders is if Idzik has a monster offseason (which is of course possible) AND Geno takes a huge leap in year 2.
    LOL. Careful, you're going to be called a SOJF. I read it the same way though... everything but DL has to be upgraded or improve.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets View Post

QB: Geno (He's the guy off of current reports) has talent. He's a football player and I believe he truly wants to get better. I'm sure he will. He's turning the ball over as a Rookie, big deal. It's a common thing. I think he will finish the season near 1:1 TD to INT, I think he gets two seasons at least as the starter.

RB: Our Committee is fine. Ivory has been showing a lot and Powell is serviceable. Maybe a late round pick could help, not major.

WR: Huge need. We need that #1 threat. Hill will get better but he can't be depended on as a #1, #2 yet. Take some pressure off the kid and he will make plays as a #3, #4 at worst then work his way up. Everyone is serviceable. Kerley, Nelson and Salas all are capable of making plays. I believe Kerley can be a #2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see Holmes back at a reduced rate surprisingly. It would be wise to take a WR with our 1st rounder. I would also look at a receiver in the later rounds just to bolster the position.

TE: Huge need. We need a pass catching threat. Winslow and Cumberland can make plays just not consistently. We need a Jordan Cameron, Jordan Reed. We should take the best TE available in the 2nd.

OL: A big need. We have an average O-Line. We should make a solid and then a serviceable, cheap OL signing in the FA. We should then use a 4th on OL. Brick is fine, winters could be replaced, mangold is fine, colon could be replaced, most likely will be, and Howard is average. The problem lacks with subpar play from the interior lineman. We need solid guards.

LB: We could def use a consistent pass rusher from the OLB position. Barnes was doing a hell of a job but he went down. Hopefully he can still make plays next year. Coples will come up big but will disappear. He is a good player and will hopefully be more consistent. He will not be replaced. Harris and Davis are solid. Look to add someone at OLB in the draft with one of our 3rds.

DB: Add someone with decent production to medium pay to play CB. Cromartie isn't done but he is getting older. Wilson and Milliner look awful at times but they are serviceable

S: Our safeties aren't awful but they are average at best. I actually like Allen but Landry could be replaced. He's serviceable and Ed Reed will make more positive plays then plays that will hurt us. If we use a 3rd on a safety I feel like it will def make the position a little bit more effective.

FA:

Cheap OL signing

Draft:

1. WR
    2. TE
    3. OLB
    3. S
    4. OL
    5. WR

Is it me or does this just make too much sense. Maybe I'm being optimistic, however if we address just a few we are a solid playoff team. As long as we address WR thoroughly, and add a couple of linemen we are playoff team for sure. With a year for Geno to work with Marty and this squad to build some chemistry I think Genos play will increase to one of an average level. I could see Geno with a 20 TD to 15 INT stat line in his 2nd season. With a defense like ours, QB play like that is just enough to put you in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm being a homer considering that we aren't 3-7 thanks to two game deciding penalties but I feel that the spark is there we just need a playmaker to ignited it.
    Instead of a tight end in the 2nd, we need to draft a all purpose back. That would be D'anthony Thomas. Coples i would use as trade bait to move up in the 1st to draft Evans, or Watkins.If we stay put, my pick would be Kyle Van Noy, or maybe Vic beasley. My view is Thomas will do as much for the offense as a good wideout. He can return punts, kickoffs, use him sparingly in a two back set, and he'll open up the offense in a major way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't you guys contenders now? I think you're on the inside track for the playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't get why posters seem to consistently characterize Coples as "serviceable" and/or trade bait. He has been a beast. He plays every defensive snap, has the most QB pressures and has been stellar against the run. And he's doing it while learning a new position.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I just don't get why posters seem to consistently characterize Coples as "serviceable" and/or trade bait. He has been a beast. He plays every defensive snap, has the most QB pressures and has been stellar against the run. And he's doing it while learning a new position.
    I agree Sonny, check this article out. Read the entire article if you get the chance for tidbits on Davis role vs. Pace etal:

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/11/wee...ew/#more-19006

.................In my opinion, the most interesting tidbit to take away from this week’s snap counts is the use of Quinton Coples. Not only did he play better than he has all year from what I saw, but he didn’t miss a snap and spent a considerable amount of time in the role of a traditional, stand-up outside linebacker (played there 38% of the time).

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Coples’ most explosive game in 2013 since coming back from his injury came when he played standing up a lot. I think his issue with converting speed to power on the edge shrinks in severity when he gets to be more patient with his approach from his upright stance. When rushing as a hand in the dirt 5-tech lineman, he needs to transition from his burst to achieving leverage on his opposing lineman to quickly. Now, he can do so with his initial move or punch on the opponent. He’s such a peculiar player when you consider that he doesn’t need to be lower than his blocker to gain leverage like most do, but it works for him. This traditional position on the edge allows him to get the most out of his superb power from a rushing linebacker and efficient hand-usage.

One other note is that we likely won’t see Coples play as an inside lineman much ever again, as he didn’t for even one snap versus Buffalo. He did a little bit in previous weeks, but his long-awaited emergence as an edge rusher and the consistent play of Leger Douzable (16% of snaps) makes it unnecessary...................

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Aren't you guys contenders now? I think you're on the inside track for the playoffs.
    IMHO you are one of the more rationale posters on these boards.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets View Post

FA:

Cheap OL signing

Draft:

1. WR
    2. TE
    3. OLB
    3. S
    4. OL
    5. WR

Solid info. Opinions may vary, but spot on most. Too many needs to be contenders. They are a middle to bottom 12 team.

Needs.

Qb. It all starts here. Geno has regressed faster than mark. Mark never had a chance with Rex as a head coach. He's an old school run, run then pass if we need it. This never fosters qb development. Geno has a better oc and coaches, but now that Rex has slowed down MM. Same story different qb.
    O line. Need to completely revamp. Brick and mangold not what they used to be. The rest suck.
    Wr's. No #1or2. We have a bunch of 3,4&5's
    Db's. Terrible. Cro is back to the San Diego cro. No other starters on the team. Too many scrubs. Too slow.
    Lb's. The best thing is that Harris will hit the free agency market and some other dumb a$$ team will over pay him. Pace is gone and when Rex is gone the Coples experiment will end. The man is a lineman for gods sake.
    Te's Sudfeld is they only one that can block and can develop into a solid performer.

Most over the guys we have in these positions would not be on most nfl teams. None of the top 10 teams.

We can't possibly sign studs at every position. This is an uphill battle for any coach.
    Last edited by srobjets; 11-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Our RB committee is not good.
    I don't see why people want to continue to not recognize that
    Fair enough lets look at the team with the best Jet record the 1998 Jets after 10 games..That was a team with the best passing record in Jet history Vinny had 29 tds and 7 picks. 10 game rushing for the 98 team 1,155 yds 2013 team 1,295 yds so if our current backs are not good what does that say about Cumar,Leon Johnson and Sowell??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You said we are very close and then listed about 6 reasons why we are not close after all. Very close is being solid in almost all positions and needing one maybe two at tops quality starters. We are not close.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL that's exactly how I read it. Not to mention the strategy for upgrading the Oline is a repeat of exactly what was done this season. Plus Winters, a 3rd round pick who didn't play the first few games of the season and is just learning, should be dumped for a new 4th round pick. Brilliant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This team just needs to build a f'n offense already.

The OL is not amazing but it's also not terrible where it needs to be on top of the priority list. We need SPEED.

4 things:
    2 WR's. A young Vet who's reliable and drafting a potential #1.
    1 TE & RB with speed who causes match up problems.

Where we find these guys, I have no idea but that's all that's needed. Simple, get it done Idzik!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    2 and 5 in the AFc division and the Jets don't have inside track for the playoffs. Two more AFc losses and they are probably done . ( would give them seven losses ) There are probably going to be multiple teams tied at the end for the last playoff spot.( AFc conference record will decide it).